[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I tell if I am smart enough for engineering?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: engineering1.jpg (216KB, 645x245px) Image search: [Google]
engineering1.jpg
216KB, 645x245px
How do I tell if I am smart enough for engineering?
>>
>>18216667
Are you willing to do boring and difficult bullshit for many hours a week in the hopes of being trapped in a cubicle farm with other nerds for the sake of a six figure salary and stability. Are you willing to do what other people make you do for the rest of your life? Are you willing to be considered boring by women because you are? Are you willing to buy a mcmansion, get mcmarried, and have a mclife?

If your answer was yes then engineering may be for you.
>>
Are you decent at math? Are you willing to put in hours? Do you like science and practical applications? Then you can be an engineer.

t. computer engineer
>>
>>18216690
What do you work as, Anon?
>>
>>18216690
Why not go for professional engineering and owning your own firm? Working for the government? Tensile testing? Also what do you do I'm curious because it sounds like what I'm about to be doing for a few years.

Anyway. OP if you don't enjoy math you might not enjoy engineering. That's really it. Engineering is a really broad term. You could work changing a layout in a warehouse or you could be testing strength of materials making sure they're up to code. Plenty of options all based in nothing crazier than cal 1 in math difficulty. However you WILL need to take way more than that to finish your undergrad as an engineer of any kind.
>>
>>18216667
Can you do math without a calculator?
>>
>>18216742
I switched from engineering to writing. Fucking being a cubicle monkey soon to be replaced by a pajeet.

>>18216787
Yeah you have the capitol for that out of school. Unless you're a true engineer who plays with robotics and builds things in his free time there is no semblance of authenticity when going into it for the stability or money.
>>
You don't have to be super smart for a engineering degree. You do have to sacrifice a lot of time studying, though. Unless you are in the bottom 25% percent of IQ you should be able to get it, obviously by putting a lot of work on it.
>>
>>18216797
>You have the capitol for that out of school.
Are you being sarcastic?

>no semblance of authenticity when going into it for the stability or money.
Like writing does?
>>
>>18216797
And I work at a drug and alcohol rehab center currently. I'm an orderly/intake/reception/nursing guy basically if it's legwork I do it.
>>
>>18216823
Writing inherently has authenticity if you are writing your own shit. Do you know what authenticity is?

Leave it to an engineer to pick up on sarcasm and human interaction.
>>
>>18216667
If you can add, subtract, and read directions you can do anything in stem.
>>
>>18216834
Engineering is abstract problem solving. If you are good at puzzles you will be good in engineering. But unfortunately you are eventually reduced to mundane repetitive projects in the real world. Troubleshooting guys seem to enjoy it the most.

A lot of engineers blow through my rehab center. They get lonely and tfw no gf and start drinking heavily.

I have much respect for the dudes who truly love it. But it's the poor souls getting into it for simple stability that I hate. You're resigning yourself to death if you take the safe road.
>>
>>18216841
Ive actually never met someone who worked in engineering. All the engineer grads I know are retail or wageslaving in some way. Not to come off as arrogant or anything, but school really is a joke. I screwed around for 4 years and got a math degree with top grades. Anyone can do it if you just follow directions and seek help when you need it.
>>
>>18216847
I live near intel, Honeywell, boeing, and nxt or nct or something like that (they took over recently). Math and engineering aren't the same. Math I'd agree because they can only teach what had been discovered so far. Engineering projects are "here's an abstract problem, now solve it". You have to do so creatively. Like put this marble in that bucket without touching it. Heres 100 bucks and an arduino. Then you have to buy motors and parts and do it with your team. Capstones are generally internships.
>>
>>18216860
Spoken like someone who hasnt taken higher math classes. Minus fundamental mathematics courses (linear algebra and friends) you take a ton of applied classes. I took a lot of cs engineering classes because they were cross listed.
Let's be honest steam is a meme.
>>
>>18216667
Everybody really is.
It's all a skill.

People with average intelligence can become engineers if they've the desire to do so.

I don't speak from experience as an engineer, but I've come to see that most skills in this world are easy to understand, pick apart, and comprehend.

It can take years, but you'll get to where you need to be to have engineering as a job. You just have to work harder.

You may not be an excellent engineer, but you'll be an engineer.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.