[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daddy issues

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1463309151812.jpg (1MB, 2270x2915px) Image search: [Google]
1463309151812.jpg
1MB, 2270x2915px
I had an argument with my dad.

He lost two of his best friends (heart attack and suicide), lost his mother to Alzheimer, had cancer.
He closed off completely and he spends 90% of his free time on facebook. I am not even exaggerating: whenever he's not working (and sometimes even when he's working), he's on his phone.
He won't do anything with us, won't leave his phone even for dinner, and starts looking at his smartphone halfway through the conversation.
We used to have a great relationship, we share a ton of hobbies, used to go out together, travel and do everything together but now we barely talk.

Last night I was talking to him about school and he interrupted me because he read a fun post on facebook.
I lost my shit and left. When he called me to apologise (probably because my mom told him to), I told him that unless he goes to therapy I won't talk to him anymore.

Did I exaggerate? Am I being a piece of shit?
>>
>>18165856
k thx.
>>
>>18165848
Sending your parents to therapy is very strange move for a teen.

Try to talk to him about it. But do not expect that your dad will ever respect or even reconsider your input / opinion. You are his stupid small kid for the rest of life anyway.
>>
>>18165848
Yes
>>
>>18165912
I am 24. I am in med school.
I talked to him a thousand times, asked him kindly to stop using the phone at the table, asked him to do something with us (me and my mom go hiking, take classes together, travel, cook, do everything together), asked him to not use the phone while he's driving, told him we're not spending time together, etc.

What else should I do?

I honestly understand why he does this, but it has been 3 years since the last time we had a conversation.
We went on a trip together, he was on his phone the whole time and whenever he interacted with me it was to ask me to take a pic of him for facebook. It's honestly a bit frustrating.
>>
>>18165965
It doesnt matter if you have higher education or that you arent little baby anymore.

For your parents you will always be their kid with no experience at all. Besides holding phone for too long will maybe give him carpan tunnel syndrome, but it is still better than lets say alcohol.

And if you feel you need his attention, use his facebook against him. Add him and chat him up via fb. That can make some reaction.

Anyway your dad is fine and you nees to start worrying about your life instead of your dad.

And first step to cure addiction is to admit you are addicted. And nobody but your dad can make that step. But again being addicted to fb is not that bad.

Godspeed med anon student. I hope you will be as caring doc as you care about your dad well being.
>>
>>18165992
Of course he's not doing hard drugs or alcohol, but he is isolating himself completely - lost friends, he is ruining his marriage and his relationship with me because he can't get off that fucking phone.

I deleted facebook 3 years ago.
>>
>>18166037
I have a feelings you are ignoring parts of my posts which arent affirmative to your view.

>ruining his marriage
That is not for you to decide.

I guess you can try to set up new account only if to spook your dad.
>>
>>18166059
I am not - what did I ignore?

>I guess you can try to set up new account only if to spook your dad.
I don't honestly have time to spend time on facebook chatting with my dad. I drive to see them 4+ times a week because the last few years were really hard for us all and it eats up most of my free time.

I might do it, but honestly it feels like a waste of time.
>>
I never get to live with my dad he is married with someone else and left me when I was a child. All I ever wanted was to hug him. Dont do something you might regret, dont be too impulsive. cherish your dad, some people out there is wishing to have one. love him.
>>
>>18166067
>time to spend
Yet you have time to talk to me :-)
>last few years were really hard for us all
I will try to guess: you still have some issues and are angry at your dad because he isnt looking to be concerned at all by it. For some bizzare reason you blame your dad for not giving you enough attention.

Are you sure your problem is just your dad ignoring life around him? Isnt this a little more deep?
>>
>>18166059
>ruining his marriage
>the son that is the byproduct of a relationship is incapable of assessing said relationship's health
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>18166082
He doesn't even talk to me, I haven't hugged him or even had a conversation with him in months because whenever I'm there he's in front of the phone.
Last night I walked in and he didn't even say hi, I asked him to come at the dinner table and he complained. He sat down, I was talking to my mom about school and shit and he interrupted me to tell us about some meme he read on facebook.

>>18166086
>I will try to guess: you still have some issues and are angry at your dad because he isnt looking to be concerned at all by it.
The guy who killed himself was basically an adoptive son for my parents and a brother for me - when he killed himself, we have all felt like shit.
I personally took care of my grandma and my dad for 2 years, dropped out of school to do so. I moved out after my grandma died and my dad started feeling good, but still visit 4 times a week or more.

>For some bizzare reason you blame your dad for not giving you enough attention.
No. There is no "bizarre" reason.
I spend all my free time with my parents and my dad doesn't even look at me when I talk to him.
I blame my dad for not giving me enough attention because he has to write posts about family values and shit on facebook, while he doesn't look at my face when I'm sitting in front of him.

>Are you sure your problem is just your dad ignoring life around him? Isnt this a little more deep?
I obviously take it personally, too.
>>
>>18166137
Maybe you remind him of painful memories. Maybe he blames you for your bro suicide. Maybe he is afraid of showing his emotions to you. After all parents are supposted to be there for their children, not the other way around.

But again, what do you think your dad could tell you to make you feel happy? What keeps you returning to him even he clearly shows he is not interested in you?

Clearly you are in no position to force him to change. My shit advice for you is to move on with your life and dont be hard on your dad. Maybe in time he will get in touch with you again.

Suicide of close one can be truly blow. I would personally felt like i failed as a person if my close friend or relative did what your bro did.
>>
>>18166177
>what do you think your dad could tell you to make you feel happy? What keeps you returning to him even he clearly shows he is not interested in you?
Nothing, really. I don't expect him to say anything, just to interact with me when I visit. Whatever he has to say, it's better than not saying shit at all.
I go there for my mom, she misses me a lot and feels very lonely because my dad doesn't talk to her or do anything with her.

>I would personally felt like i failed as a person if my close friend or relative did what your bro did.
I did feel like shit, and felt really guilty about it. But can't do much about it now.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.