[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Depression

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

I tried to talk to my mum about my depression, but she reacted by blaming me for allowing myself to slip into it.

I tried to explain that it is something chemical and that this time in particular it is being caused by some drugs I have to take for my injured hand (it is clearly pointed out as one of the side effects).

But she reacted with the usual
>it's all about force of will
I said force of will is a useful fiction that solves nothing. The best solution being conditioning and changes in the environment.

But she reacted by claiming that's just bs I made up because it is convenient for me to believe it.

We ended up arguing and I have been called narcissistic, willfully falling into depression, and overall evil and ill-informed. As if I didn't want to sort myself out (in the way she expects).

What a fucking day
>>
Get off the medication or go outside and get some sun. Tell the doc who prescribed you this meds that it's making you depressed and they'll change it up
>>
>>18178833
You can control depression though. She's not wrong. Force of will shouldn't be misinterpreted as complete and utter force from ones own being as the environment one perceives is the space in which a force can thrive or die. It is controllable m8. If you don't like what's going on around you change it to something that will promote you. That force of will is called motivation. >inb4 discipline. When you believe something to be wrong you may feel an emotional driver in your mind persuading you to act. If it's strong enough you will act. The problem is that if your environment takes you down it may take away from this net force of emotional drivers. A way around this is create anxiety in yourself in such a way that your own internal motivation can be independent of the environment temporarily. Too long and it will have negative effects. Go for runs. The dopamine high you get in the beginning will hopefully translate into a positive perception that you can use to do more things that are beneficial to yourself which also give you that feeling. That's just one thing you could do. Anyway have a good one bro
>>
>>18178833
Talk to your doc, not your mom, about changing pills. Say truth that they make you feel dead inside and you rather have some pain and soul than no pain and no soul.
>>
>>18178880
>That force of will is called motivation. >inb4 discipline. When you believe something to be wrong you may feel an emotional driver in your mind persuading you to act. If it's strong enough you will act.
I am aware of this, but what you say is not the whole point of the argument.

Of course I expressed myself poorly.

Let's put it like this:
- I don't want to argue whether willpower is a thing or not. I don't care if it is a natural kind, an atom, or whatever.
- Deep down, what I was trying to say is similar to what you, anon, remarked. i.e. even if I don't like the expression "force of will" I am very well aware you can manage depression.
- For example, one of the things I learned is to help myself by seeking other people's help. I conditioned myself to do this, after therapy, etc.
- So, in a short time frame, the first thing I did to put myself out of the bad situation was to seek out somebody and ask for help
- That's exactly what I did when I talked with my mother

Now, we can all ignore the semantic/realistic debate as per whether willpower exists or not.

What created an issue is that my mother put it in a "it's-your-fault-as-usual-anon" kind of way. That is, not helpful at all.

TL;DR:
>be me
>conditioned to seek help when I feel depressed
>I seek help
>am told it is my fault (not helpful at all!)
>back to step one

>>18178880
>Go for runs
Kek at my tendinopathy: I'm taking meds because one of my tendons is fucked, so basically I had to give up most sports, which undeniably contributed to putting me back in a negative state.

>>18178863
>Get off the medication or go outside and get some sun. Tell the doc who prescribed you this meds that it's making you depressed and they'll change it up
>Talk to your doc, not your mom, about changing pills. Say truth that they make you feel dead inside and you rather have some pain and soul than no pain and no soul.
Already done. Thanks guys for the support.
>>
If chemically-based depression could just be muscled through, the world would be a lot happier.

Sorry to hear about that, OP. It sucks. Since you've already talked about switching medication, that's really the best you can do with that. Is this medication a temporary thing or something you'll need to remain on for your whole life?

If it's temporary, just try to endure. Depression will pass.

If it's permanent, then I hope you can switch the medication up. If not, you'll probably need to see a psych and see if you can counteract the effect.

In the meantime, maybe try to pick up a new non-physical hobby, hang out more with friends, and just try to fill the space as best as you can. And probably don't go to your mother for emotional help anymore.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.