[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice and Wisdom

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: 1491659710716.png (486KB, 1320x4882px) Image search: [Google]
1491659710716.png
486KB, 1320x4882px
Lets do something a little different, /adv/.

What are some pieces of advice you wish you'd have been given at a young age? Let's try to keep it a bit away from dating and relationship advice, we get too many threads devoted to that already.

>inb4 "Kill yourself, it only gets worse."

I'll start off by saying I wish someone had told me to completely ignore all the people at school who will try to push you into a 4 year college.
>>
>>18206833
I would have lived a much happier life in my 20's if someone had stressed the importance of physical activity to mental health.
>>
File: 1490479667484.jpg (55KB, 437x468px) Image search: [Google]
1490479667484.jpg
55KB, 437x468px
>>18206833
To be myself. I tried to be cool in my early teens, rather than be myself. I literally sold my soul and still got bullied and discriminated against. Not my proudest moments. Now I'm in my mid 20s and just now I'm completely myself. I wasted more than 10 years for shit!
>>
>>18206863
>I literally sold my soul
>literally sold my soul
>>>/x/
>>
>>18206872
I sold my soul to get approval from the likes of you. Not my proudest moments at all. Peace.
>>
>>18206878
You meant figuratively then. You figuratively sold your soul.
>>
File: 331204404.jpg (7KB, 250x242px) Image search: [Google]
331204404.jpg
7KB, 250x242px
>>18206887
Yeah, maybe. I just literally wanted to type literally to appear cool. Fuck. I'm still not myself. Shit!
>>
>>18206894
Learning the definitions of words and learning how to use them to communicate in direct manners instead of falling into a trap of part half baked mirrored idiosyncrasies and part stupid internet/television memes would help.

It's OK though. Not everyone can be cool.
>>
>>18206844
true story
>>
>>18206833
>Work out, at least five days a week.
>Control how much you eat
>Avoid buying nonessentials worth more than a few dollars without waiting 24 hours
>Care less about what others think, if they matter they'll stick with you anyway
>Remember: most people are afraid of physical confrontation. Always step up, always appear eager at the prospect of escalation, respond to invasions of person space my getting even closer, hold eye contact.
>>
Enlist you dumb fuck. I know it seems scary being away from home, family, and friends. I know military service is inherently dangerous. But you're incredibly intelligent, scored in the 93rd percentile on the ASVAB, have no idea what you're doing with your life, and the air force is drooling to get you on board. It'll beat the next decade which you will waste recovering from addiction and a series of dead end jobs before learning a trade.
>>
>>18206911
>Remember: most people are afraid of physical confrontation. Always step up, always appear eager at the prospect of escalation, respond to invasions of person space my getting even closer, hold eye contact.
>It's more important to look tough than to actually know how to handle yourself.
This is a great way to get eaten alive when you finally find a dude who can handle himself.
>>
>>18206921
No, its a great way to become someone who can handle yourself. Fighting is what makes you better in a fighting. Are you likely to get eaten alive at some point? Sure, theres always someone stronger.

More importantly, entering into situations knowing you can handle yourself and being unwilling to respond to the subtle intimidations and games that many people play puts you in a position where you can avoid many conflicts and shut down most physical manipulation.

The trick, for me, has always been to be nonaggressive but to respond in ways that don't necessarily fit the situation. When you make something wrong but difficult to identify, when you're unpredictable, people behave more cautiously.

Is the eventuality of losing a fight worth spending your life as a doormat?
>>
Don't bother with people, they can't stand you anyway.
>>
>>18206933
>Fighting is what makes you better in a fighting.
No, it's a great way to get killed. As you said earlier, most people are scared of fighting, so half the time you get into a fight with some dude on the street or at a bar, weapons become involved, or his friends get involved.

>Is the eventuality of losing a fight worth spending your life as a doormat?
No, of course not, but the possibility of death or serious injury means you should avoid fights when possible, train hard to know what you're doing when you *are* in a fight, and try to remain cool under pressure, rather than aggressive.
>>
>>18206947
You're entitled to your opinion. I spent the first half of my 20s paying the bills by being someone else's consequence and I've come out on top in more than a couple of fights I had absolutely no business winning on paper.
>>
>>18206960
It's not about the fair fights man, I can handle myself in those, it's about when you hurt somebody's feelings and they were packing. I used to love fighting in my teens, but I had a wakeup call when I handed this guy his own ass, then while I was walking away he pulled a gun on me, and I had to spend four torturous minutes with my life resting on a butthurt meth addict's restraint and mercy.
>>
>>18206971
I'm well aware that its not about the fair fights. Its about knowing what your own limits are and how willing you are to do something that could, potentially, ruin someone's life. I'll take a butthurt meth addict over a cop who owes the wrong guy money.
>>
>>18206985
Each has their own path. Be safe man. Peace.
>>
give me some wisdom.

whole life depression, probably developed schizophrenia. Really really low self esteem while i have everything (personality and material wise). All i did my whole life is love others, now that everyone got enough love everyone built up themselves and im left alone. Still plenty of friends but dont care about that.

I realized if i wont get emotional with my crush, i might collapse even worse and fall deeper than im now. I dont think i will make it till my 28 then. So question, how do i placebo love?
>>
>>18206998
See a psychologist.

>inb4 I saw one nothing helped

See a different psychologist. Don't just go with the first one that will take your money.
>>
>>18207035
I dont want to follow that path. I wanted a cat, but my mom didnt allow. So i want something i can do and hide
>>
>>18207046
>[I don't want to be healthy.]
Well okay then, have fun. Not sure what you're here for.
>>
Bite your tongue if you're getting an erection you don't want, the pain takes priority in your nervous system, and the erection will stop. Very helpful for teenagers. Less helpful for masochists.
>>
>>18207068
this nigga salty as fuck
>>
>>18206833

Ignore 99 percent of the advice you get.
>>
>>18206833
>in certain things women don't want to be treated like men want to be treated. Sometimes imagine them as little girls (figurably) to see them more objective and less subjective
>start with martial arts. When you always feel afraid and anxious with people there's nothing better to conquer this fear
>always work part time besides uni
>the times you felt the worst always were the times you were the loneliest. Surround yourself with people you enjoy and look up to
>when working out train your neck too to look more masculine
>>
>pursue the career not the woman
>don't drink too much. Media makes it look fun but its dangerous
>if she has more than 2 tattoos get out
>if they have unnatural hair color ie green/blue gtfo
>there's nothing wrong with normal
>work out, don't smoke so much pot
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.