[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can I convince my roommate (tenant) to go to "work"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_8098-613x613.jpg (114KB, 613x613px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8098-613x613.jpg
114KB, 613x613px
So three weeks ago the guy that rents a room from my house lost his job. "No big deal," he says, "I'll drive Lyft to make up the cash while I search for jobs."

This would be fine, but the guy hasn't picked up a SINGLE ride in three weeks, and told me today that he just spent his last money paying a speeding ticket, and that he's unsure if he wants to go pick up riders tonight "because he kind of wants to go hang out with his girl."

I tried to casually suggest that he could make great money tonight because it's Friday night in Vegas and tons of people are getting in town to party, but he kind of shrugged and went upstairs to play PS4 and drink more soda.

I want to yell at him -- but the one hitch is that as of today, I'm unemployed too. (Quit my job, don't start a new one for another month, but the difference is I have tens of thousands of dollars in the bank.) He might accuse me of the pot calling the kettle black when I'm not doing anything, but I need this fucker to start making some money and not just sitting in the house.
>>
You're allowed to evict someone if they don't pay rent
>>
>>18177449
They've got rights though buddy
>>
>>18177447
>stairs to play PS4 and drink more soda.
Tell him to have fruit juice. Soda is terrible to keep bathing he's teeth in sugar
>>
>>18177453
As does the landlord. Including the right to kick someone out if they don't pay rent.
>>
>>18177472
depends, sometimes soemoen can run up a deficit
even then I doubt the Police will bother much. change the lock.
>>
>>18177453
yeah the right they have is that to kick them out you have to evict them..
>>
>>18177479
>sometimes soemoen can run up a deficit
Yes, and you can also kick them out.

>even then I doubt the Police will bother much. change the lock.
Evicting someone is a civil matter. It's not something the police are involved with at all unless it gets violent or to the point where the tenant is trespassing.

Do you know ANYTHING about tenancy law?
>>
If he's jobless that's his business. You really can't get any more involved unless he starts missing payments on rent/bills. then you have every right to light a fire under his ass
>>
>>18177449

He's had some trouble paying rent in the past but has been... okay about paying it on time. If he doesn't pay on time this month I will be giving him notice that he needs to leave... as long as I can find another roommate. The issue is that I really like having the extra source of revenue, even if it's late, y'know? At my age, finding someone who isn't insane as a roommate is difficult. He may be a manchild, but he's mostly quiet and isn't here all that much.
>>
>>18177496
>you know ANYTHING about tenanc
I know if they go to a court they will not get anywhere at the moment
>>
>>18177516
So you'd rather have someone who doesn't pay rent AND uses up utilities than someone not there at all?
>>
File: L-S-Lowry-2.jpg (9KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
L-S-Lowry-2.jpg
9KB, 275x183px
rent nazis. the worst type of nazis.
>>
>>18177531
Manchild detected. Let me guess, you're under attack from the pissbottle and cumsock nazis as well?
>>
>>18177535
I bought a lego boat today with my mums hand out and theres nothing you can do about it
>>
>>18177527

You have a decent point, but he spends a lot of time at his girl's place, so the cost of a shower a couple times a week, occasionally the use of his lights in his room and his PS4/TV is really negligible compared to the $500 I'm missing out on that I have to pay anyways toward my mortgage.

>>18177531
More power to you if mommy lets you live at home the rest of your life. Some of us like being able to bring girls home and not having a curfew.
>>
>>18177561
>You have a decent point, but he spends a lot of time at his girl's place, so the cost of a shower a couple times a week, occasionally the use of his lights in his room and his PS4/TV is really negligible compared to the $500 I'm missing out on that I have to pay anyways toward my mortgage.
The other alternative is having someone who pays that $500.
>>
File: Pendu.jpg (83KB, 731x432px) Image search: [Google]
Pendu.jpg
83KB, 731x432px
>>18177561
>being able to bring girls home and
>>
>>18177571

Assuming I could find someone who actually paid who isn't crazy and won't steal my shit. The hard thing about being 30 and looking for roommates is that most people who are looking to rent a room are either unreliable like this guy, or are completely nuts. It's hard to rent out to complete strangers. At least I've known this guy for five years and know he's not going to bring over his drug addict friends or anything.
>>
>>18177601
>and looking for roommates is
I wouldn't ever bother in my life with this sort of thing
>>
>>18177601
If you're 30, YOU shouldn't be at a point where you need a roommate to be able to pay your mortgage either, desu.
>>
>>18177609

All depends on your lifestyle. I bought a house when the market was absolute shit five years ago for $112,000. It just appraised for $195,000. Up until a couple of months ago, I've charged $500 a room to two roommates, meaning that my total monthly cost of living, utilities included, comes in under $300.

That's a shitton of money I get to either save, spend on vacations, use on sporting events, or whatever, all to fill two rooms that would be sitting there empty anyways.
>>
>>18177627
>er, all to fill two rooms that would be sitting there empty anyways.
I wouldn't bother still. I don't think I'd feel comfortable with strangers off the street in my home.
>>
>>18177618

I was writing my post when you posted this, but see above... it's not about NEEDING a roommate to pay my mortgage, it's just that it's nice to have one to save the money, and I really can't justify having a huge empty house all to myself and just discarding money when I could have a roommate paying a good chunk of it.

I could downsize and move into an apartment, but why pay someone else to live when I could have an asset that retains value?

If I ever decide I want to have a family (I don't, but hey, shit happens), they could all live here.
>>
>>18177636

No one that's ever lived in my house has been a stranger, so that's part of the problem with kicking out the guy that lives here now. He's someone I've known for five years now, that I used to work with. Seemed like a reliable nice dude, but he had a lot more quirks than expected when he moved in.
>>
>>18177524
you serve them an eviction notice after 30 days of not having been paid rent, then they have 30 days to vacate. You get the notice from city hall, I think. It's been a while since I've had to do it.
>>
>>18177479
>change the lock.
You can change the locks, but all he has to do is call the police. Anyone legally living in a residence has the right to entry. The cops would either make you give him a key or change the lock again.
>>
>>18177667
Are you fucking stupid? you're allowed to evict tenants
>>
Rent cops >:/
>>
>>18177447
He paid your rent and did you're dishes last month. Y tf do you give a shit what he does as long as he keeps paying rent
>>
>>18177727
Not without giving notice.

t. Property manager
>>
>>18177829

He didn't do the dishes, so checkmate there, but I'd like him to be able to actually pay for rent at the end of the month, instead of coming to me on the 27th and whining that he doesn't have any money and needs to sell his PlayStation or something. He can go get in his car right now, on a perfectly sunny day where tourists are landing for their vacations, and go make a couple hundred bucks in just a few hours of work.
>>
File: image.jpg (298KB, 500x911px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
298KB, 500x911px
>>18177844
STATISTS GET OUT REEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>18177851
Last thread you said he came over from his gfs while you were gone and had the money on the counter and the dishes were done.
>>
>>18177855

Ah, sorry, I didn't realize you were putting two and two together that I was talking about the same shitty roommate.

I don't consider him leaving his dishes in the sink for three weeks, ignoring repeated reminders to get them done, and the fact that they're still sitting in the dishwasher "doing my dishes," thus why I said they weren't done.

The guy never takes out the trash, does the dishes, or any chores of his own volition, I have to tell him, like a parent.
>>
If the dude pays his rent on time, who cares where or how he makes the money. Who cares if hes a bum and just gets loans from his friends or family to get the cash. So long as you're getting the cash, leave him be.

If he does not pay up on time, then start the eviction process, just make sure you do everything legally or he can get some jew to take you to court and fuck you up.
>>
>>18177727
Watch any given episode of cops where one of them gets mad at their gf/bf and tries to kick them out or dump their shit on the curb on the drop of a hat. Cops always come in and say "Look you can't do that, their name is on the lease, this is their home too. You need to go through the eviction process and use the proper legal channels before you can just kick them out"
>>
>>18177891

The whole point is here is that he has a recurring history of not paying his rent on time. I'm trying to rectify this situation.

I mean, me lighting a fire under his ass to make him go to work is a better situation for him than him living out of his car. He doesn't have any family that can afford to give him a place to stay, or any friends that can do it either. If I could go back in time and tell myself that he's actually a total fuckup, I would, but he was good at hiding that everyone in his life is a total money sponge.
>>
>>18177904
Then tell him flat out
"Listen man, I'm sick of you not paying on time, and you sitting around not working does not make me have any sympathy for you. Pay on time from now on, or we're gonna have a problem."
Done.
>>
>>18177909
This. And who cares if you sound like a hypocrite because you don't have a job either? You own the house, he doesn't. He doesn't have a right to live there unless he pays rent.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.