[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Asshole Check: Rent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1459209793929.png (49KB, 773x576px) Image search: [Google]
1459209793929.png
49KB, 773x576px
I need to check if I'm being an asshole here or not. I am the owner of the house, renting to a roommate. Rent is due monthly, on the 28th.

>Roommate lost job about two-three weeks ago
>Has had problems paying rent on time because he's irresponsible with money, spends it on toys and his girlfriend and videogames and snack food
>Promises he's okay, he's also a Lyft driver, will make money there
>Haven't seen him leave the house to do a single Lyft run, spends all day playing PS4, or going to his girl's place
>Remind him on the 26th, rent is due, and he needs to do the dishes that have been in the sink since before he lost his job
>Okay

28th
>Dishes aren't done
>Money is not on the counter
>Call him
>"Hi, are you going to have rent today"
>"Well I'm at my girlfriend's across town"
>"Okay, are you going to have rent today"
>"Well can I bring it tomorrow"
>"No"
>...
>...
>"FINE, I'll drive all the way over there"
>"Okay and do your dishes"
>I'm not home when he comes by, money is on the counter, dishes get done

30th, today
>I'm on the couch working
>He walks in
>Money is still on the counter
>"Did you see I paid you?"
>"Yeah thanks"
>"Why'd you make me come all the way over here if you weren't going to take it?"
>"Because rent is due on the 28th"
>"You couldn't have waited a day?"
>"I needed you to prove to me you were going to pay me on time"
>"That was a waste of gas yadda yadda yadda money is tight yadda yadda yadda"

So, am I a shithead, or should he have planned ahead and had his money to me when it was due? I kept it on the counter just to jab at him.
>>
>>18174759
You're the asshole. You could have given him the benefit of the doubt if he's never failed you, and in retrospect he obviously deserved it.
>>
>>18174766

>You could have given him the benefit of the doubt if he's never failed you
>Has had problems paying rent on time because he's irresponsible with money, spends it on toys and his girlfriend and videogames and snack food

I'll take reading comprehension for $5000, Alex
>>
>>18174759

sounds to me like you're just defending your territory. the dishes thing might have been a little dick-ish, but only a little.

you wanting the rent on the 28th and him expecting you to just take it when he has it is unfair.

your teacher doesn't grade your assignment til a week or two later sometimes, it doesn't mean you can turn it in late.
>>
>>18174759
If you did it out of resentment, you were an asshole, but that's it.

If your mental narrative is that what you did is a normal thing to do then you're an active asshole
>>
>>18174772
That's the point, this topic is all about OP's definition of "on time". This makes me think that the guy has sometimes paid it a day or two later. I'll agree with him that it's annoying, but that's not how you deal with a human being you live with.
>>
>>18174759
He did pay on the rent day,you are in right about dishes and hygiene but personally i wouldn't mind him being late one or two days due to him losing job.Also you can keep your money where you want but don't be mean,be professional.
>>
>>18174788

OP here - the guy has sometimes paid up to TWO MONTHS late while I've floated him, because he hadn't taken the initiative to job hunt. I have been very firm with him that he either has to pay me on time, or arrange in advance a reason he isn't paying on time and when he is going to pay. Just because I have savings doesn't mean I'm his personal lender. If this were an apartment complex, he wouldn't be able to pay a few days late without a penalty.

My issue is that the guy doesn't prioritize getting the money he owes me on time to pay our bills, because he is busy spending money on non-essential things like toys and girlfriends and snacks. Plus he doesn't pay attention to the home.

He should treat the money like I don't have the money either and am living paycheck to paycheck - it's unfair for me to have to hold back on purchases I may want to make, or things I may want to go do, because I'm waiting on his share of the rent to arrive.
>>
>>18174834
I take back what I said then. That said, you live with him. Being strict in your situation is okay given your history, but don't antagonize him on principle. I'd feel the same way in your place, but it's counter-productive.

Be strict about the day, but as said above keep it professional. It's okay to tell him that you can't support him and he'll have to move, but insulting him will just make him want to escalate. When you can, use the carrot instead of the stick, a "thank you" goes a long way even if you don't mean it.
>>
Leaving the money on the counter is what I take issue with, that's unprofessional and makes you look like you were just doing this out of some weird power trip.
>>
>>18174851

I mean, I just didn't really think of it, I left the money where he put it. I didn't need to deposit it. After he brought it up, I've moved it with the rest of my cash.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.