[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /adv/. I am a freshman studying computer science right now,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 42243.jpg (12KB, 192x192px) Image search: [Google]
42243.jpg
12KB, 192x192px
Hey /adv/.

I am a freshman studying computer science right now, but I have been coding since 3rd Grade and have even got professional experience under my belt.

But I just can't seem to focus in college... I will probably be losing one of my scholarships after this semester due to grades, and my parents will definitely be pissed, nothing that keeps me from coming back next year.

However, I have been reading up on my degree and there are apparently hiatus-style programs where at the end of the program, there is a significant chance you will be offered a job. This would literally be my dream, but I am not too sure if I should go through with trying to break into the industry now or if I should just finish my degree now with the shitty grades.

Thanks for reading
>>
>>18210053
Nice blog. Upvoted.
>>
>>18210067
No opinion?
>>
You will lack from theoretical background /mathematics if you choose this way.

If you are content developing with just programming then go ahead.
>>
>>18210109
Is there really anything that I can't learn on my own or do I actually need a degree to score jobs that use underlying theory/math?

Outside of analysis or gaming, is math higher than Linear Algebra really required?
>>
>>18210115
There is nothing you can't learn on your own, but college presents the information in a very compact and useful way (most of the time). I find it very hard to study this complex subjects on my own.

To be honest I am not sure of what it is required, that heavily depends on your application: you may need calculus, signal processing, electronics, communications, extensive.knowledge in software architecture, etc...

What would you like to do?
>>
>>18210146
I see what you mean.

I could see myself doing really anything to get out of college, as long as I could survive financially on my own.

Ideally, I would be involved with the development or maintenance/administration of a large tech project. However, I don't see myself sitting in a cubicle from 9-5, which is why I think jumping on the startup bandwagon could be a good idea.
>>
>>18210158
I think that for those kind of jobs being experienced in programming is sufficent.
>>
>>18210115
Learning something alone tends to be a lot harder than in college. That's why people still go to college, you know. So telling yourself "yeah, I can't learn this shit in college, I'll just do it alone" is pretty unrealistic. You CAN learn all that theory and math by yourself, but it will be just as boring, if not worse.

Most programming jobs don't require high-level math, but understanding it well WILL help you in your career. If I were you I'd stay in college. It seems that you're sure you want a career in CS and having a degree in the field will open up a lot of doors. And you will learn many things, no matter how you feel right now, even if your grades are shit.
>>
>>18210053

>ive been coding since 3rd grade
>I find it difficult in intro cs classes

hahahha nigga what. Stop bullshitting to try to be smart, into cs is literally '2d arrays, traversing loops, and primitives'. If you've been coding your whole life this should be a breeze even if you skip every class. It's fine to have problems anon, but to be arrogant about it is a joke.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.