[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anxiety over age

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

Do you guys ever feel that life is too short? I recently turned 19 and just realized that being 16/17 felt like yesterday. Literally only 40 years left until retirement and likely only an additional 20 years before death. I know 19 isn't old at all but I feel my age approaching, getting faster and faster. How do you oldfags cope with this?
>>
>>18187356

everyone does. thats why they say 'life is too short to do XX'

whats worse is time is relative. which means the more time you experience the faster time goes.

for instance a poor man might see 1000dollars and think its a lot. a rich man sees 1000 dollars and its not much at all. time is the same way.

they say the first day you are born is the longest day of your life. than the next day is only half as long. thats why time days seemed to last forever growing up.

they say that, relatively speaking, by the time you're 20, more than half of your life has already been experienced.

your entire year at the age of 73 will be the same as your summer at the age of 17.
>>
File: ahhhhh bugs.png (152KB, 422x402px) Image search: [Google]
ahhhhh bugs.png
152KB, 422x402px
>>18187356
I feel the same. I'm 18, turning 19 in July, and it scares me. It really doesn't feel like it's been that long since I was 15/16, but actually, the years are really racking up. It's terrifying. I don't want to be considered "old".

It's probably just because we're at that transitional age between adolescence and adulthood. My guess is that it's normal, but damn, is it it scary. I guess the one thing that comforts me is that I know the direction I want to steer my life in, and as I grow older, I'll grow closer to my goals and sharpen my skills further.
>>
>>18187356

>Do you guys ever feel that life is too short?

No. Life is literally the longest thing you will ever do.
>>
File: 1421111798428.gif (421KB, 250x167px) Image search: [Google]
1421111798428.gif
421KB, 250x167px
>>18187411
>>
>>18187356

I'm actually starting to feel like life might be too long, and I'm 30.

Here's the thing, I wish I could teleport right back to being your age. Your age was pretty fucking cool, at least for me. In terms of responsibility, I didn't have that much. Get schoolwork taken care of, work like 10-15 hours a week if that, summer breaks, that shit was awesome.

Now that I'm 30? It's 40-60 hours a week of work, commute included, come home and still get fucking work emails to my phone, people remind you on the regular that you should be having kids because you're wasting life or something, but you know that kids fucking suck and if you have them you're just gonna be constantly tired and sick... your friends get old and boring and no one wants to go out anymore, so even when work isn't fucking you sideways, there's increasingly less to do, so you pass the time watching TV or playing videogames or manufacturing some kind of other hobby that you think is more productive than that...

I've actually lived a pretty good, fulfilling life, but the idea that I need to work for another 35 years (or more, remember, we don't know what medical advancements may make us live longer and require us to work longer) before I can be free of this bullshit is just misery inducing.

You get a couple of weeks off a year to pretend you're not just engaging in temporary escapism from the same recurring prison that you go to on the daily unless you manage to get lucky and hit it big or pry your way out of it into some kind of self-sustaining financial model. But on average, that doesn't happen.
>>
Life won't start untill your mid 20's bro.
>>
>>18187411
That doesn't mean it isn't too short
>what is objective logic
>>
>>18187356
Well I lived such a self destructive in my late teens/early twenties, I actually thought I wasn't going to live until 30.

So now I've officially lived longer than I expected. It's starting to drag on now desu.
>>
Where the fuck do you live where retirement age is 60?
>>
>>18187389
This is true for most people, but only because of how they live their lives. If you get into a routine and do stuff that is not new and mentally stimulating the days go by a lot faster. If you do that for a week, your week just flew by. Same for a year.
I have a job where I travel. When ever I go to another country I try out new activities and see new things.
I went to Pavones, Costa Rica. Stayed at a hostel. Had a night time bonfire with the locals. Went surfing for the first time all day the next day. Went tubing down a river and drank tons of cheap beer and caught and ate a lizard. I was only there for 2 and a half days but it felt like a week and a half. Go out and break the routine.
>>
File: woman-slaps-man.jpg (41KB, 450x315px) Image search: [Google]
woman-slaps-man.jpg
41KB, 450x315px
Look at this faggot http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/life-weeks.html push the most of the life. I feel the opposite, don't really care about my shitty life and how long it will last. What are your plans that 40 years isn't enough for you to fullfil meaningless life unless you give meaning to it?
>>
>>18187922
desu most americans retire at their 60s.
>>
>>18187356
>Literally only 40 years left until retirement and likely only an additional 20 years before death.
"Only?" That's more than 3 times the time you've been alive so far! You can literally live like 5 more lifes like the one you've lived so far as you don't have to start learning from the beginning. And that's still true even if you think 10 last years of your life you could be too weak to do some things.

And even then: so what? Even with 1000 more years you would still feel like time is running out someday. And there's a good change you don't even live those 60 more years. You could literally die right now.

Learn to let shit go. You can't really control anything. Your greatest sources of happiness will fade. Many of your friendships and hobbies will end. Many websites you love will end or turn to shit. That doesn't make them any less good now.

In the same way your life has to end some day. But why are you sad it ends? There's no way to make it not-end so just enjoy it while it lasts. Enjoy the life happening to you.
>>
>>18187463
I'm going to be honest with you. My life didn't get good until I was like 28-29. I'm not kidding. And then my 30's were awesome and now my 40's are also awesome. Life GETS BETTER. It really does. Even when shit things happen, NO ONE (and I mean this for real) with anything going on would EVER want to be in their 20's again. Your 20's are absolutely the worst time in your life.
>>
>>18187446
Maybe try to find a job that doesn't make you miserable.
>>
>>18187356
It's only too short if you haven't done much and experienced much.
>>
>>18188425
>>18187463

This. After you finish school and learn to tune out the workweek, you realize you have true freedom. You have money and time where you're not guilty about assignments. The only hard part is that friends are more work to maintain now.

>>18187356
OP I had a lot of these crises around 18-21. I cried a few days from my 21st because I felt time slipping away. As it turns out you just need to accept death and the short time you have here. Fill your time with new experiences so the days don't blend together. You have limited time as it is so don't waste it crying.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.