[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How not to die?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: bodyguard.png (88KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
bodyguard.png
88KB, 512x512px
Alright, just got a job with a company that does security for banks, armored cars, bodyguarding, that kind of thing. What martial art is best for that kind of work? An older guy told me to take boxing and brazilian jui jitsu, but he might have been talking out of his ass.
>>
If you they have you carry a firearm, then you are more than likely the primary target in a robbery. If I was you, I would learn how to speed draw as well as get some handgun training by a professional
>>
>>18189956
>If you they have you carry a firearm
Training for that right now, so yes, I will be eventually.

>I would learn how to speed draw as well as get some handgun training by a professional
Yup, getting that right now, as said, It's just often said that any dangerous encounter starting inside of 10 feet or so will happen too fast for you to draw your gun, so learning some hand to hand seems wise.
>>
I would be leery of brazilian jiu jitsu as it has basically become a meme, being adopted by every dudebro and every wannabe bodybuilder and any guy with visible abs. Boxing would probably be good, but honestly good old karate would be my top recommendation. Yeah I know karate is the stereotypical martial art and doesn't seem original enough, but there's a reason it's the first thing people think of when they think "martial arts"
>>
>>18189981
>but there's a reason it's the first thing people think of when they think "martial arts"
Very popular martial arts movies in the 70's and 80's?

I joke of course, but out of curiosity what makes you think Karate would be better? The reason I thought jiu jitsu seemed so viable is because many professional fighters (people risking their health and their livelihood on the viability of their style) train heavily in bjj.
>>
File: 1486940731357.jpg (49KB, 500x641px) Image search: [Google]
1486940731357.jpg
49KB, 500x641px
>>18189949

Kek. You've been watching too many movies kid. There is literally no situation in which you would boxing or jiu jitsu grappling with a bank robber.

I mean, its totally cool to take some self defense classes and exercise and gain confidence and all that but don't say anything at work to the guys like "Yeah, I've been taking some jiu jitsu classes for this job" because they'll immediately look at you like you're retarded.

I did armed and unarmed security for 10 years, bars, concert venues, armored car for awhile and then at the last bit armed security for dispensary transport (weed shops in Washington).

The only time self-defense would come in handy is if you're working in a bar or concert but even then not really because your job isn't to spar with an unruly patron, its to either pick them up and carry them out or sit on them until the police come.

Like I said, I guess it wouldn't hurt, but in all my 10 years I never once utilized anything more complicated than a choke hold or an elbow to the forehead. The only dudes I ever knew who took any classes were some fucking meatheads that worked the door at the dance club across from mine. They were unbearable; wore the tight black shirts and sunglasses and ear pieces and walked around looking like douches when the only people that really went there were MILFS, college girls and little asian exchange students. It was overkill, for sure.
>>
Is it your Money??? Them why die for it, Fuck i even would risk my life for my own money. Money comes and goes but Ehen your life is gone your done
>>
>>18190073
>There is literally no situation in which you would boxing or jiu jitsu grappling with a bank robber.
This is objectively false. I may not have worked in security before, but the cops and guards I've talked to have told me many times that in any hostile encounter that starts within 10 ft, you can't rely on using your gun, because they'll be on you before you can draw. Also, hand to hand may or may not be important in a firefight, but either way it's important for someone who needs to be able to restrain and arrest someone (which will be one of my duties). I don't mean to insult you or provoke you, but when I've heard the same thought from three cops and a couple feds, It seems wiser to take their advice.

I want to stress that I don't expect to be using this often, it just seems a terrible idea to be a private police officer who has no fighting knowledge or experience beyond a few brawls.

Although since you have had a job similar to the one I'm taking, do you mind if I ask you some questions?
>>
>>18190094
I get this sentiment, but I'm an uneducated poorfag, and this job pays more than twice that of any other job I've ever held. I've got bills to pay, mouths to feed, and the safety record for the company is actually really good. One death in 27 years of operation. Even "safe" factory jobs can't usually say the same.
>>
>>18189949

Get one of the light sleeveless chainmail shirts that are available (from ringmesh.com for example) and ALWAYS wear it under your clothes to counteract knifes.

As a (body) guard you cannot particularly respect the 21 feet rule in a lot of cases.

As well as stupid as it sounds make sure you have a super bright light if the ones they give you are shit. It is your best weapon at night.

Anon about the speed drawing is right as well.
>>
>>18190118
>Get one of the light sleeveless chainmail shirts that are available (from ringmesh.com for example) and ALWAYS wear it under your clothes to counteract knifes.
Are you just fucking around with me here? I've never heard of anyone wearing chainmail outside of a larp. Why not just wear a stab resistant vest, which isn't made out of loud clinking metal? I don't want to walk around sounding like a sock full of pennies.
>>
>>18190125
the small rings in modern protective maile vests are nothing like the ones used in larp and reenactment, since they are MUCH smaller, welded and made from light staneless steel. Two very different things. Silent and MUCH lighter.

"Normal" Vests only can do so much. The only thing that will help 100% against stabs is maile + stab resistent vests often only have plates in the back and front but can be stabbed through on the sides. Maile covers more.
>>
Anti rape classes aren't bad, some pretty basic personal defence stuff covered.
>>
>an anon legally carrying a gun
>>
Krav Maga

Find a gym/instructor/school that is properly certified and not just a meme factory like a lot of the BJJ schools have become now.

The reality is you need to be vicious in CQC and doing some meme tier Karate/BJJ/JJ bull shit isn't going to save your ass.
>>
>>18190151
Alright, that's fair, I'm not sure I buy it but I'll definitely take your advice into consideration, and look into a few options, reviews, and videos. Thank you.

>>18190153
I'm a huge guy, I'm literally not sure anti-rape classes would take me. Dudes who look like me are the kind of guy women are worried about being raped *by*.

>>18190217
It's interesting that you recommend Krav Maga and warn me off bjj, because someone at a bjj school gave me pretty much the exact same warning in reverse, that krav maga is meme tier. I'm kind of getting this sense that Krav Maga and BJJ are the two big popular styles right now, but both are overmarketed and overhyped, so a lot of people blow them out of proportion. At this point I've had recommendations for both, so I'll try both, practice with them a bit, and talk to people who use these skills regularly to see which is best.

The main thing that makes me leary about krav maga is that you don't see a lot of professional fighters employing it, and those are people staking their safety and livelihood on the effectiveness of their technique.
>>
>>18190099

>What you're saying about security is false

>I have no experience in security

Well then. Seems like you've got it all figured out.

>but when I've heard the same thought from three cops

You're not going to be a cop. The two jobs may seem similar but your objectives are completely different. Yes, its important to know how to restrain, but boxing and jiu jitsu are fucking nonsense, kid. You're not going to be in full gear, gun and mace at your side putting a bank robber in a goddamn reverse triangle choke. Neither are you going to be face to face trading jabs with him. Don't be fucking silly.

With my ten years of experience what I can tell you is learning how to "fight", while useful in life, is not the skill you need in this job. At no point is anyone going to expect you to know how to strike or perform a kimura, ok? What you need to learn is basic self defense, how to restrain someone and how to properly use the weapons and tools you have at your disposal whether it be a firearm, asp, taser or mace.

Being trained in how to properly use your gear, how to assess situations and how to defend yourself in the event that you are attacked will be most useful, not fight moves.

Lets also not forget that in a situation in which you are armed security being tasked with protecting a bank or an armored car, in the event that anyone attacks you its not going to be someone rushing at you to get in a wrestling match, its going to one or men with fucking guns who want to take your shit and don't mind killing you in the process. In this situation your most valuable tool will be your weapons training, not your bob and weave, doofus.
>>
>>18190328
>you won't be a cop
>You won't be in full gear, gun and mace at your side putting a bank robber in a goddamn reverse triangle choke
I think I should have more clearly explained what this job is.

This isn't mall cop stuff. That's actually what I thought it was when I signed up, but it's not. In this job, you are always carrying a gun. If you're out on the oil fields, you're often carrying a rifle. Especially on the oil fields and on industrial complexes, you serve as police. You do wear full gear, you do have a gun, and you are expected to know how to handle yourself in a fight. 75% of the guys who have this job are either ex military or ex cops, and I am neither. Maybe you're right and I won't need these skills, but either way I'd like to train as much as possible for every eventuality. Asking a few of the guys on the job tells me that getting into hand to hand isn't at all uncommon, especially when you're in a police roll. I want to know how to stay safe, and I don't mean to imply that I'll be neglecting other gear and tactics related training. Whether I had the job or not, I wanted to get into martial arts, and I just wanted to know which style would be the most effective (meaning what will keep me safest) on the rare but real occasions that I'll have to employ them in my job.

>What you need to learn is basic self defense, how to restrain someone
Certainly, and I'm learning that now, but what happens if I need to restrain someone who actually knows what they're doing in a fight? Martial arts is really common around here, because with the oil fields nearby it's a man's world, and a lot of dudes want to know how to fight. I don't want to be helpless against that if all else fails. I want to be explicitly clear, I don't think this is going to be a first resort type thing, it's just a backup for when TSHTF. That said, though I am arguing with you here, your reasoning seems solid, I'm just trying to explain what my thoughts are going into this.
>>
>>18190352

>Whether I had the job or not, I wanted to get into martial arts, and I just wanted to know which style would be the most effective (meaning what will keep me safest) on the rare but real occasions that I'll have to employ them in my job.

In that case, Krav Maga would be your best bet. Security is more about restraining, self-defense and using your opponent's weight against them then about striking. I guess my entire point is that your focus should be on weapons training and knowing how to use your gear as best as possible. Your gear is the equalizer between you and a potential threat because, lets face it, unless you're a judo master all it takes to overpower would be two guys attacking you at the same time. As soon as two or more guys attack you with knives or guns your jiu jitsu training is pretty much worthless. Thats why the focus is your tools because if you're trained properly you'll be able to take on more opponents than you would if you were just fighting hand to hand.

Knowing how to fight is great but what I'm trying to tell you is that "fight" is the wrong word for what you'll need to do in the event that you'll have to use force in your line of work.

Working security is about utilizing skills to prevent fights, not win them. Make sure your priorities are straight. Don't let these macho fucks convince you that knowing how to separate a dude's head from his neck is what makes you good at your job because I met a TON of those meatheads in the industry, guys who joined security teams because they were looking to start fights. They were very volatile, unreliable people to rely on to do their jobs properly. Sure, in the super rare incident that you are going toe to toe fisticuffs with dude like the last scene of a Steven Segal movie some fight training would be useful but in my 10 years of experience I've never really heard of anything like that happening. Thats all I'm trying to say.
>>
>>18190352

>Asking a few of the guys on the job tells me that getting into hand to hand isn't at all uncommon

And also, for the record, stories of hand to hand combat isn't uncommon because thats all these fuckers talk about. I know security dudes that have been telling the same story of the two times they got into a fight in their entire career for a decade. Be prepared for anything but ready to accept the reality that security is mostly uneventful, in bank and/or armored car situations. The company I worked for hadn't had any incidence of people trying to rob armored cars since the late 80's. Don't get comfortable but don't be on edge either. Jumpy security guards get bounced out of the outfit pretty quickly.

The old fogies try to make the job seem more rough and tumble than it is because trading war stories is the only form of currency in the industry, in my experience anyways.

>especially when you're in a police roll

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Granted, I've never done any corporate security gigs but I don't know what "police" role is.
>>
Can you carry a knife? I doubt any bank robber would have the training to properly deal with that.
>>
>>18190285

BJJ vs. Krav Maga

BJJ is great if you're a professional fighter and you need to be capable of winning the ground game.

Krav Maga is taught in SOF training because it trains you for real world situations. BJJ won't prepare you for unarmed vs. weapon based combat, nor situations where you may be at a significant disadvantage.

Combat sports practitioners don't use Krav Maga because it's intended to wound, maim, damage, kill etc. It's dirty by nature, and in all likelihood will save your life if you're forced into that kind of situation.

Imagine yourself in a real world situation against multiple targets. In a scenario in which surrender isn't an option, forcing one target to the ground as you're grappling will 99/100 times end up in you getting your ass stabbed or shot because you're in a vulnerable position. With Krav Maga, it's plausible that you disarm one opponent, and have a real fighting chance.

Regardless, weapons skills and effective tactics are going to be what saves your life more often than not.
>>
BJJ is great. If the fight goes to the ground, you will be prepared.

Wrestling is also good too for street fights.

Kickboxing is good too. I like boxing but also working the clinch and throwing knees. From clinch you can dictate the fight and do a take down if you like.
>>
>>18190407
This seems like good advice, thank you. Towards those ends, some of the classes available to cops are available to guys in this company, and I'm looking into some control and tactics classes, and one that focuses on deescalation and negotiation.

>>18190429
>ready to accept the reality that security is mostly uneventful, in bank and/or armored car situations. The company I worked for hadn't had any incidence of people trying to rob armored cars since the late 80's. Don't get comfortable but don't be on edge either
This is good advice for many of the sites I could potentially be posted at, but some of the assignments out in the oil fields are very high crime areas. You get that much money, that much expensive equipment, and that much alcohol into a population that's like 75% guys under the age of 40, and crime happens. Those assignments pay well, so I'm seriously considering taking them even given the greater frequency of confrontation. Either way, I hope you're right that it will be uneventful and consistent.

>because trading war stories is the only form of currency in the industry
What? Is that a real thing? Currency for what? Why not just use cash? Or favors? Or friendship? I seem to be missing some context here.

>I'm not entirely sure what you mean.
Basically, people on policing asignments do everything the cops do except haul people into jail. They can make arrests, charge people, the whole works. Out on the oilfields one of the big complaints cops have is basically just being taxis for people the corps arrest for them.

>>18190463
Personally I'd rather carry a collapsible baton than a knife, and either way, I'm not going to be going after a dude with a knife when I have a gun and a taser. My interest in martial arts is primarily based around the idea of getting jumped in an elevator or in an alley or something, and in that time frame, you don't really get to draw.
>>
>>18190518
That makes sense, thank you.
>>
>>18189968
>>18189949
BBJ, some stricking and general grappling seems like a safe bet to me. although I'm no expert

>>18189981
>this whole post
just because retards look up the most popular martial art and try to do it doesnt mean it's shit,.
It's pretty fundamental for any security role.
>but there's a reason it's the first thing people think of when they think "martial arts"
kek, karate is probably the most overhyped and less effective martial art out there, save for kung fu and aikido maybe
>>
>>18190073
>>18190328
yeah dude all those cops in those videos that cant apprehend a suspect even though they outnumber him, and still cant put him down, they DEFINITELY dont need any grappling classes
>>
If you have guns and rifles, why the fuck would you ever want to engage anyone in hand to hand combat?

That's what guns are fucking for.
>>
>>18190407
>shits on bjj and striking
>recommends the meme incarnate krav maga
you can't make this shit up

>>18189949
>>18190352
>>18190099
>>18191571
dude, do NOT listen to that guy.
Your first instinct was right.
There is one thing all ex military turned cops and weapon and tactics instructors lament, and that is the lack of gun AND hand to hand combat training in police today. not being good at both puts you in danger.

continue your gun lessons, and get good at it.
do some striking and takedown/grappling classes. boxing/muai thai, bjj/wrestling come to mind

Remember, in every single interaction you will have, there is a GUN on the table, if he's coming at you you must assume he's going for it, if you cant incapacitate him and he happens to get over you or even knock you out, you are dead
>>
>>18189949
MMA and military CQC are literally the only functioning martial arts, most of the other shit is just more style and less practicality
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.