[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I overcome depression? Useful activities, books, hobbies,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1373490440816.png (1MB, 919x720px) Image search: [Google]
1373490440816.png
1MB, 919x720px
How do I overcome depression?

Useful activities, books, hobbies, that sort of thing? Or do I just get a shrink?
>>
Try everything

Get a therapist, try medications, up your exercise, have a healthy diet, take meditation seriously

I recommend the following books
- the happiness trap
- the power of now (ignore the spiritual stuff)
>>
>>18169697
Oh, and I'm rooting for you anon :)
>>
2nded on the happiness trap.

I have been on meds for 10+ years and done therapy on and off. To be honest I still deal with depression 99% of the time, but you just gotta keep going. Every once in a while I have a moment of clarity and shit's going pretty damn well. You can fumble through life into great things. I don't think I'll ever stop thinking things are shit but I do have a badass $10k motorcycle. Hard to feel like shit after a ride.
>>
>>18169687
>hobbies
Whatever makes you feel passion. You can try out anything for free. Weightlifting and martial arts kept me going through the roughest patches in my life. I love talking about those hobbies, getting better, getting to know my body and mind through them and deepening my understanding for them.

But the problem for you would probably be to start getting involved in those things and gaining momentum for moving forward. I can't help you on that sadly.
>>
>>18169719
I'm getting into weightlifting and running. Like you said it's hard getting started on things. I can't focus on anything, so it's impossible to keep going.
>>
>>18169731
Sounds kinda dumb, but /fit/ helped me tremendously to keep going. They always reminded me why I lift in the first place, and many dudes there are motivated as fuck. For a beginner it takes 20-30 hours to see a difference in something new they learn. Your body looks a little better from lifting (given you have a solid routine and put in effort into eating well), you gain a better connection from mind to body, your body feels different and naturally your lifts go up. When your cardio goes up from running daily activities feel less tiring, and you feel yourself having more energy. It only gets better and better the more hours you have gone through.

Let's do it for it for zyzz my man, we're gonna make it.
>>
I was spending a lot of my days wracked with several hours of suicidal thoughts. One minor thing would set me off and I'd just feel like shit for hours. I was working a shit job that I hated to make ends meet. I dealt with this for months. I know what I'm passionate about. I know what would make me happy in life.

But I had no energy to do it. Those suicidal bouts just sapped every bit of energy I had. I'm not really a drugs kind of person, but I decided to buy some marijuana because why the fuck not? I live in Colorado. My friends do it. Let's give it a shot.

No bullshit, I probably went from that quiet guy that everybody thought was gonna shoot up the work place to my previous goofy, energetic self that I remember being a year ago. I haven't had a suicidal thought in a week.

Are drugs the answer? No. But they're worth trying if in you're in deep. Hell, anything's worth trying if you're standing on the precipice.
>>
>>18169687
Chess
Play it
>>
Try to indulge yourself a little without going overboard and totally breaking the bank. When you feel like utter shite get yourself out of the house and on a walk and visit a store you like or buy yourself fries and a milkshake. Baby steps all the way, little bouts of physical activity, if you partake in any art, time with friends, good books, movies or game you like, having good wanks, reaching out to a therapist or getting yourself meds never hurts. Also not saying drugs help everyone, but they do give you some interesting experiences and broader insights on the world. If you're spiritual or religious at all, try to reconnect with that.
>>
>>18169687
Get friends. I'm a furfag and I started going to furry meetup groups and talking to other furfags on telegram. Suddenly I'm excited to get out of the house and socialize, and I'm getting invited into people's beds for se-- YIFF pretty regularly.

You're probably not a furfag, but go and find some group of people who have just about the same level of autism as you. I think you'll feel a lot better.
>>
>>18169687
Getting a therapist is definitely an option, and one you should keep in the back of your mind. Maybe meds, but I've never used them.

What I think really helped me was starting to get /fit/. It was mostly a reason to get out of bed for me, but one day someone on /fit/ claimed that was an improvement in itself which really struck me.

I also changed what music I listened to. It was mostly emo and other such sad shit and once that stopped being the majority of what I listen to, I feel that I started to improve.

Recently my friend bought me this and swears by it. I've yet to start so I won't comment on its content, hopefully some other anons can help
>>
>>18169687
Working out is a proven anti-depressent. It's fucking difficult to carry on for the first few weeks, but once you start to see improvements, you won't be able to stop.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.