[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Career change advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 885328.jpg (35KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
885328.jpg
35KB, 480x480px
Im looking to change careers and wanted to get some advice. Im 25, looking to get in to programming because from what some of my friends have said - it pays well and there are still many positions available. It doesn't matter to me if its not my passion, I work to enjoy my passions. Im thinking of joining a bootcamp and putting 100% into it in the next three months with my savings.

Is this a good idea? Has anyone else done this or is in the industry?

Thanks in advance codefags.
>>
>>18175853
Not a codefag but you could try to teach yourself.

Read the /g/ AND /sci/ wikis, learn lots of programming languages that are most needed for the industry and learn the Linux CLI.

Also I hope you will enjoy sitting in your computer all day typing, OP.
>>
>>18175854
Thanks for your reply. I have done some self study, and it's going well. I just feel like I could get more out of courses and some one on one with people who know what they are doing.

Im not too keen on being on a computer all day, but I don't plan on doing this my whole life. I currently do manual labor, so this would be a nice change.
>>
Gonna be studying comp science soon and all the people I've spoken to say coders are being outsourced and the job will be overrun by Indians soon

Most people in IT aim for management jobs.

I guess it varies from area to area but in many places the idea of becoming a 'coder' and making big bucks is dead
>>
>>18176367
Thanks, thats good info. Do you think it will still be a relatively good career for the next few years? Also, President Trump has said he wants to end the abuse of the H1B visa which should cut down on tech companies importing cheap labor. From what I understand.
>>
>>18176650
cheap coders work remotely overseas & online
>>
>>18175853
>25, looking to get in to programming because from what some of my friends have said - it pays well and there are still many positions available.
Few things to keep in mind
-Not that many positions are available, they filter you very quickly be qualification and experince
-It pays ok, it pays well if you have 10+ years of experience and works for big shot companies
-which leads to third point, you will likely be competing with guys who have 10+ years of experience for the good positions. Yes, programming is not difficult to learn and many college graduates have been doing then since they were kids, similar to the problem other anon mentioned, Indian, Chinese guys applying to big shot companies ALL belong to this category.
>>
>>18175853
Sounds like you don't give a shit what you do. Why not try skilled nursing? If you don't love programming, you will never be better than mediocre at it.
>>
>>18176653
>>18176672
Thanks both good info to know. It still seems like a good career for the time being, pays more than others and good work/life balance.

>>18176676
The things is I almost always enjoy doing things even if I didn't originally. The more I do it the more it just becomes interesting to me and I get better and better at it. I've never thought much about nursing, I've never heard of skilled nursing - ill take a look at it.
>>
>>18176693

You are welcome!

>The more I do it the more it just becomes interesting to me and I get better and better at it

Then there is a way to get scouted and offered good jobs. Programming puzzles and competitions:

codeforces for practice and competing. Try to solve as many problem sets as possible.
codegolf.stackexchange also for practice, but take this less seriously than codeforces
Stackoverflow as a source of general basic knowledge
Topcoder for using your skills gained from practicing at the above sites. There are serious money and fame to be gained here.
Kaggle if you are good at data mining, also attract a lot of corporate attention.

You can skim through this to get an idea:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2015-09-25/the-jocks-of-computer-code-do-it-for-the-job-offers
If you have decent ranks at codeforces or Topcoder, plus your other qualifications, you have a shot at well paid technical positions in big companies.
>>
>>18176746
Great info. This helps a lot! I will definitely take that to heart and eventually try my hand at them.

This anon pulled through, and i'm grateful for it.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.