[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What should I do?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: LA.jpg (932KB, 1000x648px) Image search: [Google]
LA.jpg
932KB, 1000x648px
/adv/ please help me,

I have come across a dilemma that may affect me for the rest of my life.

I am a high school senior in SoCal and I am planning to make a career as a musician (jazz bass) in LA. I know I am good enough because I regularly play with professionals, have won many awards, etc. I just don't know what decision I should make to facilitate that career path based on the following two options.

Option 1: Go to Cal State Northridge (a middle-tier state uni about 45min outside downtown LA) and study economics, while simultaneously try to build a music career in LA.

Option 2: Differ enrollment from Cal State Northridge for a year and move to LA with a friend of mine. With this friend I'd be living around 20min outside of downtown LA and paying either no rent or around $400/month. I'd probably get a job working at Starbucks or something like that, I'd have my own car, and I'd be recording/hustling gigs nonstop (seeing as I already know a few musicians in LA).

Wat do /adv/?
>>
dont go to uni

win at life

???

profit
>>
>>18176118
What do you mean?
>>
>>18176125
The smartest people right now are the ones who don't go to college.
>>
>>18176136
Yeah but just because I'm smart doesn't mean I'm not gonna get fucked.
>>
>>18176140
>>18176125
You can go to university and major in music.

There's the Sydney Conservatorium of Music where I'm from and its a part of the city's biggest uni.

As to whether its actually useful or not, I have no idea. Of course you Burgerstanis have to consider the price tag of uni though
>>
>>18176148
My parents wont pay for me to go to uni for music.

I either do econ in school or I'm on my own
>>
>>18176151
I kind of feel bad for you but your parents have good intentions.

One of my former coworkers is a published cartoonist and hobby painter, but works as a chemist. He doesn't really see the arts as a viable way to make a good living, so he works in a field he accepts/tolerates and does his craft in his spare time.
>>
>>18176164
I can see your point. I definitely have a passion for economics, but it's not my true love. If I were to do music it would be full time (i.e. touring, teaching, etc).
>>
>>18176151
Econ is not a particularly useful degree. Maybe you can compromise with them by majoring in some business field that they will consider practical and you can use to increase your business smarts as a musician/
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.