[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

careers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: FB_IMG_1490230612261.jpg (36KB, 1222x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1490230612261.jpg
36KB, 1222x960px
33 years old

former marine / infantry / sniper

got out in 2008, tired of guns and that life, went to nursing school to be surrounded by women in field that pays well

fast forward, 2017 - making meh money. 70k a year, married, debating work on masters in nursing to push salary potential to around 6 figures in field i dont really enjoy.

or

go into law enforcement, take pay cut, harder work, maybe in a few years or so be back to where im at now in terms of salary...

want to have kids soon.. my dad was a hard working "manly man" - being able to look to him for motivation / inspiration got me through so many challenges id of probably otherwise failed at.

do i want my legacy to my kids to be im a pansy ass male nurse who makes good money, or a grimey hardcore ass manly man

Its like, yeah.. cop life = less time with senpai, as kids.. kids will resent me, but as young adults theyll have that image of a badass dad thatll help them overcome struggles

or be the father thats there for dinner every night, better provider, but probably raise some pansy ass snowflake faggot spoiled bitchasses
>>
>>18188719
From what you've typed, you've already told me enough to know you're not a man.
SO don't worry about it, anon.
>>
>>18188719

Do what's right for you, to me it sounds like you made the right choice.
There's nothing unmanly about helping to save lives.
That line of work takes alot more courage imo.
If you became a cop you're doing something that will put your well being in potential danger.
What about your kids growing up with no father?
They'll know you're manly when you take them camping and tell them stories about your marine days and show them cool survival tricks.
>>
>>18188734

yeah. im turning into more and more of a wuss every day. feels bad
>>
>>18188719
>defining your manliness over a job
That's pretty pathetic, anon. Also rather unmanly.
>>
>>18188756
and thanks, yeah i mean i try to keep marine corps skills up.. building rifles / shooting on weekends.. just way im going, ill be exact opposite of my dad.. lab coat writing prescriptions / or opening a family practice..

comfy life doesnt create tough / resilient kids

guess just maybe make tons of money in comfy / easy / safe field of work.. but pretend to be poor, to breed hearty tough young'n's, hah.

anyways good stuff, thanks for feedback y'all.

This was actually pretty helpful
>>
File: 20170404_124527.png (57KB, 1440x277px) Image search: [Google]
20170404_124527.png
57KB, 1440x277px
>>18188908
A man only needs three fundamentals.
>>
>>18188918
well, when you lift and fight and run 8-10 hours a day.. you have no choice but to get stronger.. i currently work at a pharma company, sit at a desk 8-10 hours a day, drinking coffee and redbull all day.. sitting at desk, eating chips.

cop life, lifting daily, running, getting paid to train, getting in fights as part of job...

its not defining based on title.. its relevant activities performed.

if you spend 20 years fighting for l8fe, 8r 20 years digging through regulations and drug guides.. treating a person as a block of clay, you are molding some different shit.. one of which will be more weathered by sun, and toughened by life experiences aka "more manly"

and one will have a better looking savings account and probably a happier attitude.. also probably less gray hair and sun damaged skin*
>>
>>18188948
0. first deployment as regular infantry my squad shot a bunch of assholes, second deployment as sniper team member.. just watched infantry do a bunch of raids with little to no resistance...

also confirmed kills is more of a vietnam thing, where a 2 man team would go find body.. urban sniping, you dont leave hide unless you need to or for extraction.. atleast in my experience
>>
>>18188955
Sure but this assumes the person doesn't exist beyond the job.

The same cop might sit in a car eating donuts all day and then coming home watching TV while eating cheetos, while as the pharma office guy you might go for extreme hiking every weekend and visit the gym after work, while also volunteering for some though shit.
>>
>>18188719
Your job doesn't have to have anything to do with your manliness. Have manly hobbies and you'll be just as manly in their eyes if not more. If anything your job doesn't mean shit if they can't watch you do it.
My dad was an electrician for a side job. He would take me to his jobs to help him work and his skill level and the places he had to go to do the job really upped his manliness for me.
Camping is another way. To be manly all you have to do is show off your proficiency at some physical and technical skill. Preferably including the wild or power tools. Children love that shit.
>>
>>18188719
Your kids will make of your profession what they will, they could resent you for being in danger 24/7 for all you know or appreciate the stability of a nursing job.

Why not become an EMT? Seems like a good mix of the two.
>>
>>18188955
>Shit talking nursing as unmanly when you aren't even a real nurse, you just sit at desk
What the fuck am I reading, come work in an ER some time and see what nursing really.
>>
Fucking jarheads, you are a god damn disgrace. Your job doesn't determine your "manliness".
>>
>>18189022
No disrespect to hospital nurses intended. It's a hard fucking job for sure.
Wife is a nurse, and i literally cant do that job. Almost got in a dozen fights in 6 months of working in a hospital with shitty family members. Dads getting irate, putting hands on female nurses and shit, got counselled repeatedly for "we have security for that"

I just mean speaking about, from the point of view of a kid= kids who over generalize things in their developmental / formative years.. A father being a nurse has its stigmas, that kids arent going to appreciate.. and yeah, hobbies are great.. i mean my dad was a mechanic for example.. hed say screw a jack and shove an engine around after unbolting it like fucking hercules.. and i mean hed work 60 hours a week, in the heat and cold depending on season, back breaking work.. i mean, that shit, when id be pushing myself feeling like im about to break.. that was what i thought about to push past the brain telling me to quit.. I just guess I worry i wont be able to give that same image to my kids in my current career path.

ER nurse - thought about it, even applied for it. Havent been able to get a job there, not enough clinical experience, and dont wanna do 2 years in med surg first as resume builder.. rather just go FNP school and write scripts...

But again, fucking getting late in game for any more drastic career changes
>>
>>18189370
You could become a chiropractor rather quickly.

Or go into less hands on work. Medical sales maybe. My father is a veterinarian, but he is a vp at a pet drug company as head of marketing and travels the world wining and dining people to get the drugs into different stores and international markets.

Why are you aiming so low just because your dad had a blue collar. My dad grew up in a trailor but he aimed a little higher than that. Cops are a bunch of dumbasses.

Go into a career that is smarter, not harder.

Ever read The Prince?
>>
>>18189028

i mean, if you want to be politically correct, sure.

if you want to be realistic, your job has a lot to do with how others percieve you.. including your kids.

And I mean yeah.. hobbies might be way to go, never really considered that. I dont know what my dad was like when i wasnt at his shop, he might of been slacking non stop being a totally different person.. i just look at kids and parents around me, being raised way different from how I was.. If im gonna put another body on the planet some day.. thats fuucking scary shit. I wanna make sure the little fucker has all the tools he needs to be a little badass..

and i mean, masters level nursing stuff like pathophysiology / pharmacology = interesting ass shit. Just sucks MDvis out of reach, cuz thats a "man" job. Even getting a phd in nursing.. that fucking nurse title.. its fucking cringey as shit, and it sucks thinkin ill have a little clone running around looking up going "hmm, its ok for dad to do girly stuff"

nope. bad.
>>
>>18189393
You should read The Prince and watch The Godfather.

Stop wanting to be the goon and start wanting to be the boss.

You should read more in general to be honest. I don't respect your dad because he sounds like a dumbass. Why should you work 60 hours a week if you don't have to? Have somebody else do that shit for you.
>>
>>18189389

have a couple friends with masters in criminology or some crap. One swat team guy makes close to 6 figures, training is intense. One was an undercover drug cop for axwhile, now he has some shady state job he wont tell anyone about, also makes sick money. Then i know a few guys who never made it past 50k a year goofy uniform writing speeding ticket writers who hate their career choice and are trying to get out of it.. soo, not everyone that gets in to LE gets into tacti-cool jobs, or good pay. So i mean, starting fresh in a potentially cool career..

i guess kind of leaning towards staying nursing now, lol
>>
>>18189393
>if you want to be realistic, your job has a lot to do with how others percieve you.. including your kids.

This is massively true in countries that worship money, a la America.
>>
>>18189405
Chicks generally introduce their husbands with career title.
>>
>>18189028
It is the singe most important contribution to who you are.
>>
>>18189465
That explains why most people hate their jobs.
>>
>>18189477
The point still stands. If someone in America does not have a job but lives off welfare while pursuing hobbies, that person is seen as a loser. You are your job. No job=nobody.
>>
You can't decide if you want to help sick people or hurt healthy people?
>>
>>18189547

this made me chuckle
>>
File: 8x5_Janitor_Cox.jpg (37KB, 430x640px) Image search: [Google]
8x5_Janitor_Cox.jpg
37KB, 430x640px
>>18189002
EMTs aren't paid as well as nurses.

>>18188719
OP, that's super cool that you're a marine... I mean... you said "former" marine, but I was under the impression you guys had a whole "once a marine, always a marine... Semper Fi" mentality.

Whatever...

Anyway, I'm 27, couldn't join the military because I have seizures (because dad was exposed to Agent Orange)... but I just started working in a hospital. I'm in environmental... but after a year, the union will help pay for me to return to school, and I can either become a nurse (male nurses are in high demand, don't knock it), or I can become a radiology tech... but because I'm aiming high, my goal is to become a surgical Physician Assistant.

I'm a white guy. I only mention it because every cop or would-be-cop I've ever known is a total racist scumbag moron. Please, please... do not become a cop. There are other ways you can discipline your children, don't 'cop' out, don't sell yourself short... go for the masters, the higher pay... you might really want that money someday. An ex-marine nurse is still pretty badass.

Also, I don't know what state you're from, but here in NY... 90-100k/yr really is not all that much.
>>
>>18189668

Ya, we never say "ex" - former is just our classy attempt at saying no longer active.

And yeah, Texas here.. cost of living not anything like up in NY i'd imagine, and yeah.. nurse practitioners around here fresh out of school start at 80-90.. a few specializations and years of experience, salary grows.. move to a state you dont need to work under a doctor and you can open your own practice.. earning potential as high as your business sense.

And I dont know, cops from my experience are 50/50. Some frequently go into it because sure, power trip, low intelligence, lazy... ticket writing goons who can choke slam granny if she gives attitude..
others in it for self growth.. not many jobs pay you to learn to fight / shoot / spy on enemies - also while making world a better place - and can specialize and make it a pretty decent cash cow.. harder / more rare though

others legit wanna be batman, dont care about pay, just wanna grime around with hooligans busting up crime until they croak..

medical world : sometimes satisying, other times meh.. way more money + career mobility..

like anything though, less risk = less potential reward. i think some cop jobs are amazing, like swat in a big city.. youre literally gonna shoot, and learn trajectory science from pros, basically play paintball with sim-rounds.. while making sick pay.. 1/10,000 odds of winning law enforcement career lottery though. 9,999/10000 chance of being a street cop or underpaid detective (after lots of school time and effort)

soo yeah. i think its decided. staying the male nurse route. thanks for the chat y'all bout to head out.. been another boring day at work.. maybe ill hit the gym tonight, lol
>>
>>18189532
Holy fuck that is my dream.

I want to persue my hobbies and live off welfare. How do I sign up?

My mixtape and screenplay and stand up routines are going to be fuckin lit!

Right now I have to waste my fucking time working for somebody. Holy fucking shit I hate working so god damned much. It just gets in the way of my actual life. If I could sign up for welfare and not work that would be the sweetest thing ever.

Fuck man, if I had time to record all the songs I've written and practice my stand up. Fuck I hate working so much. I need a job where I do fucking nothing like security or something.

Holy shit if I had time to read that would be so amazing.
>>
File: 2017-04-04 07.45.40 pm.png (118KB, 290x385px) Image search: [Google]
2017-04-04 07.45.40 pm.png
118KB, 290x385px
>>18189784
>never say "ex"

Thx, I should definitely know more about marines considering how many times I've seen The Pacific, read 'With the Old Breed', and that my best-friend-since-birth's mother was a marine.

I'm giving a best man speech at a particular US service academy soon... can't embarrass myself. -_-
>>
>>18188719
active LEO, first and foremost if you want to be a cop you need to figure out what kind. State, municipal, feds, county sherrif, ect
secondly, dont worry about your kids. So long as you are a loving and supportive father they will love you. and then one day they'll think youre a dork, regardless of what you do. My brother is a fucking doctor and me niece and nephew (age 14 and 16) think hes a nerd

I cant speak for nursing other then you probably deal with the same kinds of people (IE not the brightest, cleanest, polite or moral) but its a job I enjoy. Have a thick skin, a lot of patience and a knack for trying to help and you'll be ok
>>
does any one here work in television or film production, or know somebody that does?

Id really like to get into that, not so much acting but the actual grunt work that goes into it. At least for now. Ive looked into lots of other jobs as well such as publicists, or event planning that seem interesting
>>
>>18189668
>I'm a white guy. I only mention it because every cop or would-be-cop I've ever known is a total racist scumbag moron.
Had a somewhat similar experience in Europe, with the difference that the cops I met/dealt with (not related to me) were all pretty cool but the people who wanted to become cops were idiots with power fantasies.

Also shouldn't it be a motivation to become a cop if so many are shitty? They aren't going to improve without fresh blood in their ranks.

>>18190427
Worked for a ghetto ass local TV station a while ago, writing scrips for small clips and often hung around with the guys who do things like audio, video editing, recording and so on. Or do you mean grunt work like the guys who run around with the lights and prepare the cables?
Also my ex worked as an extra for a pretty big film studio, maybe some of the stuff I recall is relevant to your question.

Watcha want to know?

>Id really like to get into that
While the work is relatively "easy", getting in is tricky if you don't know someone who's already working there.
>>
>>18190522
currently im going to be going to school for communication, such as film/tv/media production. How viable is that? I thought it was a bit more grounded then going to a film school. I was on a similar thread on /tv/ and was told it didnt really matter so long as I knew the basics of the job. The thing is I odnt, ive never done any acting,theater work or AV club shit, ive only recently started moving forward with this so Ii figure its a good place to start

just general info/advice on
>what you did
>where you did it (dont really want to move to NYC or LA just yet) if I can help it
>how you got those jobs
>did you enjoy it enough to recommend it
>what should I do/not do
>any good stories
>>
>>18190547
>I thought it was a bit more grounded then going to a film school.
Definitely. My friend is currently doing a degree in communication (+PR/marketing shit) and virtually everybody in her class likes the stuff. I bet film/media production is even better. The job prospects look promising too, so it's viable as fuck.

>I was on a similar thread on /tv/ and was told it didnt really matter so long as I knew the basics of the job.
Pretty much although without a piece of paper showing that you indeed know them, it's going to be hard, unless you know someone. I got the job without any background and didn't know a thing before I started. The magic of networking.

>acting,theater work
Is very different either way. Also pretty hard on every level. Unless you love it, don't even bother, and even if you do rethink it couple times.

>what you did
On better days:
>boss wants a 15 min clip on macaques from local zoo
>dick around and research something vaguely interesting
>write a basic script
>take dozens of smoking breaks and hang with that hot chick who does video editing
>go back to the script, discuss it with others, more dicking around
>next day going to zoo aka. accompanying the crew and throwing in a bit or two how I want the shot while discussing monkey masturbation techniques (off camera)

On worse days:
>some church who was a big sponsor wanted a 1h special about them
>3 days later barely have enough material for 10min and contemplating plans how to bomb them
>1 day later, deadline, somehow finish the shit only to get notified that it gets delayed for next month but now some retired politician from buckfuckville accepted an interview and I have to come up with questions for the interviewer on the way there
>>
>>18190547
>where you did it (dont really want to move to NYC or LA just yet) if I can help it
A moderately sized European city, although a pretty important one so there are multiple local channels. No idea how the situation looks in US but doubt you have to go all the way to the biggest cities to find something. If you're willing to expand your net to radio, it should be even easier.

>how you got those jobs
Accidentally told a friend that I want to be a writer. She took it very seriously and wanted me to try something in that direction, she had a friend who worked for this ghetto TV station. Got in after a short talk with the boss thanks to her recommendation. Though again, let me empathize on the ghetto-ness of the place, before me basically everyone with some free time was doing the script writing part, even the poor camera guy. There was only one overworked person really dedicated to that. Many had previous experiences as journalists thought, and the boss himself was previous editor-in-chief of a huge national paper.

As for my ex and working as an extra. She got a rich daddy, who knows other rich daddies, who knew people at a casting agency and others who knew people at the studio. (Don't get me wrong, she's good and earned her job on merit but it was very straightforward and not the "typical long" way.)

>did you enjoy it enough to recommend it
At start it was an interesting experience learning new shit every day, so I liked it. Afterwards it became pretty tedious since there wasn't much control over the content and limited options for your own input. Lack of artistic freedom was a big deal for me, so overall it was pretty meh. Though again, it was a small channel and probably not overly representative.
Extra ex loves her job, even though it's relatively hard work, the pay is nice and she really, really likes movies and being a part of it.

>what should I do/not do
Be social. Also try taking a work placement somewhere related to the stuff if it's an option.
>>
>>18190427
>>18190547
you should be fine, just make sure when you do start school you imminently start networking. Ask professors or seniors for for jobs or even just advice. show you actually want to out the work in, It might not happen at first but word of mouth goes a long way and for every 1 person willing to do the grunt work there are 3 iditios who think theyre going to be the next big thing (be it acting, directing, musician, ect) within their first year

I did work as a production assistant. Basically I was just a work mule, but a work mule to some important people. ive worked on sets from small indie movies to bigger budget productions, met some movie stars and went to some parties

Ii also know a lot of insider secrets and gossip. My best advice if you want to become a big shot, have a basic understanding in or even take classes advertisement. Most of movie making is either selling people or selling ideas
>>
Sounds like nursing is boring after you get over all the boobies

I'd just start looking into investing my man

Being a cop with a family is pretty harsh, no guarantee you'll get cool stories out of it anyways. Now, making MONEY, do well in that and you'll be set in all that new free time you'd be retiring in. Or better yet, doing whatever job you want for the sake of it as opposed to depending on a resume or paycheck

Hell, you can prob own your own shooting range, you'll meet with all sorts of LE to make friends with.

>>18189532
>you have to be an employee forever in a rat race to be considered somebody
Man, people really have a hard time shaking themselves out of this mindset
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.