[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting My Emotional Intensity Back (Depression Recovery)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

I was diagnosed depressed a few years ago, been recovering. I have no desire for self-harm or suicide anymore, but I find it much harder than before to get shit done and not just sit around all day long, and I think it's due to my emotions. I don't seem to experience things as passionately or strongly as I did before I was depressed. And growing up, I was taught to not express my emotions and keep a straight face all the time. Now I want to change that because I think that the less emotional connection I have to my environment, the less I can be active within it. But I don't know where to start. What can I do to better develop and express my emotions in a safe, controlled way so that I can be eager to live my life and not just sit around all day?
>>
>>18196503
>What can I do to better develop and express my emotions in a safe, controlled way so that I can be eager to live my life and not just sit around all day?
the thing you a looking for is a little thing referred to as "drive" or more commonly as "motivation"

if there was a single person on Earth able to teach others how to be motivated, they would be the wealthiest person in the world

the drive to force yourself into uncomfortable situations for your own sake and the will to persist and continue in order to achieve your longterm goals and dreams isn't something you can be taught or told, it's something that has to come from within you and is more like a habit or a talent that you nurture and develop

your emotions are a part of your being, they're a state that your brain forces on you that is supposed to inform you of how you 'feel'
instead of trying to bottle up your emotions or suppress them, think about them, and try to understand what you are feeling, when, and why
>>
>>18196521
> think about them, and try to understand what you are feeling, when, and why
it seems like that's critical, eh? if emotions can't be controlled or used, if they're suppressed or ignored or let loose impulsively, then no drive or motivation can form for any long-term goals, no?
>>
>>18196657
Emotions arent that connected as you seem to think. You can feel the extremes of happiness without ever feeling the extremes of anger.

There is a book called mind over mood that deals with controlling EI. Really though you are probably just grasping at straws. You cant just make yourself motivated any more than you can make yourself happy. What you can do is to force yourself to do things and control your thoughts to create an environment that allows motivation to flourish.

Good luck on your travels but try not to make an excuse for why you feel a certain way. Face your emotions for what they are.
>>
>>18196728
>controlling EI
What's EI?
>You cant just make yourself motivated any more than you can make yourself happy. What you can do is to force yourself to do things and control your thoughts to create an environment that allows motivation to flourish
Ain't that the million dollar struggle, controlling thoughts and changing the environment. From a healthy environment/thought process, then we'll get the motivation
>>
>>18197023
Emotional intensity. The book is mostly about people who are depressed or suffer physical ailments from suppressing their emotions.

You can control your thoughts. Most of the time you dont realize you have thoughts that feed on each other. If you realize you can stop yourself. Some people use mantras like repeating "you can do this" "people like you" "you have friends who count on you". I personally find that just noticing my habitual thoughts helped cut down on them.
>>
>>18196503
depression is all in your head. live a healthy fulfilling life and you'll be fine.
>>
>>18197598
nonsense
>>
>>18197549
Thanks, I'll take a look at the book
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.