[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I moved into a one-bedroom apartment in February, and it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

So I moved into a one-bedroom apartment in February, and it's been great. Quiet, spacious yet cozy (for one person, anyway). Not super expensive, and looks great.

However, here in Georgia, it has been getting warmer and warmer this month. We didn't really have a Winter, and this week it has been hovering around 80 degrees. My apartment has a hotel-like air conditioning unit that does a great job of keeping the living room and kitchen comfortable, but it does fuck all back here in the bedroom.

It's super hot back here. I have been sleeping on my couch to avoid sleeping in the sweltering hot. It's ridiculous.

Any tips on getting an AC Unit in the front of my apartment to at least make a dent on the heat in the back? It's about 550 sq.ft.

It's also a shotgun-style floor plan. I'll include it next post.

Thanks.
>>
File: floorplan-311x1024.jpg (43KB, 311x1024px) Image search: [Google]
floorplan-311x1024.jpg
43KB, 311x1024px
My apartment.

The air conditioner is in the window at the front (bottom). Everything else is self explanatory.
>>
a fan can help push it, as can having a window in your bedroom open (this will help suck the air out of the living room, towards said window, but it of course means ,the air will be leaking out the window as well).

same problem but here in los angeles where we'll have 90 degree nights sometimes, and i just cant make myslef sleep on a couch.

so i bought an AC for my room. you can get one for like 100 bucks. i had to pay like 200 since i couldn't get a window unit for my lease and had to get a 'floor' unit that just sticks the hose out the window.

but just dont tell your landlord and you should be fine.
>>
>>18170472
Yeah - there's a fan above the bedroom door (like a vent fan) that pushes *some* air through, but changes 1-2 degrees, tops. Helpful, but I like it for the white noise more than the cooling factor, hah.

Yeah man - GA hits the 90s at night sometimes, too. Sucks.

I was thinking of buying an AC for my room, and I wasn't aware that units like pic related existed. Any experience with these?
>>
File: 1461809713534.jpg (12KB, 600x398px) Image search: [Google]
1461809713534.jpg
12KB, 600x398px
Op I have an idea

Make the living room your new bedroom.

Think about it
>>
>>18170555
I actually have. I have friends and work-related guests over pretty frequently, though. It'd feel weird to open the door to let them in, and tada - there's my bed.
>>
>>18170528
These work great. They're expensive but worth the money. The only downside is needing to "fit" it into the window. They usually come with a board you can slide into the window to hold the exhaust hose in place, while sealing up all the other open space in the window. I wouldn't recommend these units for a first floor apartment. People can knock the flimsy window guard out and break into your place easily. If you're on a higher floor, though, and the window you have the exhaust pipe hanging out of is not accessible by anyone, then go for it.
>>
>>18170528
Find one thats capable of cooling the space of your bedroom. If you can don't cheap out either. I've had a couple shitty ones that couldn't do the job, it was a waste of money.
>>
>>18170559
>>18170562

Yeah, top floor actually. I see one of these by Haier at Home Depot for $180. I'm certainly going to look into it.

I'll have to check how intense they'd be on the power bill though.
>>
Just get a big window fan and have it blowing OUT of your bedroom window. Should work very well.
>>
>>18170556
Futon or whatever the thing that's a couch but folds out into a bed so called
>>
>>18170564
Also take notice of whether you're buying a evaporative cooler or an actually air conditioner, because they work differently and may not fit you in Georgia.
>>
>>18170469
Can't help you OP but this looks cozy AF.
>>
>>18170599
It is. I really love it. It's a little more than I'm used to paying ($650 a month + utilities) but it's nice not having roommates.

Here's some video I shot and edited of it when I moved in a while back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8fM-63jeOI
>>
Just get a regular fan and have it blow on you while you sleep at night
>>
>>18170528
Yeah... don't. Those work by exhausting hot air out the back. Like, it blows air out of your home. Which means air must be sucked in from somewhere else in the house. Which means you are sucking in summer hot air and thus losing efficiency.

You would be much better off with a window unit. They're not hard to install. They're cheaper. And they don't take any floorspace.

You will also need to drain the water pan. A window unit will just drip the water on the ground outside. Window units are better in almost every way possible. Only use a portable AC when there is absolutely no other option.

The home depot (or similar) will have a selection of window units. They will be rated for square foot. Also look at the electric rating, like how many watts it uses. Using 1000 watts for an hour costs about 12 cents on your electric bill. Likewise, 500 watt-hours would thus be about 6 cents. And so on.

If the electric isn't rated in watts, but amps, then multiply by 120 to get the wattage.
>>
>>18170467
Take the computer out of the bedroom, they are a bit like portable heaters sometimes. keep the curtains closed in the day, stop sunlight getting in, maybe get light reflecting blinds?
>>
>>18170528

thats actually the kind i have, different model, but same basic thing. it works great, keeps my room nice and chilled and has a remote so i can turn it off or on in the middle of the night.

if you're already spending money on air conditioning in your electricity bill this is great, as you wont be wasting as much at night trying to cool down your bedroom.

it'll save you money in the long run PLUS you can easily store it in your closet during the cooler months.

if you want it closer to your wall you can also remove the board, hang the pipe out of your window and just seal it up with some cardboard, though that comes with its own issues.

its biggest problem is fucking noise, what i like to do is run it REALLY high a few hours before bed, and then by the time i go to sleep its so cold that i can turn it off and sleep without noise.
>>
Just grab a plastic bag. Fill it with hot air from the warm area, then run outside quickly and let it free. The warm air you release will be replaced by cold air from the AC.
>>
>>18170528
go to walmart and get an oscillating fan for $18 and put it in the facing the hallway with the intake facing the kitchen.
>>
>>18170467

>What are fans?

I lived inn far hotter places with no air conditions. Fans solved that problem easily.
>>
>>18170467
Use a box fan to blow the air around, or invest in a cheap wimdow unit for just your bedroom, which aren't at all expensive, and you can take it to your next place which opens up options.
>>18170555
I did that when I lived in Morocco for a few months.
>>
>>18171393
It's sad that this kind of comment doesn't get the attention it deserves anymore.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.