[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tryhards

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0789.jpg (32KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0789.jpg
32KB, 300x300px
There's s new guy in my office, he's black. I'm black too and it's kind of awkward. We're both obviously from upper middle class surburban backgrounds but when he interacts with me he tries really hard to seem....I dunno "black". Like, I sound like the average mid-westerner and so does he but when he's talking to me he noticeably tries to add more base to his voice and uses more contractions to words.

This dork is always trying to greet me with elaborate handshakes, calling me "bruh" and "homie", it's all really cringey.

Even my white and latino coworkers feel second hand embarrassment when he speaks to me.

What do? We kinda have to work together
>>
Isn't it possible that this is what he's used to from his family and other black families he knows, and he doesn't realize that it's not necessarily a universal black experience?
Just throwing it out there.

Either way, I would try to be casual about it, laugh it off, make a joke out of how you appreciate his reaching out but he's talking to the wrong man when it comes to those fancy handshakes.
Doesn't matter if you sense that he's more serious with it than just doing a gimmick. Act like you don't consider that he might find it a big deal, that gives you a better shot of him actually treating it like not a big deal. If you put too much effort into not being awkward that is more likely to make it awkward because he senses how deep your discomfort runs.

Also good luck, sounds incredibly cringeworthy indeed.
>>
>>18182321

hes probably assuming you're that way, hwich isn't ideal, but isn't coming from a negative place. you're the only two black guys in your work place in a strange culture that accepts you but knows that you're an oddity. he is likely seeking some sort of connection and trying to do it on your terms.

so ask if he wnats to grab lunch and then just talk about it. he'll probably feel really relieved that you got his back and that he has someone he can relate to in his work place.

you don't have to become legit friends but just knowing you are playing the same game on the same team helps
>>
>>18182321
>2 black guys at work
Now that's something.
>>
>>18182354
>Affirmative Action hard at work
At least something is working hard
>>
>>18182321
He probably tries to fit it with his idea of your expectations towards him due him being new and you the only other black guy and so on. Simply talk to him normally and eventually he'll realize how its cringeworthy.

Had something similar with a slav co worker who went all suka bliad on me since we're both immigrants while talking mostly normal to others.
>>
>>18182321
so he treats you like you are a nigger just because you are black. that's fucking racist
>>
>>18182321
I know this isn't helping really but it reminded me too much of this skit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO-EwelnvxU
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.