[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Punctuation - how important?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: 7800b7_6218842.jpg (70KB, 1127x685px) Image search: [Google]
7800b7_6218842.jpg
70KB, 1127x685px
Guys i need help, i'm feeling like shit.
>at uni about to start a project with some people. worked with one of these guys on last semester' project
When we were editing the final project, he sperged so hard about my punctuation (we live in a country in EU, so the rules are quiet different) shitting on my commas and periods, and almost no comments to the work itself.
>be now, new group now and he's in it.
He starts out saying that i should be able fix my commas and periods because apparently it's bad, and it's a grade changing thing bla bla it's the end of the world if i dont. It gets to me, feel really shit. I try to explain that in a big project it won't matter that much, except if it's absolutely unreadable (which it wasn't and isn't going to be) but he just dismisses it.

Guys i know punctuation is important, but is it really THAT important? I mean that is almost the only thing he focuses on, fucking punctuation, and almost disregarding everything else about a project. He pisses me off, but i can see what he means, i just don't think it's that big a deal.
>>
>>18171134

In uni, yes, it is important. Why would anyone take what you say seriously if you can't even express yourself correctly? Especially if you're doing research or projects or other such things that will most likely be peer reviewed, it's important. If you express yourself like a 12-year-old, your academic work will be treated like that of a 12-year-old.
>>
>>18171134
>Is it that important?

It depends on the project and subject area. The grading guidelines and your professor are better people to ask.

Yes, usually at college level, it is important. If you are that terrible at it tell him "I don't think I'll be able to change my punctuation within the time this project is over, do you mind helping me correct it?" Or, just ask someone else to proofread, like your school's academic success program.
>>
If he's your fellow student, then he sounds like a fucking autist sperging out so much to you. However, yes, many people neglect punctuation these days, and the proper use of it makes your writing so much more elegant and precise.
>>
File: 1_pjqr6EibMsnGA0zy0t6ypQ_1_.png (2MB, 2000x1169px) Image search: [Google]
1_pjqr6EibMsnGA0zy0t6ypQ_1_.png
2MB, 2000x1169px
>>18171134
Êtes-vous français ?

Only the Francophones could compare to the Anglophones in terms of linguistic austerity.

It's hard to judge your situation from the eyes of an outsider. We don't really know what language you speak, how you are as a person, and what that autist sees in your punctuation. If this is a group project, and if your punctuation skills are really that bad, then everyone else in the group should be telling you the same things that guy is. They want a good grade just as much as you or that guy does.

That being said, punctuation is still quite important. You seem you be able to handle semi-complex sentence structure, so I'll venture out to say that that guy you're dealing is just being a fucking idiot.

What exactly is he grinding you about?
>>
Punctuation is EXTREMELY important. Like, you may as well not even bother writing a college paper if your punctuation is wrong, important.

I don't know how you've gotten this far with poor punctuation. In every level of schooling I've had, improper punctuation would keep me from getting anything over a 60% on a paper.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.