[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice on job oppertunaty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 1450130009084.jpg (740KB, 1324x1101px) Image search: [Google]
1450130009084.jpg
740KB, 1324x1101px
Hi,
In short I am a college dropout been unemployed for some time and didnt found a job yett. No where I got accepted.
Now I applied for a work/study course as a security guard. The work mostly takes place inside a prison. Where are support guard mostly doing passive overwatch or guiding of external staff.

The dilemma: I am a bit scared. The place hold pretty hardcore criminals. And I used to have low self sesteem. Mostly because I tought very negatively of myself. This has gotten better in time.

But I wonder if I should continue with this. Other option is to find some other job witch might earn me a bit more cash but not study paper.

Any advice? Please ask if its not clear.
>>
Everyone is scared their first few weeks being a CO
You get used to it
Just keep your head up
Not the best advice so have a free bump
>>
Thanks for bump, any1 else?
>>
>>18199328
Used to work as a prison guard, and you really don't gotta worry too much. There's rules that everybody follows, and ultimately prisoner/guard interactions come down to the bare minimum of what's absolutely necessary. They don't want to deal with you, you don't want to deal with them, and generally when you do interact everybody is polite, or at the very least neutral. You don't step on their toes, they won't step on yours. One of the most common complaints you hear from prison guards is being bored.

I just listened to this podcast where George Perez (a comedian and ex-convict) talks quite a bit about being in prison, and he does a pretty good job of explaining what it's like from the prisoner's end, and by and large, they aren't out to get you. Might be a bit different if you're talking a supermax prison, but still could be interesting for you. Might want to skip past all the parts where they're talking about comedy and history though, as that's not really pertinent, though if you have the two hours to waste, it's a great podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnb6jXg0VB4
>>
I have no experience with work in prisons, but I doubt they'll let you get in dangerous situations without sufficient backup or protection.

If you're that worried about it, you could always work out and get buff to feel more self assured. Also, people generally reciprocate the way you treat them. If you treat inmates with some human decency they probably won't be out to get you, either.
>>
>>18199876
>>18199917
Thanks so much for your replies. Will keep that podcast linked. :D

Its for almost a year so so but the pay is minimal and probbaly only 32 hours in the week. But its hard to find another job also.. :S
>>
>>18199952
>pay is minimal
What are you getting paid? If your're getting paid anything less than about $15 an hour you're getting ripped off, though that applies to America only.
>>
Hijacking your thread to ask for job advice:
I've been all but offered a job that would double my salary, but I am more than likely going to move to California with some friends of mine within the next 6-12 months. Is it totally unscrupulous to accept a job that I might not stay with?
>>
>>18199975
>Is it totally unscrupulous to accept a job that I might not stay with?
Not at all man, do it! Unless there's literally something in your contract saying that you'll stay there for a long time, you have nothing to fear.
>>
>>18199966
Welll from what i have heard its the legal minium wage. Other jobs, like in a factory or something might pay more
>>
>>18199328
Sheriffs Deputy here. 6 years on corrections 2 years street.

It gets better lad. I was terrified my first day absolutely scared to death. But you'll be a veteran soon enough. It becomes just like any other job. It takes time no doubt and you should seriously consider training your body more if your organization doesn't offer some sort of academy to go to. I went through a full 4 month LEO academy and a further 3 month supplementative sheriffs academy specifically for corrections and court security. You need PT and you need defensive tactics instruction.

You're going to be scared but once you realize you're not weak that you can fight back it gets easier. Also remember you're part of a team. You're shift mates are there for you. I don't know your organizations codes but our code 1 assistance call means you have 20 deputies at your location in less then 2 minutes and then putting boot to ass.

Stick with it friend, build your confidence up. If you aren't offered training then on your days off get out to the gym and start a weight lifting routine. Do squats and 30 minutes of cardio after all weight lifting for maximum gains. Sign on for any local judo workshops or training if you can. If you can't use YouTube. Seek help from your shift mates. Soon you'll be veterano!

Corrections is hard work and often not just physically taxing but mentally taxing to the extreme. But it's incredibly good at giving you a foundation for success in a law enforcement career.

Above all. Remember the best and greatest tool on your belt is actually your brain and your words. De escalate. Relate. Talk. The best fight you'll ever be in at a jail or corrections facility is the one you talked down.
>>
>>18201428
Wow thanks allot for this long reply. Helps.
The program let you work inside the prison for about a year. Then you graduate from the study and are you free to look elsewhere.
There is a change the prison will want to hire you for longer but we are enrolled by a security organization

Thing is: i often tougth I am not fit for security jobs because I am not a "tough guy" and I am sometimes scared of stupid stuff.
But dealing "justice" or atleast playing a bigger in part in society then just making money appeals also.

I believe that confidence will grow. But also afraid I might go down with the pressesure, if you know what i mean.
I sometimes doubt I can standup against people.
>>
>>18201660
Glad my reply helped you friend. Don't think low of yourself, Iv always considered myself a nice guy. I'm big and pretty tall. But I'm more gentle giant then hard ass kicker.

But people don't know that. I'm intimidating to people and that's a plus in corrections. You just need to fake it till you make it basically. Think about your ideals of justice and public service. Use that to form the basis of your confidence.
Remember inmates know only what you tell and show them. I'm not sure your location but in the US where I'm at the best advice I received was the get respect show respect rule. Treat your charges like civilized people and expect civilized conduct in return.

Your confidence will grow and yes the pressure will be immense but remember you're not alone you're part of not just a team. But as a member of a law enforcement/corrections and security organization you are part of an international brotherhood. Don't be afraid man, remember you keep fighting till the lights go out. If it helps when you have to fight. Get angry. Remember something that makes you furious and use it. It's not the best option but until your trained and confident it's the best stop gap.
>>
>>18201428
I love how I read the first few sentences of your post and see the hardened yet understanding fatherly glare, the thick mustache and he pack of Marlboro by your keyboard. Thanks for your service my guy.
>>
>>18199985
Alright, thank you for the advice. I just really hate disappointing people so stuff like that bothers me.
>>
>>18199328
Why not just join the police/sherriffs? If you're going to be working in a prison, might as well get that big union and those sweet government benefits backing you up.

In California, the Sheriffs run the state jails, so you'll spend your first few years there doing jail stuff, and then you're put out into the world doing regular sheriff shit.
>>
>>18201411
Jesus dude, don't take minimum wage to be a fucking prison guard, you could be working at MacDonalds for that money, and you wouldn't be hanging around criminals all day.
>>
>>18202033
Thanks again for the reply. Indeed wise advice, really helps. And your advice on confidence is inspiring.

I am from Europe, and the job is probbaly minium wage because you still go to school. We work in the prison but we arent directly handeling the prisonners. But we are arround thats true.

Gentle giant ur advice is really helpfull. Still not sure butt does help to make a decision. I am almost 30 en dont have much filling on my resume so doing something like this and have atleast a job degree on my resume might help. More factors that count: dont have much of a social life, did you have that? Is it doable to do such stressfull work and dont have much people to talk too? Ofcourse you have your teammates.
>>
>>18199328
I don't want to be mean, and I intend the best, but dude you need to work on spelling. I think many of the doors you found were shut this time around may be open if you apply yourself and learn to use language well. It not only makes for better communication, but I find writing helps organize my thoughts and feelings.
>>
>>18202805
>>18199328
Btw, I liked your picture enough that I saved it. It's good stuff.
>>
>>18202805
No probs, its mostly because of my keyboard being a bit broken and typing in a hurry. Thanks for the tip tough.
>>18202810
Your welcome, not mine tough, saved it sometimes also from the advice board :D
>>
>>18202496
Glad I'm helping man. As to your questions no not really. My social life was very low. I had 2 close friends and my father who was a cop for 50 years. So to be fair when I had problems he always understood and gave me advice.

I destressed after work with vidya and reading. I also hung out a lot with my coworkers on my off days. Made a lot of friends and go out a lot more got more sociable which improved my confidence and life immensely.

Your plan is a good one as I see it friend. Get experience for your resume see where this takes you. It's certainly going to be a learning and growing experience for you.

Now I'm off to work myself. 12 hours of of patrol. Stay safe out there buddy.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.