[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1478217504130.jpg (54KB, 680x598px) Image search: [Google]
1478217504130.jpg
54KB, 680x598px
Sup /adv/. Any psycho-fags around here? I have an issue understanding a specific behaviour in people:

We all know we lie to cover things up. E.g.: Mum asks if you went to bed early yesterday. You didn't and you want to cover it up so you don't get into trouble. In order to cover it up one might follow this up with further lies, creating a whole fragile construct of lies.
Now this is the most common and obvious reason to lie. Covering things up to avoid trouble.

But what about this:
You didn't go to bed early yesterday, even though mum told you to do so. The next day, she doesn't ask whether or not you did. No reason to lie, right?
Now what does it mean when someone, in this situation, approaches their mum themselves and tells her that they went to bed only a bit later, even though they barely slept that night.
Not only this, but this person might even push this lie again over the course of weeks, telling their mum that they only went to bed a bit later. When finally being asked by mum whether that's the whole truth, they confirm - again, lying.
There obviously isn't a reason to lie here, so why do it? Mum hasn't asked herself, so by just staying quiet that person would have avoided trouble anyways.

What's the reason behind this, exept for that person being an asshole? Do people do this to fool themselves about being honest? Do they enjoy lying? Do they enjoy messing with people? What to make off this?
>>
>>18170595
i'm no psychologist OP but according to my professor in polygraphy they're types of liars called tournament liar. These people love to lie and are excited by the challenge of not being detected
>>
>>18170595
They try to come up as good to compensate their bad behaviour, they might actually be more honest than you are by fleeing confrontations and acting like an hypocrite keeping things for yourself.
Protip: everybody lie at least once a day
>>
>>18170595
This reads like a psych class homework assignment. Do your own homewrok.
>>
>>18170846
Project much. Nowhere have I stated that I'm avoiding confrontation. This simply isn't the point of my post. I was merely asking what kind of sense it makes to push a lie onto someone and what the psychological motives are for it. There's literally no neccessity. Either you tell the truth and come forward with it - or you lie and keep the truth to yourself. You may even say nothing at all. But why push forward and rub that lie in someones face that literally didn't care about it in the first place. Again, I absolutely don't see why anyone would be outgoing with this.
>>
The only thing it looks like is a covert contract.

If I assure my mom i'm sleeping it will somehow not worry her as much.

I'm not a psych maybe a bit of psycho/sociopath, but is it just me or why do i/people have this urge to lie in a situation where truth is an absolutely better option and I am aware of it?
>>
>>18170901
That's the thing I find so odd. If you want confrontation, why not tell truth? Confronting mum, but then lying about it seems absolutely pointless. Why have a confrontation if you're not telling the truth? Or the other way around: If you don't want to tell the truth, why have a confrontation? Confronting with a lie seems like the worst options of all. You're neither avoiding, nor are you really confronting and solving. Therefore my question: This seems so messed up, I can't think of much else but the 'likes to mess with people/is a psych' explanation.
>>
I'll help you with your psych homework.
>What's the reason behind this, exept for that person being an asshole? Do people do this to fool themselves about being honest? Do they enjoy lying? Do they enjoy messing with people? What to make off this?

It varies from person to person. There are different kinds of liars. You have the average timmy who lies to cover himself for little mundane stuff, you have people who make things up to seem more interesting, then you have behavior that is considered borderline sociopathic.

The average jimmy simply knows small fibs and white lies can keep him from getting an ass chewing. Jimmy just doesn't want mom chewing his ass and knows she probably isn't the wiser. Hopefully jimmy doesn't learn to excessively lie, as that would be wrong.

Then you have people who blatantly make things up, such as grossly exaggerating how much they can lift, making up stories to seem 'bad ass' and cool. These kinds of lies are most associated with symptoms of mild depression or inflated ego - people lie to compensate for their lack of an interesting life or personality, or simply think they're Jesus himself.

Now we have the people who do actually enjoy messing with people and being assholes. Gaslighting and mind games are a common tool of these assholes. This behavior falls under the category of sociopathic. Some people feel they are such good liars that they can lie to psychologically target and/or bully people.

Unfortunately, everyone lies. It's really the only way to keep things normal sometimes. That doesn't make it right though, but it's really the only way to survive and thrive sometimes.
>>
>>18171043
>psych homework
It's a situation I have with my ex right now. No homework here. I never had someone do this and it seems completely fucked up for me.

Situation is:
We broke up mid November. We fucked again on christmas. There, without me asking her, she told me she made out with some drunk fag once while also being piss drunk.
Fast forward, 2 weeks ago. I know from someone - and have guessed it myself - that it was only about 2 weeks after our breakup that she started fucking this guy. I asked her multiple times what happened with him and and especially when it happened. She lied every time, telling me it only started weeks after christmas - till I confronted her about it.

Her reasoning: "I wanted to be honest, but I did not want to hurt you."

My 2 cents: Bullshit. If she didn't want to hurt me she would have either not sucked dick 2 weeks after our breakup or would have shut her dirty whore mouth about it, like I've asked her to.

To get back to the mum-analogy:
I didn't ask her about her affairs. I did not want to know. I guessed it, but I hoped I was wrong. She could have just kept her mouth shut, but no - she comes forward, but with a lie...multiple times. Like Jimmy approaching his mum again and again, telling her about how he's only stayed up 10min longer, even though she never asked him about it at all. What's Jimmys reasoning?

I never had someone behave so strange. People being cunts, yes. People being whores, yes. People lying, yes. People trying to mess with me, yes. But I've never had someone come to me and tell me a lie about something I didnt even care/want to know about in the first place. I mean, why? You want to mess with me/make me jelly: Why not tell me the truth. You want to avoid me being jelly: Why not shut your mouth/stop being a whore?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.