[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to start working out and stay motivated?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

How do I get into working out, and most importantly, stay motivated?

This Saturday I'm joining a gym with my friend that is going to train me, who works out religiously. I have no excuses right now. I have the money to join the gym, the time to go, and he's willing to put in the time to walk me through everything I need to know.

But I'm absolutely dreading it. Working out has always made me feel like garbage, even months in. It hurts my joints, makes me exhausted, it's just absolute misery, and the only thing that makes me want to do it is pure vanity.

I'm not super fat or anything, I basically look like the left. How do I maintain motivation and get into it?
>>
Haha! Fatass!
*motivates u*
>>
Idk man, lifting weights is boring as shit and progress is very slow. If you just want to get in shape, then explore another althletic option thats actually fun, like sports or martial arts. If you want to be JACKT ask your friend to get you some steroids and start working out with him.
>>
>>18172276

The only sport I'm any good at is football, and it's too hard to get people together for that. I don't want to learn martial arts because I'm not going to be able to maintain a timing for a class coming up here - I need something I can do on my own time.

It's more important to me to look aesthetically pleasing and healthy than it is to be strong, at the end of the day.
>>
>>18172302
Why couldnt you go to a class a few times a week? You really dont have an hour free each evening? I train with full time professors, cops, college students etc. etc.
>>
>>18172312

Well, part of it is that I'm not highly interested in it, but my upcoming work schedule is going to be highly volatile where I may be working at night the whole week, or working during the day the whole week, or working a couple of days here, and a couple of days off...

I'm doing an on-demand contracting thing for a friend for the next couple of months. A gym I can go to and leave at any time.
>>
>>18172344
Well you dont sound highly interested in going to 'da gym' either, so im telling you to explore other options. You have some image in your head of a martial arts class or a sports club that is 100% different than the reality. You would fall in love with something out there but youre stuck in that stupid "i have to go to the gym to get in shape" mindset that most unathletic people such as yourself have for some reason. Anything that will make you sweat is good, if youre truly dreading lifting weights with your friend, then find something else to do (besides stuffing your fat face).
>>
I like to split my gym days. I end up going to each one of my planned days because I don't want to mess up my routine.
>>
>>18172354

I'm not sure why you think I have an inaccurate idea of what a martial arts class or a sports club is like... I have three very close friends that practice jiu jitsu four times a week, and understand the time commitment. I have friends who play in a basketball league (and I am VERY bad at basketball, and wouldn't find it fun. It's very hot where I live and outdoor sports are difficult to play here, so there are not many indoor options besides basketball that are available).

Anything exercise is going to draw the same kind of lack of motivation though, I've just never been someone who has enjoyed exercise. It doesn't mean I don't accept it as a part of life, and something that needs to be done.
>>
>>18172254

Working out is to a large extent a meme. If you want exercise just go swimming; you'll get all the benefits worth having and your joints will feel fine!
>>
>>18172379
>i have friends who do something therefore i understand it
>all i can say about jiu jitsu and basketball is that theyre time consuming and too hot :'(

Nigga, stop being a whiny little fatass and get out of your comfort zone. Im sure your friends have begged you to come try bjj tons of times but you always have some faggot ass excuse. If you go to the gym again youll probably just quit with that mindset. Therefor, test something besides lifting.
>>
>>18172254
Once you get in the rythym, pain becomes a burn and the burn is pure pleasure
>>
>>18172395

I didn't complain that jiu jitsu or basketball were too hot - I was saying there aren't many outdoor sports leagues because I live in the middle of the desert where it hits 120 degrees in the summer.

My friends haven't really tried to get me to join jiu jitsu, they've been in it for 10+ years and don't wanna bring my newbie ass in there to drag them down.
>>
>>18172443
Damn all of them have been in it for 10+ years? Those guys must be legit black belts at this point. I would strongly recommend giving a class with them a shot, most people dont have access to that level of training partner. And as far as dragging them down... nobody has that mindset in martial arts unless its a school full of world class competitors getting ready for tournaments. They would be more than happy to teach their friend unless theyre massive douches. Unless of course theyve echoed your sentiments, in that case then they are douches.
>>
>>18172457

Well, they haven't really pushed it. I don't have that much interest, like I said. We're 30 years old, they all started when they were between 14-18, so yeah, more than 10 years.

While I appreciate the encouragement to go join them, I really don't want to get into it with them at this point and don't like how seriously they take the spiritual side of it, so I probably won't be joining it.

Still open to motivational ideas for a traditional gym/workout structure.
>>
swimming would be way better
>>
>>18172478
I understand you dont have interest, but whats the worst that would happen if you hit them up to go try one class? You have a good time with your friends for an hour and a half and then say that its not for you?
>>
>>18172254
Stop jerking off.

Seriously. Real pussy or nothing. Your testosterone rises and so will your will to improve.

And if your joints hurt, take Calcium supplements and/or do swimming.
>>
>>18172487

You get someone's hopes up that you have an interest in their hobby, but actually don't, and then bail on it after an intro session? They've talked about it for ten years and I can't handle spending an hour and a half in a dojo treating their "saifu" or whatever they call him with honor and respect when really my only goal is to get in shape so I can bang some drunk skeeze from the bar.
>>
Being healthy isnt a hobby.

You either change your life style for good or you fall back into the same rut your in now being a fat lazy whingy cunt.

All or nothing otherwise its a waste of both your time.
>>
>>18172919

Well, the goal is to make this a lifestyle change. I want to maintain this habit. I want to remain motivated to consistently go to the gym, and make it feel like part of my daily routine, instead of this completely agonizing chore.
>>
I suggest that you start eating the right foods. I'm not sure what your situation is but if you can get your hands on healthier foods you can increase your fat loss as well as make room for muscle gains that you make while working out.

Secondly, don't worry too much about the gym religiously. As long as you're staying fit and working out in moderation you'd be maintaining a healthy balance.
>>
>>18172402
This is actually very true. As cliche as it sounds, it feels so good to 'burn' off stress and worry by the means of a 50lb dumbbell.
>>
>>18172945

I'm currently on a diet and have lost 10 lbs since I've started. I'm focused very much on eating the right foods, counting calories, all that kind of thing. The reason I'm out of shape in the first place is too much beer, and with that gone, the fat is melting off fast.

But I want to look good - so the gym is important. I'm not looking to be shredded, but I want a decent aesthetic. My plan is to go at least five days a week.
>>
>>18172556
Lol i guess it depends what kind of jiu jitsu academy it is. Some are traditional and strict and some are relaxed and everyone smokes reefer together before class. You might genuinely enjoy it either way though.
>>
>>18172986
Lolwut.
guarenteed some stoner who has trained for 3 years opens up his own dojo. Gets everyone high instead of proper teaching.
>>
Im still waiting for the "motivated is not real" video, someone post it already
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.