[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do you cope with the fact that, at any moment, or at least

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 11

File: 1420860551155.jpg (35KB, 467x528px) Image search: [Google]
1420860551155.jpg
35KB, 467x528px
how do you cope with the fact that, at any moment, or at least in the next ~75 years you will die and you will not exist anymore. you will not be conscious, have thoughts, touch, feelings or emotions. there will be nothing.

how did we get here? why are we here? how was something created from nothing? how is it possible that I will never regain consciousness ever again?

I'm having a lot of trouble coming to my senses and I'm kind of freaking out - no drugs here. I'm constantly touching things and trying to regain my senses and a borderline believer in solipsism.
>>
Get a motorcycle and come to terms with your mortality every time you ride.
>>
>>18193396

coping is the act of coping in and of itself. it does not require any other acts. you cope by coping.
>>
>>18193396
The whole death thing never bothered me.
>>
>>18193396
Well, in a couple of years we could reach the singularity, and quantum computers could be a thing

What doesn't make you think that, when you're on death's door, you will be able to upload youre memory to the internet?
Unless of course, entropy fucks you over and kills you
>>
>>18193396
Well, you don't know if that's a fact. You don't have proof of anything but your thoughts existing, and if you stop existing after death you'll no longer be able to care about it.
>>
File: Frodo.jpg (125KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Frodo.jpg
125KB, 600x400px
>>18193396
Nigga, chill...
>>
>>18193396

You're asking the wrong thing. You should be asking, "how do I cope with the fact that I believe that I will no longer exist?"

Will you no longer exist? Will your consciousness end? It seems rather silly to freak out about something you surely do not know for sure.

If you cannot find peace in what you've found in being convinced that there is nothing after death, perhaps you should explore the alternative: what if there is something after death? Hope is a powerful thing, and it seems to be exactly what you need. You may choose to deprive yourself, but then this despair is what you've chosen for yourself.
>>
File: 1461659554817.png (110KB, 247x255px) Image search: [Google]
1461659554817.png
110KB, 247x255px
Existential crisis, nigga. We all go through one.

Some people get past it, some people don't. Nothing I can say can ease your mind...just try to forget about it as best you can and focus on some other shit
>>
>>18193396
How do you deal with the fact that ~75 years ago you weren't alive?
>>
The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck helped me a bit with this. When you were two, you struggled to maintain that you were the center of the universe, that you couldn't be told "no" by your mother. After a while of screaming and bratty behavior, you just accepted your place in this world. A lot of adolescents and teens desperately want freedom and defy authority, but eventually realize there's more to life after that phase and start to accept the responsibilities of adulthood. This is healthy human progress. You struggle, overcome, and move on as a different and better person. Talk to well-adjusted old people and many of them will talk casually about death because they are truly ready for it. They have had many more decades than you to prepare themselves for death through this process of shedding themselves. That's why it's important to live in the moment and focus on yourself, to continue down your path so that you will be ready to die.
>>
File: RIP_Russell_Casse.jpg (21KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
RIP_Russell_Casse.jpg
21KB, 480x480px
Never Forget
>>
>>18194056
I'M BAAAAAAACK
>>
Is it bad that I find the concept of death extremely comforting? Like, it just is awesome that someday, it'll all be over. If I want, I could end everything, at any time. I don't believe in an afterlife, so the thought of everything coming to an end just sounds so relaxing.
>>
File: WelcomeToEarth.gif (485KB, 433x190px) Image search: [Google]
WelcomeToEarth.gif
485KB, 433x190px
>>18193396
Welcome to EARTH.

Join us in the fight to destroy the evil alien tyrants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hY2nm3DMUc
>>
>>18193396
You take living for granted.

Try to think about it this way: You've had chance of living. If you could go to a vacation to any place you wanted even for a week you would still be happy for it.

Be happy to be alive right now. Enjoy every moment of life that is happening to you
>>
>>18193930
This
>>
Similar thing seems to happen most time I sleep at night and that doesn't seem to stress me out.
>>
Trip on DMT and you will realize that there is no death.
>>
File: IMG_2488.jpg (35KB, 470x228px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2488.jpg
35KB, 470x228px
Listen to some Alan Watts lectures and you'll feel fine again.

T b h, I remember being a child (before the internet was a thing) and lying in my bed at night freaking that I'd be stuck inside some black box for eternity, but I doubt that to be case now. I dunno.
>>
>>18193396
>will be nothing.
I wish I remained that way, in the comfy Nothing, no worrying about maintaining myself nor giving a shit at what people think about me. Those are enough reasons to look forward to death.
People look forward to war and destruction because they think they can get away with the constant chaos, read about the bosnian civil war survivors, shit is not pretty.
>>
>>18193396
If you mean that in a narcissistic way, then recognize everything's pointless & always was. Entropy dictates that everything will come to an end in the long, long-distant future. Nothing anyone ever does will really matter if the clock keeps running, which it will, so just do what you feel right/justified with your time here.
If you mean that in a 'I'm scared of death' kind of way, then recognize we're just meat-robots, our physical bodies an expressed DNA propagation mechanism, ourselves, our personalities, just an emergent property of that mechanism which assembles itself with basic logic & a few key rules.
One of those rules being: avoid death.
That rule's acting up in you & causing some anxiety. Simply accept that it causes you some anxiety, understand that you're in no danger at the moment, and leave it to worry about some other time. Else, recognize death's a part of life, once it's happening it'll be over before you know it, and once it's happened you won't have to endure it any longer, (nor will "you" even understand the concept).
>>
>>18193484
same
>>
File: David_Byrne.gif (1MB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
David_Byrne.gif
1MB, 500x376px
>>18193396
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1wg1DNHbNU
>>
>>18193396
Trust that there is life after death. Proverbs 3
>>
>>18193396
The good news is that you won't be around by that time anymore.
>>
>>18193396
>how do you cope with the fact that, at any moment, or at least in the next ~75 years you will die and you will not exist anymore. you will not be conscious, have thoughts, touch, feelings or emotions. there will be nothing.
Eagerly looking forward to it. Just not eager enough to massively speed up the process.

>how did we get here? why are we here?
Your parents had unprotected sex. Most likely intoxicated.

>how was something created from nothing?
It wasn't. Most likely the universe was always there.

>how is it possible that I will never regain consciousness ever again?
Supply of oxygen to your brains gets cut, eventually it stops functioning.
>>
File: MARBLES.gif (1MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
MARBLES.gif
1MB, 320x180px
>>18193396
You need to get out. I have the same issue right now and you just have to accept it. It comes to all of us. You have to realize that death is a concept made up by humans. Although it has its ties to our consciousness, it's still within the capacity of the human mind. And how understanding of the universe is the human mind in reality?

You can't spend your life thinking about death, man. Find what you want to do in life, and you'll feel good doing it. I'd go watch some Bob Ross vids on youtube. He has a way of calming you down and appreciating life in the way that one should appreciate life.
>>
File: bliss.0.png (1MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
bliss.0.png
1MB, 1600x900px
This "problem" won't matter anymore because you will have no conscious to give a shit about it.

According to the logic you use that when you die there is nothing ( which is your choice however there really are infinite choices so choose a better one) you may as well be out doing what you love because if you die you may have well never been alive.
>>
I cope by accepting that I will die and that all I hold dear will vanish with me, until then it's mine and mine only, making it much more valuable.
No inherent meaning? No problem, there never really was, you gotta find it or make it.
Stop being a nihilist bitch and make the step to existentialism and learn to enjoy this living hell a bit.
>>
I think most of you "smart guys" saying stuff like existentialism and nihilism and solipsism etc. should understand that no-one thinks you are smart or different.

You are all fucking stupid. Most of the people you hate lead better lives then you weather you think they are idiots or not. DO WHAT YOU LIKE MORE DIRECTLY you feel happier much quicker.
>>
>>18193396
Myself, I can't wait.
For most people, the answer to that is religion.
>>
Stop being passive you loser fucks

Donate to aging research or research it yourself.
>>
>>18193396
I watched monty python's the meaning of life very high once and it basically encompasses what I've come to settle on years later. Life is absurd, you didn't exist before you did and now you've been burdened with it, we're wildly insignificant in the scale of everything and so are you. So don't stress too much about the bigger questions because it doesn't matter anyway and it's probably beyond you. You have a limited amount of time to enjoy here so don't waste it on worries.
>>
>>18193396
Accepting the inevitable will set you free
>>
File: It don't matter.jpg (146KB, 600x404px) Image search: [Google]
It don't matter.jpg
146KB, 600x404px
>>18193396
Be like Carl my man
>>
>>18194826
See >>18194815
I don't hate people, rarely do, and then it's mostly because of their own hypocrisy or acting in a way that debases being a human being.
Someone thinks I'm stupid, even better, I already have enough people asking me for help, talk or debate.
No need to hate those who use philosophical terms, go do a quick wikisearch and you can join those special snowflake bastards, oh wait, you're doing the special snowflake routine by shitting on other special snowflakes, oh well, to each their own I guess.
>>
>>18194913
But now you are the special snowflake...HA!
>>
>>18193396
Death is literally the best part. No more pain, no more feels pure nothingness.

Just embrace it and you can live freely.
>>
>>18194928
This is how I cope with it as well.
>>
>how do you cope
Literally by not sitting at my computer brooding about the end game.
OP you would be surprised how little your brain wanders when you keep it busy.
>>
>>18193396
Maybe we won't die at all. Technology is progressing fast and we have to hope that the death riddle will be solved before our time comes. Until then, stay safe.
Also, consider cryonics to raise your chances of immortality
>>
>>18195533
search wait but why cryonics
I think this would interest op >>18193396
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.