[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I be a trucker?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

I'm on the fence. Here's what I've got going for me

>clean driving record
>anti-social as fuck
>easily entertained by looking out the window at shit
>used to driving for long hours/distances
>have my G, M, and drive manual

I'm also 23 and have zero personal connections to this industry. Would I be laughed out the door at trucker school? What bad shit should I expect from the job/training?
>>
Do it. Life on the road is fun. Youre an actual cowboy.
>>
>>18175754
Could you go into detail regarding your experience in truck driving? I'm super interested, but scared to dive into it because I don't know anything other than the dumb stereotypes people spout about truckers.
>>
>>18175742
> Would I be laughed out the door at trucker school?
No. I know the dumbest, most irresponsible fucks who drive for a living. It's a pretty easy job. The training will be the hardest part, honestly. It's rather similar to driver's ed. They'll teach you how to maneuver the vehicle based on the size of the box, the amount of hours you're allowed to be on the road, what to do if/when a tire explodes, stuff like that. You take written and driven exams and boom. You'll be fine.
>>
>>18175763
Is it true that truck drivers do coke to stay awake at the wheel? What's the max amount of time you can be on the road for?
>>
>>18175742
>>anti-social as fuck
You meant asocial right?

You still need to talk to other fellow truck drivers sometimes, don't be an asshole and be a little more social.
There is literally no job where an asocial guy can work, not even programming at home jobs or shit like that, you still need to socialize a bit.

>>easily entertained by looking out the window at shit
Focus on the road, tard.

>>used to driving for long hours/distances
>>have my G, M, and drive manual
Good.

> Would I be laughed out the door at trucker school? What bad shit should I expect from the job/training?
You're only going to get laugh at some liberal "intellectuals that are smarter than you" just because they got their Gen Ed degree and you didn't.

Don't know about the training but do your best, have patience and don't be an asshole and be a bit social.
>>
>>18175791
>You meant asocial right?
Yes, that's what I meant. I'm not an asshole, it just exhausts me to constantly be interacting with people. I like my alone time, but I'm totally fine with socializing in small doses.

>Focus on the road, tard.
Hey, now. That's what I mean by looking out the window at shit. It's not, "oh, look at the pretty trees!" so much as it is that I am engaged by aiming for the road's horizon, watching as other vehicles pass by, checking my mirrors, my sides, etc.

>You're only going to get laugh at some liberal "intellectuals that are smarter than you" just because they got their Gen Ed degree and you didn't.
At the very least I can counter that bullshit by pointing to my Masters in Psych. Fucking useless anyways, lol.

Thank you for your advice and help. Your insight inspires me to push onward.
>>
>>18175742
I did it for a couple years after high school before I went to college. It was one of my favorite jobs ever. I didn't work long haul though. Never more than about 16-18 hours in a single haul. Mostly up and down the east coast, with most of it in the Mid-Atlantic.

Go for it. I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a life long career, but it's certainly a good gig while you're young. I'd go back to it if I didn't have a family and a better gig right now.
>>
>>18175742
Ask some truckers. There's a trucker fag general thread on /o/
>>
>>18175817
>I'd go back to it if I didn't have a family
Yeah, that's the only thing I worry about. I want a kid someday, and I don't want to be *mostly* absent for their upbringing. Thanks for the insight.

>>18175823
Thanks, I'll check it out.
>>
>>18175771
That's a subjective solution to staying awake? I don't know of anyone who has done that, but then again I don't work a large haul usually. I'm pretty regional, only having to stay on the road away from home about 3-4 days a week. But yeah usually no more than 16 hours. I have two kids and get to see them regularly, so I'm pretty fortunate. I'd say it's worth going to school for a temporary thing.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.