[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mother figures

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7

File: 1491587523248.jpg (42KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
1491587523248.jpg
42KB, 420x420px
Is it possible for single mothers to teach their son on how to be a man? While also being kind and compassionate my mother also made sure to teach me on what it takes to be a man and not be a massive wuss. Are there any people on this site who were raised by single mothers that taught them how to be a men?
>>
>>18206655
>how to be a man
What does that mean?
>>
It is impossible for a woman to raise a man
>>
File: 1490752217445.gif (2MB, 350x200px) Image search: [Google]
1490752217445.gif
2MB, 350x200px
>>18206659

You know exactly what that means. Dont try to confuse the issue with your dishonest, psuedointellectual questions. Single mothers cant raise a man.
>>
raised by single mother here short answer is no. you're probably gonna have to teach yourself how to be a man if you didnt have other strong father figures in your life. fortunately, I had my friends' fathers and my grandfather who took me under their wing. my best advice is to read books on the subject, or try therapy
>>
>>18206706

This absolutely.
>>
>>18206702
Statistically speaking, no. They can't. Children raised by single mothers are on the short road to drug addiction, prison, psychological disorders, homelessness, and basically everything bad in society.
>>
File: 1464721410993.jpg (8KB, 300x196px) Image search: [Google]
1464721410993.jpg
8KB, 300x196px
>>18206725
>>18206655

Sorry, this was supposed to go to OP
>>
>>18206655
Uh... I'm. I'm really not sure. It's hard to balance the whole compassionate motherhood thing with the kind of shit a dad sometimes has to do. You can't always be your kid's best friend if you're trying to teach him male values.

Consider enrolling him in a martial arts school with a male teacher. Not only will it help with respect a lot, it'll help him with confidence, problem solving, and keeping his cool, as it helped me.

Also, this is going to sound kind of lame, but making sure he gets into media with lots of male role models might be a good idea, I know that helped me a lot. No dad in my life, but the right media can make a lot of difference. For me, it was the Joe Rogan podcast, because not only do you have a strong, compassionate, thoroughly man's man as your host, he's bringing on a huge variety of guests from fighters to farmers to astrophysicists and everything in between.

That's the best I got. No male role model in my life, so it was all media for me.
>>
>>18206655
>>18206733
Also if you aren't into the podcast idea, there are loads of books and movies that could be considered if you think that would be better, I just think the best thing about a podcast vs. other media is there's more of a feeling of getting to know the people, rather than just seeing them in a role or reading their words.
>>
>>18206725
>Children raised by single mothers are [more likely] to [suffer from] drug addiction, prison, psychological disorders, homelessness, and basically everything bad in society, [but this statement is based off a correlation, not a definite causal link, so saying single mothers are the definite cause would be inaccurate.]
>>
>>18206702
>You know exactly what that means.
Nope, explain
>>
>>18206655
>Is it possible for single mothers to teach their son on how to be a man?

no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPAfS8-wm8g
>>
>>18206774
That's a terrible citation and you should know that.
>>
>>18206774
Jesus fucking christ, he's citing Freud in a serious academic context and you want us to talk him seriously?
>>
>>18206751
Have they identified a cause then? Until they do, that's a hell of a lot of negative correlations to discount, and I'll continue to be against single-motherhood. Abortion is preferable.
>>
>>18206790
There's a reason academics have a hard barrier between equating correlation with causation. Nicholas Cage movies correlate with spikes drowning deaths, very precisely. Does that mean Nicholas Cage movies cause drowning deaths? Of course not. There are other factors involved, and until a direct causal link is established, you just continue investigating until you find your link.

"It seems about right to me!" (what you're doing, right now) is the bane of science.
>>
OP here. I have a few more follow-up questions.
Have any of you ever seen a competent that tries to provide a male role model in their child's lives?

Can a child have only a male role model in their lives and turn out completely fine?

Can gay people with children serve as proper role models for their children?
>>
>>18207063
*competent single mother
>>
File: 1490563299424.gif (213KB, 250x263px) Image search: [Google]
1490563299424.gif
213KB, 250x263px
>>18206798
>>18206757

4chan has been invaded lately by commie feminist shills. No the government cant be daddy. No it doent take a village.

Inb4 some woman responds with mor bullshit. GTFO
>>
>>18207063
>Have any of you ever seen a competent that tries to provide a male role model in their child's lives?
I've known plenty of competent single moms, but I don't know if they were actively trying to be a male role model.

>Can a child have only a male role model in their lives and turn out completely fine?
It obviously varies from kid to kid, and a boy is obviously going to have a better time of it, but yeah, I'd say so. Couple of my friends grew up sans mother, and they're fine.

>Can gay people with children serve as proper role models for their children?
They're capable of doing so, yes.
>>
File: 1491691016466.png (406KB, 472x564px) Image search: [Google]
1491691016466.png
406KB, 472x564px
>Can a child have only a male role model in their lives and turn out completely fine?

A kid needs a mom too.

>Can gay people with children serve as proper role models for their children?

Yes. To be gay.
>>
>>18206655
Why do people here think that kids role models are their parents? Just saying most are from TV or internet i.e people you like/ characters
>>
>>18207108
>Just saying most are from TV or internet i.e people you like
Too true.
>>
>>18207108
>characters
>fictional role models
Degeneracy.
>>
>>18207108

Isnt that kinda sad though?
>>
>>18207130
Not necessarily. There are way better role models on the internet than most people have in real life.
>>
>>18207108
Past a certain age I don't think it counts as a role model unless 1) it's a person you interact with in real life 2) this person does not treat you specially (so most parents don't count)
>>
>>18207108
That's what I thought too when I was younger. But you grow up and realize that parents are your role models. I didn't admit it to myself at 13 but I know now that my father was and is my role model for me as a person and as a man.
>>
>>18207128

This
>>
>>18206798
>bane of science

Nope, lack of funding is the bane of science. I'm using available information to form an opinion, and the evidence so far supports my opinion. I'll be happy to change it if contrary evidence comes out, but it seems that single motherhood is common to an increased risk in all those things, and that's what we call a common denominator. I'd be pleased to hear it isn't true, because it would help me feel a lot better about the drastically increasing rates of single-motherhood across the US.

Tangentially related, lots of /pol/acks claim blacks are inferior, criminal, stupid, etc, but a common argument against that is the huge gap in rates of single motherhood between blacks and whites. Do you think that argument has no merit?
>>
>>18207128
Nothing wrong with role models outside your family, or role models you've never even met, but fictional role models kind of defeats the purpose. Because they're fictional they didn't earn their achievements, they have no wisdom to share or methods to emulate.
>>
>>18207155
>no really, the correlation means causation here because I said so!
God damn it.

>the evidence so far supports my opinion
What evidence?
>>
>>18207128
Real people have flaws so to have them as role models in its self is degeneracy. Kek
>>
>>18206798
It's not that difficult to figure out why children of single women are worse off. Just think about it. Sure there are going to be outliers but two parents are better than one in almost every case.
>>
>>18207147
For you yes. Everyone has a different person or character they look up to and want to be like. Kek
>>
>>18207156
Actions speak louder than words. Emulating a good character is often better than a flawed person. However the characters themselves are often flawed as they were created by people. Only human after all.
>>
>>18207160
Making a distinction between correlation vs causation is essential when you want to find the relationship between two things happening at the same time. Not when the one thing is plainly and logically occurring before the other.
>>
>>18207168
Yes but the person holding the role model also has flaws, so holding a flawless being as a role model would be arrogant and pointless.

>>18207181
Yes but the point of a role model isn't just to say, "This is a person I like," you're saying, "this is a person I'd like to emulate and grow from, someone against whom I will measure my own achievements and failures."

It's better if a role model does have flaws, because if they're perfect they've demonstrated no ability to overcome adversity.
>>
>>18207181
>Actions speak louder than words.
And no fictional character has ever taken any action or said any words, so that was a total non sequitur.

>>18207186
That doesn't account for any possible floating variable. The two could be symptoms of a third factor that isn't being considered here.
>>
>>18207191
No one ever successfully is there role model so essentially his means try to be the best you can as much alike as possible.
See 168. You haven't read the whole thread or simply don't understand what has been said. I do agree with what you say to an extent. i digress.
>>
There is a big socioeconomic component to this discussion too. Single mothers are also over represented with lower than average incomes even among the compared individual members of a regular marriage
>>
>>18207186

Seriously is this question really that complicated.
>>
>>18207197
There could be a third factor and limitless other factors but single motherhood is becoming an elephant in the room.
>>
>>18207197
You view a characters actions in a show or read about their actions in a book. How they deal with certain situations what kind of person they are. derp derp derp
>>
>>18207240
Single mothers can raise any child just as well as any other type of family. There are many many different variables and factors and environments that affect upbringing and individuals differ therefore even he exact same family type with all the exact same variables will not turn out the same I'm a scientist so believe me when i say how to conduct a non biased experiment or how best to find the truth or no biased result.
>>
>>18207220
>No one ever successfully is there role model so essentially his means try to be the best you can as much alike as possible.
You aren't literally trying to become them. You're aspiring to learn from them and be like them, not be their doppelganger.

>See 168.
Allow me to welcome you to 4chan. In the future, you can tag posts by clicking their numerical value while you're typing mid sentence, like this >>18207168 . And to address that point, since you seem to think it matters (it doesn't), literally every human ever has had flaws, as will the person who's looking for a role model in the first. place.

>>18207242
You're missing the point. The thing is, you're trying to learn how to be a better person in whatever aspect you look to your role model for. Let's just say for example that you want to be a really good martial artist, so you start studying Rickson Gracie. You look at what his methods are, how he's gotten where he is, what challenges he's faced, and you can learn from them. On the other hand, the same person could have looked to Iron Fist the Marvel character, but that would be pointless, as the author who wrote Iron Fist isn't a martial artist, he has no idea what it takes to be a good fighter, what the best methods to train are, how to overcome distractions, etc.

Fictional stories are written to entertain and to illustrate concepts, not to teach practical skills (with very few exceptions). If you're trying to be better in some regard, it's always better to pick a real person as a role model, because not only do they prove that what you want is possible, they can provide you guidance in how to get there.
>>
Kind of grew up with single mom
Answer is no. They will teach you how to be a fucking wimp and a white knight keyboard warrior who can't form a valid opinion.
every mom is different, so maybe not, but if it werent for my uncontrollable irish rage and love of 4chan, i'd be a fucking NORMIE
>>
>>18207240
So you say, but you've done little to back that up.
>>
File: SdBxbA4X.jpg (18KB, 396x396px) Image search: [Google]
SdBxbA4X.jpg
18KB, 396x396px
>>18207269
You lack understanding and any concept of looking at realistic characters etc also it's called laziness for the tagging working this tablet is a hassle . Anyway I'm not here to educate you on my opinion nor do i care to peace hahaha
>>
>>18207304
>I already knew that brah
>not here to teach u lol
>peaceoutdontreplyhaha

Newfag confirmed.
>>
>>18207168
>An author's imaginary friend is my roll model!
lol, k
>>
>>18207318
Assumption confirmed
>>
>>18207327
Kid, when someone does that to you, they're trying to pull a response out of you, it's called bait. The reason it was specifically done here is because people who've been here for a while don't bother replying to accusations of newfag. You walked into it, but it's fine, next time just ignore it and no one will know.
>>
File: gjsxU0s.gif (832KB, 350x497px) Image search: [Google]
gjsxU0s.gif
832KB, 350x497px
>>18207352
Assumption confirmed
>>
>>18207352
Retard, I can reply to whomever I want and it doesn't mean I won or lost some silly game.
>>
>>18207372
>>18207401
>insults and memes
Okay kids, calm down, this is the advice board and I was offering advice because you two walked into an obvious blunder, but now I see you were only pretending to be retarded. Either way, I wish you the best. Out.
>>
>>18207419
Lol you got baited dude
>>
>>18206655
of course mothers can raise good kids, we dont need parents as long as we can watch movies and anime to le arn from stories on them and stuff. all parents do is food and pay the bills so the power stays on, we can raise ourselfes besides that
>>
>>18207456
This guy gets it
>>
>>18207456
At this point you people are your own parody. I don't even need to argue my case anymore, thank you, you've done more for me than I ever could have.
>>
>>18207542
Still getting triggered by others opinions :)
>>
>>18207574
What? I've posted exactly three times in this thread, you're confused.
>>
OP here. Just two more questions before this thread dies out.
Can girls raised by single fathers turn out perfectly fine?
And is there anyone on this board who wishes they had a mother figure?
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.