[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to study a subject like history?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: HqANoOd.gif (989KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
HqANoOd.gif
989KB, 500x281px
Hi /adv/, how do I study for a test that includes non-math/science subjects? I find studying for math/science easier because I can actually practice it and see the relation between the theory and numbers but what do I do for a subject like history? just writing summaries isn't enough right? I feel completely lost, I also haven't taken a non-science class in years so I don't have an idea on what to do.
>>
>>18167317
>just writing summaries isn't enough right?
Fuck no, try to remember dates as well and try to summarize what happened that day to get the idea.

If you can't still memorize like this way I'm tellin you, the last way to learn is to enjoy it but I don't think you will enjoy this kind of shit since you're a STEM guy.
>>
im assuming that you have a set few topics the exam could be on

remembering dates isnt such a huge issue. i used to just write myself a practice essay on one or two of the topics so id have a set structure and information to use and then twist the information to suit the question once i was in the exam
>>
>>18167317
History has very little to do with dates. It is trends and the reasons for things happening. WW1 started in 194. The historical question is WHY>
>>
>>18167317
Professor writing here.

I originally wrote this response to another OP, so it doesn't all aplly to you. But most of it does

In my experience, when someone works and studies hard and still does badly, they're studying the wrong thing.

High school courses are all about data - the teacher tells you stuff (facts, dates, etc) and then tests you on whether you remember them.

But college classes are all about skills. You can always look up the facts - they want to teach you how to think about the facts like a pro. The point of, say, a history class is to make you think like a historian.

Math is an easy example. The teacher puts a problem on the board and then solves it. YOU WILL NEVER SEE THAT PROBLEM AGAIN. What you will get on a test is another problem of the same sort, to see if you learned the how-to.

In history, you may read all about, say, World War One, and the prof will take class time to show how the various political forces led to the war. On an exam he will ask you to analyse the Economic causes of the war, to see if you can think about the economy the way he showed you how to think about the politics.

In class, focus on the way the prof thinks about the material, not just the answers he comes up with. And in studying, practice using his techniques on new material.
>>
>>18167317
Watch documentaries and read fiction from that period, hell maybe even games and movies depending on the time. (Just be away that there is a lot bullshit) Memory works best with emotion and stories help with that.

Also ask yourself random questions and try to find an answer for them. Generally more thinking outside the box than just reading words.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.