[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should i tell my best friend i'm depressed?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: 1475072830340.png (4MB, 2350x4700px) Image search: [Google]
1475072830340.png
4MB, 2350x4700px
I'll try to make this quick although it's much deeper than what it seems but basically

>Been depressed for 5 years
>Not show it to anyone
>Start seeing a therapist
>Things are kind of the same
>Have an urge to tell my best friend about what's happening to me
>Be afraid of him distancing from myself because of this (Even though we are childhood friends and he's a great person)
>Don't know what i'm looking to get from telling him since the things that bother me are not fixable

Should I? It seems useless to bother him with my shit emotional baggage because in the end i doubt it would help me in anyways but i still kind of want to tell him

Pic unrelated
>>
>>18183946
Depends. How often do you talk? How old are you? Does he ever talk about heavy stuff with you? When you say distanced does that mean he's moved on and got his own life whereas you haven't?
>>
>>18183946
Are you a boy or girl. If you are a boy no ones gonna give a shit about your depression. many people are depressed and have no idea they are and go through the phases. honestly being diagnosed with depression is far worse than having it.
If you are a girl he'll listen but think you are crazy and avoid sensitive topics with you. If you are a boy he'll think you are a fag and tell you constantly to man the fuck up.
>>
>>18183976
I'm 19, known him since kindergarten, I was probably around 2 or 3 years old when i met him

>How often do you talk?
Everyday, we play videogames together and we go out almost every weekend

>Does he ever talk about heavy stuff with you?
Not really, he has hinted some stuff but when i inquire he doesn't go deep about it, not sure if because it's not deep or because he feels the same as me

>When you say distanced does that mean he's moved on and got his own life whereas you haven't?

Meant it as i'm afraid if i tell him he would distance himself from me, we live in the same city
>>
>>18183985
I'm a man

> If you are a boy he'll think you are a fag and tell you constantly to man the fuck up.

This is what bothers me, i can't see any good outcome from telling him yet i feel like I've been bottling these feelings for far too long
>>
>>18183992
Sucks for you. Part of being a man in today's society. You'll emasculate yourself by saying you have depression.
If he's a good friend he'll try to help you get over it. But from my experience, depressed people are depressed because of themselves and have to want to get themselves out of it. Trying to help will only frustrate him further.
>>
>>18183992
Hmm what kind of guy is he? I wouldnt flat out say you've been diagnosed with depression because that sends up huge red flags for anyone. If he's that close - he already knows. Go out and get some beers and just talk. Say thanks for coming out with me I havent been feeling the best, a true friend will ask whats up and cheer u up. You must over think things a lot to need advice on it. Try to just chill out and go with the flow. Everybody goes through sad phases. Thats life. Find something that makes you happy
>>
>>18184006
You don't understand people who get therapy for depression. Once their depression is confirmed they become hopeless. Its even more triggering that they'll start to blame things on their depression and not themselves. You have to want to be happy to find happiness.
>>
>>18184006
>But from my experience, depressed people are depressed because of themselves and have to want to get themselves out of it

I really want to, i just don't know how, i've started to feel like it will always be like this and i should just embrace it

>>18184006
>what kind of guy is he?

He's not a dudebro if that's what you mean, I'm not american, don't know if that changes anything but i've always felt like american men have a higher masculinity standard if that's a thing
>>
>>18184020
Where are you from? And thats good hes not the dude type. My answer then would have been don't say anything
>>
>>18184020
>i've started to feel like it will always be like this and i should just embrace it
Beginning of the end.
>>
>>18184017
Makes sense. Basically their diagnoses enables them to be the disorder, sometimes even moreso than what it was? Maybe conversations like this will help to show the light a bit. Depression to some can be a choice. Some not as they can have hormonal and chemical imbalances but again, that could also be from their choices and beliefs from the diagnoses. Interesting
>>
>>18184025
Argentina

>>18184026
I just don't know what to do, i've been to a therapist, i've tried being happy, I do stuff, play instruments go to the gym all the bullshit that should be done to be happy and healthy and i'm not socially retarded yet i still feel like shit

And taking antidepressives just makes me feel like a junkie who needs to be high to live
>>
>>18184032
Tell me this, what is your biggest accomplishment you are most proud of recently?
>>
>>18184032
Ever smoked pot? Not sure what its like in argentina but theres a reason canadians are so happy lol it might be a chemical imbalance. Seeing a therapist is a good start
>>
>>18184029
Psychology is tricky. Whether or not something is wrong, if you tell a person it is in a way that they can relate, they'll start to demonstrate symptoms of it.
Of the people I know, those who didn't go to therapy seem to deal with depression better than others. I went a few times and I could not stand to be in the same room as him.
>>
>>18184050

Being able to play this on piano i guess: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlu2z2gkhhI

Not really big or impressive though, there's a ton of people that are much better than that and it took me way too long to achieve it

I don't think i've ever had a big accomplishment, or at least everytime it feels like it something fucks it up in a really short time

>>18184060
Made me laugh a few times, now it just makes me anxious
>>
>>18184075
Now that you mention it I can relate that to certain friends. If this isnt op, then op you should be taking this in lol
>>
File: 1302290535147.jpg (58KB, 600x690px) Image search: [Google]
1302290535147.jpg
58KB, 600x690px
>>18184076
>I don't think i've ever had a big accomplishment
quick
>>
>>18184080
Maybe, i don't feel like going to the therapist has made anything worse nor better but it's almost free mentalcare so i don't see the point of not going

>>18184082
What do you consider a big accomplishment?
>>
>>18184076
Thats life though. Its not supposed to be easy. Those who have it easy are narcissistic assholes. Piano is a huge accomplishment! You shouldnt belittle it. Theres always someone better at everything. But you took the time and effort into learning it and accomplished your goal. So keep at it. Find some new goals. Be real with yourself, what have you always wanted to do or learn? Go do it! You have one life
>>
>>18184091
Look man, the value of your life can only be assessed by you and what you deem imporant is the only thing that matters for you.
This morning I threw a paper ball in the trash from across the room. Felt pretty amazing honestly. Have more pride in yourself and take joy in the little things.
That being said you should really try to accomplish things that you have something to show for. Not completely related but a lot of mid life quarter life crisis happen because the person feels like they haven't done anything with their life. That won't necessarily fix your problem. If you don't want to be happy no amount of accomplishments will help you. But you certainly don't have to feel empty looking back at your life.
>>
>>18184101
Playing the piano is huge. People get caught up comparing themselves to others they don't realize what they've accomplished. Sad desu.
>>
File: 7hkd1su.jpg (216KB, 1024x719px) Image search: [Google]
7hkd1su.jpg
216KB, 1024x719px
>>18184101
>>18184106

Hey, you gave me a lot to think about, i'm going to bed now but thanks for staying and bearing with me, i hope you guys live a happy life

Goodbye
>>
>>18184123
Good luck
>>
>>18184123

Fellow rioplatense here.
Just don't. If he really is your best friend you should spend time with him having fun my man. Pot is an option around here but don't use it if you aren't willing to change your habits and such (and don't be retarded or your typical hippie con osde).

I did what you wanted to do last year to my ex best friend (damn, feels bad) and he just vanished me from his life (I had known him since we were 5).

Good luck, senpai, be strong.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.