[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible I've gone retarded?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

When I was 18 I was in a really bad car wreck. I slid my car off the road going about 50 and wrapped it around a big tree. The impact was right in the driver side door, and I was out cold until the ambulance arrived. So maybe 10-20 minutes? When I was in elementary and middle school I was a grade student, and always scored in the 99th percentile on all the standardized tests. I was in all the gifted programs, and even had my IQ tested in 7th grade, and scored 130. A lot of things came naturally to me. I had no problem remembering things, and concentrating for hours on reading books, and things like that. School was a breeze, and I got a 29 on the ACT, before the accident.

All this to say, I thought I was a pretty bright kid. But now I'm 21, and taking classes at a community college. I'm currently getting my ass handed to me in an anatomy and physiology class. No matter how many times I read the book, and ask questions it just doesn't make any fucking sense. Whatsoever. I really just can't wrap my mind around any of it. and it is a community college course. Granted, it is a lot harder than any other class I've taken, but I legitimately can't concentrate on it, and I feel like I can't learn any of it.

I can still read and comprehend "advanced" literature, like Dostoevsky and Julius Evola, and other dense philosophical pieces from the 19th and 20th centuries. I still have interests in the humanities, and I'm doing well in statistics, but for the life of me, I can't grasp any of this physiology bullshit.

Could it just be that I'm not interested, and therefore I'm unable to concentrate? Because it seems like with the things I'm interested in, I can at least make a little bit of headway. But trying to learn A&P is making me feel impaired. The doctors did several MRIs and cat scans, they said I was concussed, but didn't have permanent brain damage. So I'm not sure why I can't learn this shit, which I need for my major.
>>
>>18190542
are you, or have you been on drugs?
are you depressed?
these things can make you dumber or suppress brain function
>>
>>18190554
>>18190554
I smoked weed probably 40 times between ages 13-17, I feel like that could have contributed to the downward spiral, but I never did hard drugs, other than hydrocodone, from two surgeries. I'm not on anything at all right now, and haven't been for a long time.

I am depressed, I have been for alternating between depression and euphoric mania for as long as I can remember. But I don't learn better during the manic phases, which are short lived anyway. It's mostly dull ennui for weeks/months punctuated with a couple days of feeling like I can conquer the world.
>>
I'm in the exactly same situation anon and I'm 27, it only gets worse. except I didn't get into a car accident but I do bump my head quite often and a few times it was pretty hard.
>>
>>18190542
I was in GT classes too, and I now too, feel retarded.

I think they picked the wrong person.
>>
I too grew up with above average intelligence. Learnt to program about age 6, repairing electrical appliances, swapping an engine on my project car with my father, machining parts and fabricating things in his workshop, having a home linux network, being l33t and writing my own teenage scripts and exploits, getting good on whatever instrument I picked up. I found school piss easy and never really applied myself, preferring to play truant and do my own thing. I left with high marks in all my exams regardless. I tested at an IQ of 147.

When I got to university to study statistics and systems analysis I suddenly didn't know what the fuck I was doing. Turns out I was only good/average at all these things and while it was impressive to know so much shit and to have started so young I'd never really focused on any one thing to the point where I was exceptional at it and I'd never learnt to apply myself past the point of being able to look like I knew what I was doing to a layperson. I dropped out in complete confusion.

I went back to university a couple of years later to study acoustics and after finishing the first year switched onto a piss easy music degree because while I'd passed, I was unable to get comfortable with the mathematics involved. Again, I struggled to apply myself even though I was aware of this flaw in my attitude and was kind of shocked that I had to work hard to learn something when others were fluent and capable.

Oh and IQ tests for children are notoriously inaccurate because they usually apply a simple multiplication based on age range to adjust for age and so a lucky result on somebody very young can quickly look completely stupid.
>>
>>18190542
Depression is a bitch. It's most likely the cause.
Also if you're really intelligent it's easy to get bored with subjects but generally not without taking the information in.
Have you tried adjusting your learning process? The head injury is unlikely to lower IQ but it may have changed HOW you learn.
It could be worse, I'm high intel level and failed everything due to dyslexia.
>>
>>18190631
>>18190635

Makes me feel slightly better to know I'm not alone. I booked some tutoring appointments, hopefully that will help some.
>>
Bump, just got back from my anatomy lab
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.