[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I capable of forming real emotional attachments?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Grey_Alien_by_Harnois75.jpg (37KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
Grey_Alien_by_Harnois75.jpg
37KB, 1024x640px
I've just had a falling out with a close friend and I realise now that I've treated her like absolute shit during it. I'm not sure if we'll stay friends and that upsets me. I enjoy spending time with her and talking to her. However, while I regret treating her badly because of how it's affected her feelings for me, I don't feel guilty at all. I know she's probably felt really bad about it, but the only reason it bothers me is because I won't have as much contact or fun with her in the future. So I guess I don't care about her in the strictest sense or even like her.

Also, I have no guilt at all for anything I've done, even really bad things.

I wasn't massively abused in childhood and I can't remember any specific traumas, but I was neglected and shunned for all of it by my family and everyone throughout elementary and high school.

What's wrong with me? Can I change this?
>>
What's wrong with you is that you treated someone who liked you like shit. Change it by being kind to her if she contacts you. that's pretty cruel that you don't actually care about her
>>
It's hard to say, OP. My experience in a long time surfing internet is that there is no real universal way to be human. Every time I've seen people post stuff about how they don't experience enough empathy, or how they are faking interest/enjoyment in a variety of things, faking having a personality etc... there will be replies pouring in from others saying it's normal.

Now I don't think what you describe is necessarily normal. Just the excuses people come up with to cover their bad behavior shows that most people don't like to think of themselves as the bad guy. But I do think there's plenty of people who are below average in empathy or other stuff like I mentioned, and just fake it on an everyday basis.

I am no psychiatrist but I've often heard that if you worry/wonder whether you're a psychopath, you aren't. I just think you are emotionally underdeveloped, no doubt at least in part because you grew up in a loveless home.
>>
>>18216792
Do you don't care for other people, but you always assumed others felt the same way until it struck you that you're the weird one and actually hurting others with your behaviour? Well, it was this way for me.

>Can I change this?
Yes, you can. It takes commitment though. Sounds like you're a functional psychopath like me. For some reason psychopathy is always thought of narcissistic, self centered personalities who don't care about others and therefore only use them to their amusement or other benefits. But I hate this definition, as I think of myself more as indifferent to most things. I think you should try and invest in people. Invest time and care into relationships like you invest time and care into other interests. Eventually you will form some sort of attatchment. I think we kinda need to trick ourselves to care more. Because while we don't care about others, I feel like we want to care. And we definitely don't want to be alone.

I hope this somewhat applies to your situation and I didn't sperged out for nothing.
>>
How can you not like her, if you regret you won't be able to spend so much time with her?
>>
You enjoy spending time with her, you're upset you won't be friends anymore and that her feelings for you will change. That means you probably like her. Get the fuck out and deal with it!
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.