[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

changing major

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: 1490585413893.gif (675KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1490585413893.gif
675KB, 320x240px
I'm currently a computer science major, I'm mid way through second semester and have down pretty bad
I may be able to scrape by with a pass after dropping some classes and schedule rearranging with some shmoozing but after that I'm not sure if I want to continue

First semester I passed decently and had flying marks in the non programming computer science class I had with a glowing review from the professor

After working with it more I'm not sure I really enjoy programming, I had fun learning concepts and other things in the non programming classes but I really suffer when it comes down to doing it. I'm not really good at it and I don't really like it. Another thing is I'm not really sure I actually want a computer science job after I graduate

My heads mixed up, maybe I just like the idea of being a computer scientist and am trying to push through with things I don't like.

I'm considering changing my major to Chemistry because I remember taking that in highschool and doing college classes in it in duel enrollment and I both excelled and had fun in it
The thing is that would set me back a year as Chemistry is very structured and jumping around/ trying to stack classes to catch up would be rough, I'd have to start from Gen Chem I, and try to get into Physics I Fall 2017 and take chem II and physics II in the spring. Everything else in the program requires these two semesters to already be done.

What do you guys think? Anyone with experience in both majors want to help? Am I just being a bitch?
>>
>>18169184
A computer science-program is supposed to make you sweat a little. It does become better once you've gotten past a certain threshold. I'm not suggesting you don't switch because of this, but just keep it in mind. Also, it's perfectly okay to occasionally doubt your major of choice. It doesn't always mean you should change. However, if you're having doubts to the point where it affects your performance a great deal, switch.
>>
>>18169241
It's either me getting cold feet at the first sign of trouble or actually realizing something about myself and that computer science isn't for me. I'm not sure which it is and that's what causes this indecision for me'

My classmates seem to just get programming in a way that I don't, and enjoy solving problems in it. I don't really get gratification from figuring something out it's more, "Alright now I have to do THIS" as opposed to others who seem genuinely happy and excited when they get a piece of their code working right.

Even if I can muscle through and get this stuff down and let's say I miraculously turn around next semester and can code like no other I'm not sure I really want a job in the CS field
>>
>>18169276
Have you tried suicide?
>>
>>18169276
I see.
I mean, it's your life, you make the call- just make sure you're being reasonable and that you have a good backup-plan. The most important question is: where do you envision yourself going with Chemistry?

>My classmates seem to just get programming in a way that I don't, and enjoy solving problems in it

One thing that may be helpful is to not compare yourself too much to your classmates. It does sound like you find programming or the tasks you are given in it a bit painful, but it might also be temporary.

>Even if I can muscle through and get this stuff down and let's say I miraculously turn around next semester and can code like no other I'm not sure I really want a job in the CS field

Fine, just take your emotional state into consideration. You can end up having different feelings about getting a CS-job if you do find yourself succeeding in it. It could simply be a confidence-issue.
>>
>>18169184
If you can't learn programming your too retarded to be in college
>>
>>18169409
>>18169428

So you're saying it's hopeless?
>>
>>18169409
I have a whole summer to rethink things and calm down , but at the moment I'm seriously thinking chemistry.

Thanks for the advice
>>
>>18169804

it really doesnt matter
>>
It's not hopeless. You can do it
>>
>>18170289
Become a neet
>>
>>18170574
I love neet
>>
I'm gonna say the obvious no one seems to think about: work as a researcher in cs. Theoretical computer science, computer graphics, whatever. Most research is math heavy and more trivial on the implementation side, someone else can do it. Find your niche.
>>
>>18171940
I actually hadn't thought of that, I don't know what the research industry of cs is like or what I can do with a bacc.

I think in the fall I'll do chem physics calc and non programming computer science class (along with a foreign language language)

That way I'll have a foundation for the chem major I'm case cs really isn't for me or I'll just fulfill more cs credit if chem isn't for me . Either way I'll do calc and physics which are probably doesn't hurt for either field.
>>
Chem Major (Final Year) reporting in. At most universities you will have to go through lab work, which is very time consuming but pretty cool.

Computational chemistry was part of my second year and included some cool methods for molecule structure simulations via ab initio quantum mechanical calculations. Might be something to look into. Ask away if you have more questions.

Good luck anon
>>
>>18171991
How are all the basic classes ? Am I overburden myself by taking physics I general Chem I and calculus I along with a foreign language III and cs course?

I've at most done four classes before.

Also I really liked my lab work and did in previous Chem classes ( honors chem in hs, chem for health sciences during duel enrollment)

What can you tell me about computational chem it actually sounds interesting . Haven't heard much about it
>>
>>18172000

I'm at a European university so it might differ slightly from what's in your curriculum.

However the Bachelor is structured into the following classes:

-Inorganic Chemistry (a lot of fundamentals from Gen Chem but also cool stuff like Solid state chem or complex chem)

-Organic Chem (initially very fundamental HS stuff like MO theory but later turns into pretty interesting topics such as total drug synthesis. A lot of learning by heart though.)

-Physical Chemistry (Thermodynamics, Kinetics, Quantum Mechanics and so forth. Very math and physics heavy but at the same time a lot of cool things.)

These are the main branches of chemistry (Analytical chemistry could also technically also count as its own however it's applied heavily in each). Courses outside of chem included: computational chem, basic analysis, LinAlg and statistics in mathematics (However PDEs and so forth are also pretty relevant). Some basic physics and biology were also compulsory for me as well as some chemical engineering.

There's a lot more but I'd say look at it on your own, unless you have more questions.

Computational Chemistry is essentially modelling reaction systems or just the nature of molecules. You need a pretty good background in physical chemistry as well as some coding knowledge. I was told by my informatics prof that basic knowledge of C++ and the things in Phys. chem are sufficient to succeed in that field.

Sorry if this seemed a bit a rushed. Let me know if you got any more questions.
>>
>>18172000
fucking rip
you'll flunk out with that shit
>physics AND calc AND chemistry
>>
>>18172079
FUck off
>>
>>18169804
Just a warning. Chemistry degrees are quite a bit of hard work as well. You'll find that chemistry majors have the life goal of designing new drugs and polymers for big $$$. The field is centered around a fascination in research. I majored in it and I had very little interest in the field. I only did it so that I'd have a firm basis for understanding biochem. Now Im going to med school. By no means do you have to get a job in your degree field. The most important thing is to have SOME degree. That shows you put the time and effort into it and that's what matters.
>>
>>18172079
Dude thats fucking nothing. I had 19 hours of pure chem courses. 4 lectures and 6 labs (one lab was stand-alone and worth 2 hours). Physics, Gen Chem and Calc one are pathetically easy. Thermodynamics and Quantum Mechanics are where it gets tough.
>>
>>18172370
>op is too retarded for programming
>thinks op can even pass gen chem by itself much less while taking all of the other shit
>>
>>18172370
Thanks man. You think I can take 5 classes then those being 3?
>>
>>18169184
Lucky you, my uni's CS program only accepts 1/3 of the students that apply each cycle.
>>
>>18172707
I hate op
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.