[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

input appreciated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1490656562375.jpg (550KB, 1593x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1490656562375.jpg
550KB, 1593x1080px
I'm 20. Just got a job as a busser in a busy restaurant. Am poor. Fortunate enough to live off of the charity of a friend, he doesn't charge rent to live near NYC, this feels degrading but I'll be making roughly $300 a week at best after taxes. Just enough to cover the bills and save on the side.

Id really like to learn how to paint with traditional media, make big beautiful paintings of surrealist dreams. Would love to study art history as well.

Can someone give me some advice? Hopefully this new busser position works out I start Monday. How would I go about achieving my goal? Im thinking save money to take online courses. Visit museums like the MET when possible. I don't know how to paint well but I've painted before, the product is juvenile.
>>
File: alex jones.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
alex jones.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>18180780
Okay anon, you aren't going to like this.
You already live off your friend who's a better person than 99% of people who wouldn't put up with that shit. So he's awesome.
Second, you just got a job that actually pays a little bit. It's shit, but it'll let you get things rolling.
I assume you don't have a burning passion for being a dish collector, but you do for painting and art. Okay, fine.
Please don't fuck your life up beyond repair more by pursuing a career in art.
Acquire a SKILL that pays real money, using the shit money you get from being a bussboy. Become an electrician, programmer, plumber, road worker, elevator repairman, whatever.
Then you can pursue your art stuff when you aren't living on your friend's good will. I hate to be a pessimist, but your friend might get tired of your non-rent-paying ass and kick you out only to fuck your life up more.
Get it together, dude.
I'm rooting for you, but please be practical.
>>
Dude, dont shame the busser life. I work in kitchens and know bussers that make fucking bank and support their families. Maybe work at a better restaurant? The hospitality scene in NYC is supposed to be super fruitful, take advantage. Most bussers make more than hosts who usually need at least a HS degree. And if you become a server at a high end place you could clear $300 a night, easy. You choose your attitude.
>>
>>18180809
No I appreciate the input.
I'm probably going to go back to carpentry, general contracting, hiring sub contractors, etc stopped because of life circumstances. It was good money but u don't have enough left to re establish myself as an LLC.

Well Im sure painting can be a hobby. Thanks for the input anon. I'll focus on making a living.
>>
>>18180820
I'm ashamed of living off of someone else's hospitality not of being a busser. I'm well aware of the possibility of becoming a server and a host at the restaurant I work at now.
>>
>>18180822
No no. I don't mean focus on "making a living" forever anon. I mean get yourself together, skill up, and then bust your ass pursuing your passion when you can.
I get the impression my advice came off as telling you to "give up painting, you starving artist romantic".
Nooo!
If my assumption is right, you feel like focusing on practical things is throwing in the towel on your art interest. Au Contraire sir.
You use on to fuel the other. If you DO make bank as busser extraordinaire like the other anon said, you can do that to fuel the painting stuff. Get out of your rut, skill up, and go buddy go.
>>
>>18180850
Ohhhh okay, now I understand. Thanks for clarifying.

Have to get my priorities straight. I'll definitely skill up and establish myself first, then I'll go after my passions instead of trying to make a living off of them.

Really appreciate it anon.
>>
>>18180780
Try getting a government job if possible. Cushy. Stable. Decent pay.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.