[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>known exactly what I wanted to do with my life since I was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 151215_GABE_750.jpg (43KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
151215_GABE_750.jpg
43KB, 750x750px
>known exactly what I wanted to do with my life since I was 10
>work hard at developing the skills for it
>hours poured into free online courses and personal projects
>get full ride scholarship to university
>fuck up hard, lose scholarship after first year
>run out of money after first semester of my second
>move back home, get shitty retail job, go to community college
>social life dies because all my friends are scattered around the country
>now at risk of flunking out of community college too
>field I want to go into (cybersecurity/sysadmin) pretty much requires a degree
>increasingly convinced college isn't for me
>no idea where to go from here
>killing myself looks more tempting every day
Help.
>>
>>18172143
>field I want to go into (cybersecurity/sysadmin) pretty much requires a degree

doesn't necessarily have to be in CS. I work in security with a psych degree. That said, it sounds like you have issues focusing so I'd address those. Maybe talk to a doctor or therapist?
>>
>>18172143
Cybersecurity doesn't require a degree, and it isn't hard to get into an average university to study Cyber/Info security. Shit, I got an offer to study Info Sec and I didn't even really want to, I just applied for the heck of it with mediocre high school grades. Didn't take it but if I can get an offer then you can easily if you managed to get a full scholarship for it before.

What's difficult about learning it yourself if you have that passion in you already? You said you've worked on the skills and done projects, all you need to do now is look at a uni syllabus and copy it, learn everything they would learn from the same books and make an amazing portfolio that proves you actually have those skills.

As far as I have seen, most software related jobs don't actually require a degree, and even if they ask for one, they will test you anyway. There's always a way to get into a job though, you know those guys that stand with signs asking for jobs in public places? They are using unconventional ways of getting a job, you don't just have to do the sheeple way of applying online and then killing yourself when they don't respond. Go knock on some doors and do some self-pitching and show off your work and skills.
>>
>>18172156
>doesn't necessarily have to be in CS
I know. But I don't actually have problems with the CS classes. Get As and Bs in those. They're just the only ones I pass.

>Maybe talk to a doctor or therapist?
I'm on antidepressants. Tried perscription adderall. Meet with a psychiatrist about once a month.

>>18172162
>make an amazing portfolio that proves you actually have those skills.
This is the part I don't have any idea what to do with. What kinds of projects should I be doing? How do I find people to work with? That and what do I do with my life while I'm building a portfolio and trying to find jobs? I still have to eat.
>>
>>18172168
If you were really passionate about this then these are questions you should have googled a long time ago.

You know what you have to do, you just don't want to do it. Get a full-time job (or move back in with mom), go to school part time. Try harder in school. If you need help understanding things, find a tutor. If you just aren't doing your homework, do your homework
>>
>>18172168
Dude, you said you already did projects on this. Well, you actually said you did projects about your 'passion' but you didn't specify what that was. Was it actually cybersecurity or something completely different?

If you passed your cybersecurity classes with A's and B's then why did you flunk Uni?

Be a bit more specific and clear with your actual situation or else you won't get useful advice.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.