[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what type of grades do I need to get into MIT and schools like that?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_3886.png (570KB, 1200x1196px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3886.png
570KB, 1200x1196px
what type of grades do I need to get into MIT and schools like that?
>>
>>18209010
You need high SAT scores (2200+). Also, it helps if you have some sort of documented engineering achievement (for example, creating something and having an article written about it), or if your a minority (required test schools are lower for certain groups)
>>
File: IMG_3448.jpg (189KB, 800x1428px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3448.jpg
189KB, 800x1428px
>>18209025
ty
>>
You need a 'catch' to get into these types of schools nowadays. Valedictorian, perfect SATs, and notable extra curriculars are NOT enough. People who get into these schools have: started their own volunteer organization, played clarinet with their local orchestra, created an app with thousands of downloads, created a new business that gives shoes made of tires to Africans, immigrated from a war-torn country, etc.
>>
I'm not trying to be /pol/ but is it true you'll get accepted even if you're below the standard if you are minorities or "oppressed"?
>>
>>18209418
No, it's not. You still have to meet the same standards as everyone else.
>>
>>18209418
The one thing that is remotely close to that is that they do try to have some geographical diversity, so with two applicants otherwise equal, the one from far away MIGHT get a slight edge.
>>
>>18209417
inaccurate. downvoted,
>>
>>18209418
It is fucking true. I was valedictorian in my class (took 13 AP classes I had like a 4.5 GPA or something) with 2200 SAT and I was rejected from every Ivy I applied to and MIT, I now go to my state college (which is pretty decent) with NO SCHOLARSHIPS FROM THEM. I'm a white male. My EC's were decent, I had awards on a global level for an engineering/problem-solving competition.

Hispanic male the year before I graduated got into MIT with full financial assistance. He was also valedictorian and had similar SAT. White female the year I graduated had a lower GPA and SAT than me, but was a published author (of a fantasy book though...kek) and got into MIT with full financial assistance. Salutatorian of my class got into Cornell and got a full ride to the same state school we both go to now, except he had fucking 200 points lower on his SATs.

If you are a white male, it is imperative that you mark yourself as hispanic male on your application. There are hispanic, white looking people so it isn't something they'll be able to prove.

All that said, it doesn't really matter where you go to undergrad if you're doing STEM as long as it's a decent school. You can get into an ivy league in grad school if you're STM, and if you're E you can just get hired fucking anywhere with good GPA. I worked for NASA this past summer and all the other interns I met went to state schools.
>>
>>18210025
Oh yeah, and I actually forgot about another white female that got into MIT the year before I graduated, nothing special but nice grades and SAT. My high school has never sent a white male to MIT, even though the upper level science courses were overwhelmingly white male. Obviously you are not instantly denied if you're white or male, but you have to be a lot smarter (like 2300 or 2400 SAT smart) to compete with minorities and girls that have lower SATs and grades.

It is even fucking WORSE if you're an asian male - god help you if you are.
>>
>>18210025
White dude here. Harvard grad. I assure you it's absolutely possible to make it. Half the school is white.
>>
>>18210147
>Obviously you are not instantly denied if you're white or male, but you have to be a lot smarter (like 2300 or 2400 SAT smart) to compete with minorities and girls that have lower SATs and grades.

Wow, that Harvard education really did well for your reading comprehension.

BTW, 25% of the students at Harvard are Jewish. I think we can assume that nearly 100% of Jewish students are white. So, by your own admission, non-Jewish non-Hispanic whites, which comprise about 60% of the US population, are represented by about 25% of students at Harvard. Yeah, I'm sure nothing fishy is going on there.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.