[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need urgent advice on suspicion of termites.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

File: Screenshot_20170411-012035.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170411-012035.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
Hello fellow anons,
I was browsing my phone when a bug flew and sat on my phone screen, I literally put my hand on it to kill it and it died. Didnt try to fly away or anything. I tried to look for the source it came from so I started to notice some really fine wood dust under a shelf like thing on the wall. It got me extremely paranoid. Can anyone tell if it is a termite or not?
>>
File: 20170411_001055.jpg (349KB, 918x930px) Image search: [Google]
20170411_001055.jpg
349KB, 918x930px
Lightened it to be able to see its wings structure.
>>
File: 20170411_004858.jpg (255KB, 826x557px) Image search: [Google]
20170411_004858.jpg
255KB, 826x557px
You can see the bumps on toilet paper for scale. Sadly I have no scale nearby right now.
>>
To be precise, I live in Stockholm in a place where it's common for people to rent the place for a month or so and leave.
And it is 6°C outside.
I couldnt take the picture of the wood powder as I put some tape over the holes. But it was extremely finely ground wood powder. Not chunky as most google pics showed.
I was thinking if the place got fixed before i moved in or the wood settled and thus naturally grinded against each other to leave this residue. Or maybe just where it wasnt treated, it got powdered off with time because its not the best quality.

The bug was really dark brown to black in color.
Smaller than a housefly and bigger than an ant.
>>
Anyone?
>>
Regardless if that specific bug is a termite or not, the holes on the furniture indicate you have termites. They should be almost perfectly round about 1-2.5mm in diameter. There should be several of them, in a natural looking pattern, and the direction into the wood should be angeled, and inside, completely smooth. If you take a piece off with a chisel, or saw a piece off, you should be able to see the corridors inside the wood and a good amount of fine wood dust should come out. Might even find a bug. This needs to be addressed now. Contact the landlord and let them know. Anything wooden inside the apartment that is not a priceless (and I do mean priceless) antique you should get to the dump, or better yet burn. The house needs to be treated by a professional. When you move, make sure not to take any of them with you.
>>
That looks fucking exactly like a fly
>>
>>18211969
First of all, thanks a lot foe your response.
Secondly, I couldnt see any holes. But i could see just some really fine dust.
>>
Dude you haven't got termites in stockholm. You might have dry rot, wet rot, woodworm or deathwatch beetles, but no not termites in that kind of climate.

That fly you squashed is a fly.

If you've got woodworm look for that characteristic holes in wooden objects. Holes can be historic and aren't necessarily a sign of ongoing infestation, they excavate small piles of sawdust and this friss is kind of a clear sign of ongoing infestation.

Also dry rot has a characteristic brown dust which is actually spores left behind by the fungus. It requires a certain level of humidity and further progress can be halted by resolving any damp and drying the area out. Wet rot usually has other signs like mould as well as a fairly distinctive smell because the area is actually damp/wet usually due to drains, overflowing or failed guttering, leaking roofs, plumbing or areas around baths or showers etc.

Deathwatch beetles damage wood during the larval stage, but need humidity to remain in residence and a problem, they won't inhabit dry timbre, you can treat for them and clear them up while also clearing up the humidity issues and they won't come back.
>>
>>18212153
Thanks my friend.
But what other signs should I look for?
There is no smell that i can tell of. And i am not sure if the place has had any water damage.
>>
File: 170411_125816.jpg (214KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
170411_125816.jpg
214KB, 640x480px
>>18212153
I looked with my wire camera and found this. I am not sure if it is a crack or a tunnel for them.
>>
File: 170411_125910.jpg (202KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
170411_125910.jpg
202KB, 640x480px
>>18212202
Wall is made out if a cardboard like material.
>>
Update:
I couldnt find any holes in the shelf I was suspecting. Woodworms are either deep inside or not there.
So the wood thing might have been a past issue. I am quite uncertain about it. There has been one night and no bug sighting(s) or timber dust on the tape I've put. And this morning I even looked closely to the inner side of the spot and area around it looking for holes with my wire camera (endoscope) but I did not find anything whatsoever. Except a crack like thing. There's no sign of anything outside. But then again, its painted.
I did kill a beetle like bug first day I moved in like a month ago. So maybe it had came out of that like the online articles say about their lfe cycles.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.