[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have crippling depression!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: going down.jpg (13KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
going down.jpg
13KB, 640x400px
I have a fairly long history of depression and assorted mental illness in my family/past. In the past five or six years I have become very good at faking happy. I have come to the point where I realize that this is probably bad for me and others, but I am so deep in shit that I can't simply wade back out. I never get any joy/happiness from activities anymore unless they are brand new to me. That is the only time I get a spark of happy. But no longer. I often give up on things that I start.

What gets a guy out of deep depressions?
How can I begin searching for happiness?

Assorted info:
Had a stable GF for 3 years
Depression and suicide attempts common
Psychotic episodes under stress

I am generally fucked beyond belief at the moment and would appreciate some help.
>>
>>18174988
Did you mean had a gf and broke up, or you still have one and have been dating three years? Regardless, and I know it's fucking tough, trust me, trying to go through all the stereotypical things people will tell you to help yourself. Seek therapy or counselling, medication, the love of friends and family, and continue to try those new things, some interesting stuff might be like arts you've never tried, go dancing, try a new food style, get a new haircut. Baby steps
>>
>>18175078
I still have that gf yeah. She knows of this and attempts to help. I've had several psychiatrists and am currently on a mood stabilizer. I am a technopath of sorts. Anything in that vein you know of or recommend?
>>
>>18175092
Maybe try a competitive sport with some action and contact. Like rugby, boxing or something like that. It's hard to feel down or sad when shit goes down. For me the fighting and training in muay thai is an escape from the world. There are lots of moments when you are purely focused on the moment, on your body, on the guy who holds the pads or your sparring partner. It's like mental wellnes.
>>
>>18175118
I'll add that to my to do list
>>
>>18175132
I hope you enjoy it. Often all the troubles and feels are just blown away from me when I train. This heavy weith that I feel everyday is just gone for a 2 minute round and then another one and then another one (that's probably the kind of freling you're searching for) I'm 100% focused on the moment, body and mind become one. I prefer this over drugs and recommend it. Hope it'l help
>>
>>18174988
> I never get any joy/happiness from activities anymore unless they are brand new to me. That is the only time I get a spark of happy. But no longer. I often give up on things that I start.
I can relate, but I have learned that the secret is actually enduring in things that are not brand new and sticking to a healthy routine for your life. I know it sounds hard, but you have to do it. You'll end up hating it a lot of the time, but enduring is the key.

Antidepressants and antipsychotics are helping me a lot. Lack of sense of purpose in everything and the fact that the world is going to shit makes me feel strange. Antidepressants can only fix so much.
>>
Eat fresh fruit& veg, especially oranges and tomatoes 1b. cut back on white sugar, use honey. 2.exercise, walk places. 3. make friends, start a hobby 4.see medical professional about changing anti-depressants, as some may work for u.
>>
>>18175228
Often times sticking to things finds me desperately waiting for returns. It's mostly the reason I ever don't quit. The longest hobbies I've ever held have been computers and super smash bros melee, but they are slowly fading. I recently went down on my medication by doctors orders. Could this be the cause?
>>
>>18175276
Yes. I know from experience that medication affects largely on this kind of shit. I don't like the idea of sticking to meds too long myself, but maybe it's necessary. You should also be careful not to develop a dependence on them. Right now the antidepressants are pulling the other end of the constant anguish and apathy rope and the antipsychotics help me sleep, although I don't know how well they're treating the psychosis. I still maintain some delusions due to the fact that I think that some of the shit that happened was definitely real. Also, I know it's very hard, but try changing your thoughts on your life. To act more positively you need first to think more positively. I actually just felt a glimpse of that when I was out a few minutes ago. I noticed how going out for a walk and smoking a cigarette made my life feel 200% better on the spot. Made me come to /adv/ to ask for help (>>18175280) and download some movies I was dying to watch. Do things you enjoy, but don't overdo them, and put things that are necessary into your routine. I think that's how we drag ourselves out of this shit.
>>
>>18175298
I'm gonna go get my meds back to normal. Seems to be correlated. I have some trauma associated with my illness. Physical and parental abuse by mother and uncle to be completely transparent with you all. Could that specifically tie to my hobbies and why they are so dry?
>>
>>18175323
I don't think so. The thing with your hobbies might have to do with depression alone, the depression being caused (at least in part) by the abuse. It's strange how we work. I'm having the same problem. Just noticed it now watching the movie. It's a classic I know I love even before watching it and still I'm having difficulty watching it. Perseverance is key.
>>
>>18175265
I don't appreciate the racism, bro.
Are you trying to imply that brown sugar is any better?

Fuck that noise.
>>
>>18175336
You're right. I can't keep swapping activities or I'll become a jack of all master of none. I don't want that.
>>
File: 1490910875450.jpg (38KB, 645x438px) Image search: [Google]
1490910875450.jpg
38KB, 645x438px
Fixed.
>>
>>18175349
Fixed is right. Depressions instantly gone!
>>
Sounds like you're so busy trying to keep everything in, that you're having a difficult time seeing what is directly in front of you.

Depression... depressed. Brought down. By whom? By what? Sadness is not depression, depression is separation. Separation from yourself.

Depression is the sign of an ineffectual solution for dealing with real world problems. Can or can not becomes less the problem, and more of a question of should or shouldn't.

The irony of needing release, but being so ignorant of your own emotions that you don't even know what it is that you need to let out.

What you need to stop do is telling yourself what to do, and just shut up and listen. It's okay to get angry, you aren't a psychopath. It's okay to get sad, you aren't a pussy. It's okay to laugh, you aren't a robot. It's okay to be self-centered, your world revolves around you.

Let yourself feel. Breathe, don't think.
>>
>>18175428
I do need a step back. I'm too engrossed in the detail of emotions.
>>
File: Album Art.jpg (116KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Album Art.jpg
116KB, 1024x1024px
I have schizophrenia, and I can't get out of the bed when I have a depression episode. I often think about suicide. Maybe I need to change my medication.

Sometimes I find happiness when Im with my family and friends, they kind make me forget that I have a mental illness. Also playing piano and learning another another language helped me a bit
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.