[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chase my passions or Do things the 'Smart Way'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: media-art.jpg (167KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
media-art.jpg
167KB, 500x375px
I want to do graphics design, animation, interaction design- anything in that realm. I want to work with creative quirky people, and make cool shit. I had an attraction to this shit since I was 10 when I was toying around with photoshop, drawing, following tutorials doing the whole jazz.

My parents told me that art was for losers and pushed me into STEM, which I wasn't terrible at, but I fucking hated it

now at 24 i'm doing very boring enterprise IT "consulting" bullshit (i'm not even coding) and every day at work i want to blow my brains out.

should i quit my job and go to grad school for design? or should i keep grinding away at my job, do this on the side, and watch everyone else live their dreams and make the most out of their lives while I took the 'smart safe' route?

i also have loans to pay off for school

fuck my life
>>
>>18196398
If you do what you love, OP, it won't be work, you'll just love what you do. It all starts there.
>>
Freelance artist here.

You're gonna need to start out with a day job. It sucks, but that's the truth of it. You need to pay off your loans and you need a steady income. Do what you can to get more money for less time, and then use the free time you have to pursue art as a career.

It is possible to make a career based on art, more than it's ever been, but that still doesn't mean it's easy. Most artists still rely on some sort of alternative income to support their work. If you manage to make it enough to live off of your work, then awesome, and start doing that.

But right now you need to keep your options open. Most art is stuff that can be self taught. Practice, learn, look for single courses taught by the artists themselves that teach techniques you're interested in learning.

School is good at giving you structure, but the last thing you need right now is yet more debt. You will need to do the structure yourself. That is hard for some people, but with work and drive you can make it.
>>
Why do you think you have to go to college for that?

There's a shit ton of resources online for free that you can learn in your free time. I was just like you, did stem but wanted industrial design or gane development. Then I lost my job and started trying things my way. I've learned a lot of stuff for 3ds max and Zbrush just from youtube tutorials, and I mean really good tutorials made by professionals. Graphic design is just the same. And when you look for a job in this area, your portfolio is worth much more than your degrees.
>>
>>18196398
Do what you love.

Getting a stable and boring job is dying while still young.

Authenticity is how you should live.
>>
>>18196405
"if you love what you do, it won't be work, because you can't find a job doing it"

what kind of cliche ass advice is that anyway?
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.