[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer Science? Meme or not?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1485060205537.jpg (30KB, 649x400px) Image search: [Google]
1485060205537.jpg
30KB, 649x400px
Lads looking for advice.
26 year old veteran here going to be starting school in the fall using my Gi Bill so its free.
Thinking of Majoring in CS.
But
Every fucking time I see CS mentioned on this entire site it immediately splits everyone.
50% say its a complete meme filled with pajeets
50% say they make 80k+ and set there own hours and love it basically
Can someone with actual experience in CS gimme the red pill on it?
Pros?
Cons?
General Thoughts?
>>
Theres money in it,but never mind that.

Do you see yourself learning multiple tideous languages, sitting infront of a computer for many many hours?
>>
>>18189791
>sitting infront of a computer for many many hours?
Isnt that basically what we're all doing now anyway?
I mean ive always liked computers and I have no other ideas what to major in so it seemed like a good fit.
>>
There is actually some pretty good money in cybersecurity if that's your thing.
>>
>>18189780
the retards that say its a meme didn't cut it / didn't like it

Yes it makes good money, do you know why? because there aren't enough qualified people to fill the demand for CS jobs. And why is that? Because it actually takes some skill/talent.
I personally believe it takes a special kind of person to actually be good at CS, and quite frankly it's sink or swim. I've seen tons of people drop out within the first year and I've seen tons of people go on to have wildly successful careers at huge companies like apple, facebook, chase, google, microsoft, etc
If you've had little exposure to programming before college age, I doubt you'd cut it
>>
>>18189814
Thats what im asking man I dont know if its my thing or not.
What are the pros and cons of cyber security?
>>18189823
Makes sense.
>>
>>18189823
>If you've had little exposure to programming before college age, I doubt you'd cut it
Unfortunately I agree with this, but for slightly different reasons. We have raised an entire generation telling people how great CSE is and as a result everybody and their grandma tries it. People drop out sure, but the pool is larger (saturation).

It's hard to hack it learning the material for the first time in college when you're up against people who've been freelance learning it since middle school.

Additionally, college CSE programs don't really teach straight programming from what I understand. They teach theories and principles.
>>
>>18189780
I'm in the same boat as OP. I want to get specifically into cyber security. I would like to do it and stay in the military because they are always talking about how cyber is expanding but when I inquire about it, I get a "just switch to IT and maybe there will be a position open.
I have don't some scripting before but it was extremely easy stuff like flash 5.0 and some old computer game called graal online.
I wish someone with some experience, good or bad, could give me some advice.
>>
>>18189873
>>18189823
Well for someone looking to get there feet wet and learn some stuff to prepare for college or a cyber security future like >>18189889
do you anons know any good online courses or guides to learn from?
>>
not a professional, but I tried studying bioinformatics at an university for a year, without coding prior to it and it's pointless. They teach you some concepts and people that can already code, have no problem to understand that, but the exams for us where: Write code in java without mistakes, that would run without throwing a mistake doing X.

But you never learn how to actually code, just the concepts. You never get told, this program that you write would be better like this. Hell even if you deliver code, you never get a reply about how good or bad it is.

Which means, either you know how code needs to look for it to run, or you are wasting your time trying to learn to code at an university. better go to any other place and learn it in a small group
>>
>>18189958
>better go to any other place and learn it in a small group
Like where what does this mean?
>>
http://radar.oreilly.com/2015/09/are-there-some-students-who-cant-learn-how-to-code.html

Here's a good article for anyone looking at this thread considering majoring in CS
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.