[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get my dad to fuck off sometimes?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

So basically, my dad is one of those people who thinks their way is right, and they always know what's best. Because of that, every time I try to ask him for advice or just talk to him about a basic problem I'm having, he dominates the conversation in a way that feels like he's just telling me what I should do, not helping me come to my own decision.

The thing is, he's a pretty smart guy and I have to admit that he gives compelling and logical reasons, but he also has a tendency to reject taking into account things he's not familiar with.

The biggest example in my life thus far is that I feel like he really pushed me away from studying what I originally wanted to in college. On one hand, I was going to study film, which admittedly would probably have been a waste of money. Now I'm studying finance (heavily influenced by him) and I like it well enough and I know it's a much more useful degree. On the other hand, would it have been better for him to encourage me to go study film and try it out?

I've talked to him about wanting to goto pro wrestling school as well (don't judge me) and he just pretty much says don't do it because it's a dangerous industry. I get where he's coming from, but at the same time, it's something I really want to try to do.

Gonna write a second post to explain further
>>
One of the few times I've flat out defied him was doing a study abroad program to china. It was around a time when things were tumultuous with N Korea, and he watches a lot of Fox News, so he just wasn't having it. Too dangerous, they're communists, if something were to happen, the air quality is horrible, etc., but I did end up going, loved it, and have ended up visiting like 3 more times since then.

Even in everyday conversations about politics or my schooling or miscellaneous topics, he just dominates a conversation and won't really concede that his point is not correct. He basically tells me that if I wanna goto grad school I need to do it as soon as I finish my undergrad, and I don't really wanna do that. My brothers and I have all had small business ideas we've pitched to him and he's seldom had any positive things to say about them, just kind of pokes holes in the idea, or rejects something if he doesn't know enough about it.

I feel like as a father he should be more supportive of what I want to do, and offer support and advice based on my plans, but instead he offers his own ideas of what my plans should be, but he often delivers them with sound logic. It's frustrating.

At this point desu I'm not even sure what I'm asking, just hoping someone may have had a similar experience and knows how to get my dad to kind of accept that I can make my own decisions based on what I want.
>>
>>18215160
>he also has a tendency to reject taking into account things he's not familiar with.
Well, that's how most humans are.

>would it have been better for him to encourage me to go study film and try it out?
Ideally yes. Practically, no if he was to pay for it, and more important, if you don't care enough about it to take suggestions from others in consideration. Artsy shit is a do or die thing. If you're unsure, it's not your cup of tea.

>I really want to try to do.
Then do it? The point of advice is to offer you another perspective, not direct your actions.

>he's a pretty smart guy
>he watches a lot of Fox News
Err....

> the air quality is horrible
Well, it's true if we talk about cities.

>won't really concede that his point is not correct
Comes with the attitude that makes him take Fox News seriously.

>he's seldom had any positive things to say about them, just kind of pokes holes in the idea
Which is good advice. Running a business isn't easy and you can always overlook a ridiculously small detail that decides about success of it. If you notice that he doesn't know shit about the thing he's talking about, simply don't take advice regarding to THAT.

>I feel like as a father he should be more supportive of what I want to do
Ideally. In reality, it's unlikely that you can do something about the way he thinks now, nor should. Keep that things in mind with your own kids. For now, just take the useful bits of his advice and ignore the silly ones. It doesn't really matter whether he accepts your decisions or not. As long they are sound, you're good.

>someone may have had a similar experience
Well, unlike your dad, most of my family doesn't really know what they talk about, so most of their advice comes from hearsay. So you're better off than some.
>>
Is finance really that great of a degree? I mean, what do you plan on being, a stock broker?
>>
>>18215226
Well compared to film it's much better. In terms of being able to get a job, I would imagine Finance is one of the better degrees to have, since nearly any company in any industry has a need. Is it a "great" degree? I don't know what you would consider to be great.
>>
>>18215160
Sounds like he keeps in helping you stay grounded in reality instead of following your pipedreams.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.