[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to improve home security?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: halp.jpg (26KB, 320x239px) Image search: [Google]
halp.jpg
26KB, 320x239px
My apartment is unfortunately the most secluded unit in the building and has two very large windows near some exterior stairs (they're about as wide as I am tall). Hoodlums seem to enjoy forcing these windows open or shattering them. While my unit usually isn't a target for theft, last night someone decided to shatter my windows while I was asleep and almost got in before being scared off by my partner. I'm usually alone so I'm absolutely terrified of them returning when I'm home.

To give some context, I'm a fairly small and feeble person so my priority is to prevent intruders from entering my property rather than defending myself once they're in. My state does not give CCW licenses easily so that is not a realistic option right now. How can I secure my windows and home better against burglars?

I already have a video security system, additional locks on windows, reinforced door locks to prevent people from kicking it in, and recently slapped a giant piece of wood across my windowsill. I'm working to get security bar permits and to install some sort of motion activated alarm system near the windows.

tl;dr: What are some recommended measures I can employ to increase my home safety? Thanks in advanced!
>>
>>18196492
why the fuck would you need a CCW?

Just get a shotgun. Rem870 or moss500.

Put the box leaning against the window.
>>
>>18196495
I was trying to suggest that guns aren't an option for me, but maybe putting a gun box in the window would be a big enough hint. Thanks!
>>
>>18196492
Buy a handgun.

Often time shotguns (unless you have a class 3 and can have short barrel shotguns) are clumsy, easily fought over, and not very tactical going around corners.

Take a handgun safety course first, Then start with a .22, then 9mm or .40, Then if you don't have girly wrists but a 10mm or .45 caliber handgun full size handgun.

I would suggest Glock, HK, or Smith and Wesson.

Laser sights and night sights are very important for home defense. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to aim in the dark until your standing there in the dark with you handgun
>>
A pic of the window would help
>>
>>18196504

>I was trying to suggest that guns aren't an option for me

So having your house broken into and possibly being hurt or killed by an intruder is? Your home, possessions and body may be damaged and violated but at least you won't have to touch any icky guns. Have fun with that.
>>
Is your window like in the picture? Waist level double hung?
>>
I goat a stupid idea, why not buy window blinds and curtains, and buy a blow up doll or make it look like a persons there? Or a recorder, with a dog barking once in awhile?
>>
>>18196559
Dude, you're talking to a literal homosexual bottom who lives in some pussy state like new york.

What did you think he thinks about guns?

He's afraid of them because he's afraid of having control and power hence why he's a homosexual bottom whose partner (see: top) had to scare off the trash.
>>
File: large window.jpg (72KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
large window.jpg
72KB, 1280x720px
>>18196558
>>18196567
Sorry, I should have included an example-- it's been an exhausting night/day for me. My window is like pic related, except with a sliding window design. There's one by each side of the door and they're big enough to walk through with minimal effort.

>>18196547
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm working to get my certificate to authorize gun ownership, it's a bit slow to do so here so I'm also seeking other security enhancements in the meantime.

Would a .22/9mm/.40 be suitable for someone with very small hands (I'm a complete noob, but starting my class soon)?

>>18196559
>>18196607
I wasn't trying to say they're icky, just that I'm not equipped to own them yet. I'm seeking advice for other security enhancements in the meantime since the intruders could come back.

>>18196584
I have a small pup, it didn't convince the intruders that people were home. But I'll try putting a doll or something by the window to make it more convincing too. Any suggestion is appreciated, thank you!
>>
>>18196495
>>18196504
apparently some burglars target guns, especially in gang affiliated areas. do not recommend the gun box idea.
>>
>>18196643
I meant a .22 to practice with. Not for home defense.

A 9mm and .40s&w and plenty powerful.

They also have light recoil, Even in self defense ammo.

I gave my sister a .40s&w Glock 23, She has pretty small hands and doesn't shoot very often but she can handle it fine.

If you can't afford to buy more then one gun to practice with, But a .40s&w, I think any gun dealer/ccw class will agree that is a powerful enough round and OK for people new to shooting. As it doesn't have much recoil
>>
>>18196643
Ok that's a big window. Youre gonna have to make it so that they cant see inside. Also go on amazon and get one of those motion sensor alarms with the remote and door chime. $15. Or a motion sensor driveway alarm. Mount it across from the window they are coming in. Dont get a gun if you arent comfortable. Get bear spray or wasp/hornet spray. Put a no trasspassind sign in that window.
>>
>>18196643
Put clothes on it to make more convincing, and put some glow in the dark sticker on it so it won't scare you or something!
>>
Bump for other ideas
>>
bump for evening crowd, please help!

>>18196685
there are blinds on the windows so it's hard to see inside, i worry if that encourages them to poke around if it's very late at night. i set some window alarms for now and purchasing some remote control alarms off amazon too.
>>
>>18196643
why do city apartments bother with a huge window? sounds like a dumb idea.
>>
File: 8376447973.png (204KB, 421x395px) Image search: [Google]
8376447973.png
204KB, 421x395px
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.