[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

expatriating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

What is it like to move countries/any tips?

I'm thinking of moving from London to Hong Kong when I finish university.
>>
Hong Kong is only worth living in if you're a hedge fund manager or something surely?
>>
Living in Tokyo (a capital city of a real country not a parasitic city state) is much more fun than somewhere like HK
>>
>>18215839
Same as London then?

Though HK is really a bad idea, specially looking at the future.
>>
؜>>18215828
You have to fluently speak the language of any place before you move. While there is a ton of English speakers in Hong Kong, the majority (including bilinguals) speak Chinese. Learn it.
>>
>>18215841

HK doesnt become fully integrated for another 40 years. The fact that it will only be around in its current form for a limited time just makes me want to go live there more - its a special opportunity

>>18215839

I have a really, really good degree, it will be easy to find a job.
>>18215849
My Cantonese is very shoddy, but the fastest way to learn a language is to immerse yourself in it I think
>>
>>18215841
Yeah, I don't know why you would choose to live in HK if you have a British passport. There are plenty of financial firms to work for at home.

HK taxes may be lower but early in your career it doesn't really matter.

>>18215869
>I have a really, really good degree, it will be easy to find a job.

No one ever said it was hard to find jobs in these economic centers - finding one that makes it worth going all the way there is another matter.
>>
Well I guess if you plan on doing not much else other than working and enjoy that it might not be bad.

It's really hard to imagine to living there for me knowing I wouldn't have any of the things I enjoy in Tokyo.
>>
>>18215967
>It's really hard to imagine to living there for me knowing I wouldn't have any of the things I enjoy in Tokyo.

Like what for example?
>>
>>18215980
Anything of cultural of geographic interest

What things are there to do in HK other than work and drink with your annoying expat/chinese colleagues?
>>
>>18216000
of -> or

No one likes actually living in Hong Kong, people just live there for the 10 (15?) % tax rate and the ease of doing business.
>>
>>18216000

Ive lived in London for 18 years and Oxford for 4. I have experienced enough culture to last me a lifetime.

And as for geography, Hong Kong has some of the most amazingly dramatic and dynamic geography of any city on the planet

And I like busy cities and complex systems, so I think I will like Hong Kong

>>18216003

I think I might like living there desu
>>
>>18216038
>And as for geography, Hong Kong has some of the most amazingly dramatic and dynamic geography of any city on the planet

Enjoy your $2k/month 25 sqm apartment
>>
>>18216038
>has never lived outside of the UK
>enough culture to last a lifetime

ok
>>
>>18216053
why do i care about my apartment? i only use my domiciles as a place to sleep. i work at the library, i relax out and about, i dont like to keep very many posessions.

i dont need a big apartment

>>18216053

I meant in terms of history and stuff.
in terms of world culture, what used to be the furthest Eastern british colony in the world seems like a pretty good way to experience some new cultures
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.