[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Useless interests?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: collapsing.jpg (157KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
collapsing.jpg
157KB, 1920x1080px
I have some useless interests /adv/. Recently I have taken a liking to reading about precious metals and planetary compositions and what not. I love reading about metals and their qualities and the composition of planets.

However, these interests are.. useless. They don't help with anything practical. Knowing that iron rusts in these environmental conditions is worthless. Knowing the ductility of copper is useless. All these facts are useless.

Then you take something like "Knowing about cars" You can actually put that to use!

What the fuck can I do with knowing about metals and the kind of metals one might find on mars or some shit?

A lot of my interests are like that. Interesting, but worthless. This in turn leads me to feeling very stupid because when people ask me "What can you do?" and I have no real answer. Its depressing almost that all this knowledge I can read about is so useless.

Help me understand. I envy people with good practical and effective interests.
>>
>>18167151
if you really are interested in this shit then go to school for it. you can find a job in academia
>>
>>18167203

I could go to school for it but that would just lead to joblessness. No one would be looking for someone who knows about rocks..
>>
>>18167222
youre wrong. my guess is that you arent actually interested in the subject enough to rigorously study it for 5-6 years. its just a passing interest for you that youll forget in a few months, like all your other interests
>>
>>18167280
Possibly, then what are my other options? Why is it that my interests fade so quickly?
>>
File: 1487887048099.jpg (115KB, 700x900px) Image search: [Google]
1487887048099.jpg
115KB, 700x900px
>>18167151
Anon, you're a fucking retard, has someone ever told you this?

You're Chemistry material (no pun) my man, it's not useless to know this kind of things.
Instead, try to read more and more about it, if you were good with Chemistry at your high school, you should be able to get into university Chemistry and use that "useless" knowledge to use into some private labs or do some great research.
Who knows if you could be the man that gave humanity the ability to travel faster in space with some new chemical composition you made, Anon!

Please don't ever think of losing this great interest that you have in you, so read the /sci/'s wiki about Chemistry if you're interested, or get into college to get a degree if it's better for you, but you can still can be self taught.

>https://sites.google.com/site/scienceandmathguide/subjects/chemistry

Nothing is useless if you really love it, Anon.
Pic related as well.

Have a good night.
>>
>>18167670
this guy has a point.

I don't know where you are in life, but you have a few options.

If you feel like going the academic route, you could study chemistry, geochemistry, materials science, something like that. If you do, it might be worth looking into community college and transferring your credits to a legit institution as much as possible. Also, if you know a lot about rocks going in, you could probably test out of classes and finish early, paying less.

Another option might be finding some job that involves rocks. One of my roommates (studying chemistry, probably going to end up as a geochemist or some shit) had a summer job doing something along the lines of sediment analysis. Depending on where you live there are also a decent number of manual labor sort of jobs working with rocks (please don't be a coal miner though), and knowing a lot about the rocks you are dealing with could conceivably help you work your way up the ranks.

Waaaayyy out there, but since you mention an interest on some astro stuff, a buddy of min who is in business keeps memeing me trying to get me to go into asteroid mining.

Most importantly, I bet knowing shit about rocks would totally get some girls to be into you. It's better than the pacman line in scott pilgrim.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.