[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do I need to go to university?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: college.jpg (97KB, 900x420px) Image search: [Google]
college.jpg
97KB, 900x420px
>be me and get accepted into a program that allows me 2 years of free education to get my general education/associates degree at local community college
>have no direction in my life because my parents/friends/middle school/high school/internet/ have told me my entire life that 'it's ok to not know what you wanna do' and 'that's what college is for and where you'll figure that sort of thing out'
>suck it up go to the community college
>in my time there, become completely disillusioned with institutionalized education, realizing that i've just wasted 2 years of my life taking useless classes that do not benefit me
>realize I have no fucking clue what I want to do in my life, outside a passion for computers
>in my heart, know that a fleeting passion for a hobby isn't enough to justify going to college for another 2 years and taking on student loans
>start asking around and researching if there's any use in trying to get an IT/CIS/CS/ any computer related job if you don't go to college
>every single person unanimously agrees that you stand no chance if you do not get a degree
>think of sitting through another 2 fucking years of classes that may or may not be hot garbage for a degree I may not even be able to guarantee myself a job with
>I learn teaching myself on my own anyway, but recognize the importance of a classroom setting
>the time to settle my future with this choice is coming up really fucking fast

holy SHIT what do I fucking DO lads? Does anyone have any insight to this situation at all? Anything would be appreciated.
>>
>>18175663
at least where i live, it IS possible to get a computering sort of job without a degree. just takes tons of initiative and some luck, and you'll always get paid a lot less than if you had it.

there are lots of people in your situation, OP. it's a tough pill to swallow, but pretty much all jobs suck. you do it for the money. and you get the $30k piece of paper for the money also.

it's not an easy choice at all.
>>
>>18175663
also if i could go back in time, i'd pick something easy like being a teacher.

i'm a semester short of getting my CS batchelors and it's a BITCH, at least at my school. lots of math, and they make classes that should be easy, like compilers and algorithms, as hard as they can just for the hell of it.
>>
File: 1479420142258.jpg (1MB, 3451x2635px) Image search: [Google]
1479420142258.jpg
1MB, 3451x2635px
>>18175663
Do you REALLY have a passion for computers now?

Then go take some IT/CIS classes and try to learn a lot of programming languages on your own.
Read the /g/ wiki as well.

And I'm not reccomending you CS classes because I don't know how good you're with math, since you generally need calculus.

I seriously hope you finally decided IT/CIS and are not going to give up, because you're wasting a fuckton of money.

Have some /g/ info.
>>
>>18175715
>>18175714
The majors offered at the college are CIS and CS, but the CS major has 4 concentrations to choose from (Networking, Databasing, Software Development, or straight CS) while the CIS major has 2 concentrations to choose from (straight information systems, or web development)

The CIS concentration is literally half business classes not relating to anything CIS related, and the CS programs don't offer any programming classes besides a 200 and 300 level class.

I'm not speaking in terms of pure programming, either, because i'd rather stay away from the sort of job if I could help it. Not to say that obviously knowing some programming would help no matter what job you're in, but surely the IT world encompasses more tech jobs than just code monkey, right? I really need degrees for that?
>>
>>18175730
well do some research on the required courses. sounds like that program might be a bit more reasonable than what i did.

personally, i think it's moronic to require a database or networking guy to have a 4 year degree, but they usually do.

like i said, you can try not getting a degree. get certificates, learn all the tools, set up LDAP in your basement. it really boils down to whether you know someone or not, and the amount of demand in your area.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.