[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As a male, what do I have to gain by reading Feminist literature?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_5838.png (146KB, 2000x3235px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5838.png
146KB, 2000x3235px
I have a history of dating and sexual relationships with women- but I want to take my understanding of "the game" to the next level.

I've read the laws of power, meditations, those meme "becoming a man" books or whatever, but I want to venture a different path. I want to read and understand what all those gender studies/feminist women are reading so I can understand their perspective and gain knowledge and social power. I want to dive into feminist literature- everything regarding the "sexual revolution" and gender norms so I can truly understand what goes on in a feminist's head.

I've sifted through enough "feminists are just bitter sluts with daddy issues" quips- I want to read and understand this shit for myself- and then make the judgement call.

Is this academic venture worth pursuing - as a straight male? "Know thy enemy (not really an enemy but you get the point" what type of knowledge gems will I gain from this?
>>
>>18165599
>what type of knowledge gems will I gain from this?

The same kind of knowledge that you gain from doing anything outside of your personal experience: a wider world view.

Yes, you should dive in because there's nothing to lose by educating yourself and at the end of the day you can be more objective if you understand both sides of an issue. Even just having an interest in the books is enough to read them.

It's like asking "why would I read about the holocaust if I'm not jewish/german/from that time period?"
>>
You need to learn your opponent's arguments as they debate them if you want to learn how to refute their points. You can't get around this. If you don't spend the time learning, they'll just claim you're misinterpreting them. And to be fair, if you haven't even read them, they're probably right.

Know thy enemy is one half of the full quote. The full quote is "If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."

You must learn your viewpoints in relation to their viewpoints, and you must learn how to argue them persuasively in the face of their arguments. The only way to do this is by studying their arguments. I know, I know, it's shit. I know, it's >studying feminist literature

But there's nothing to be done. If you want to convince someone, you have to get into their mindset. You have to read what they read, or your words will be wasted and dismissed out of hand as humans are so wont to do.
>>
I love how you have to go on an "academic venture" to understand that which is easily accessible with a basic sense of empathy.
>>
>the game
Stopped reading there, enough of this pua nonsense
>>
Dunno if I can provide very useful advice, but The Yellow Wallpaper was just a plain good story which is apparently also considered feminist literature. I have a list of other popular examples, mostly older ones, if you like, but I haven't read much of them.
>>
>>18165705
Modern progressive movements advocate empathy without understanding in lieu of actual raising understanding so that their sought after empathy actually means something.

This is their problem. Instead of actually fixing issues, they shove problems in a box, call everyone that questions the box a ___ist, and are surprised when the box turned out to be a pressure cooker.

Posts like yours are the reason why things are going backwards.
>>
>>18165661
Man, I love when posts like this pop up on 4chan. So unexpected.
>>
>>18165927
Empathy by definition is understanding.

The reason things are going backwards is because of cynical attitudes like the OP's. He doesn't actually care about anything deeper than how he can use the knowledge to manipulate other people or benefit himself.
>>
>>18165927

To be fair to Anon, you are way too selfcentered. I mean, by feading your OP, it's clearr that you put a very big distance between women and you.

Reading feminist stuff won't make you better at "the game". If you walk in with your current attitude, you'll be very disappointed.
>>
>>18165932
Are you new or something?
>>
>>18165942
>He doesn't actually care about anything deeper than how he can use the knowledge to manipulate other people or benefit himself.

I'm going to assert that at some level- everyone is like this. Doing things out of the good of your heart is a myth. Religious people do "good deeds" to save their ass from going to hell, people volunteer to wash the sin of raping a puppy off their souls- or to have something "empathetic" to write about on their grad school application. Everyone has an ulterior motive- some people are just more honest with themselves about it than others.
>>
>>18165952
>I'm going to assert that at some level- everyone is like this
Of course you are.
>>
>>18165955
Are you denying that when push comes to shove people will put their own self-interests first?
>>
>>18165960
I'm dismissing your assertion because it's a) unsubstantiated, b) I knew it was coming and c) I don't really give much of a fuck about your opinion.
>>
>>18165952

I'm a complete atheist, I think religion is a myth and a lie, and I still can care about people, you know?

Don't generalize, we aren't all pricks like you. Some of us are decent people just because.
>>
>>18165960
>people will put their own self-interests first
and
>Doing things out of the good of your heart is a myth

are not the same thing. You can care for yourself while still being empathetic of others. Life isn't a black and white dichotomy where you're either looking out for yourself or helping others.
>>
>>18165962
>I don't care about your post so let me post to tell you how much I care

>>18165963
Many "atheists" just stop going to church and still internalize judeo-Christian morals and market themselves as "just good people". If you truly separated from an abrahamic belief system you'd be more likely to have a moral compass that is completely fucking different than some christfag

Gtfo
>>
>>18165974

How do you know my "caring" is Judeo-Christian? Are you a mind reader?

Also, why would it make it less valid? If I actually help people with no expectation of reward, then I do, right? YOu said everyone has an angle, but that's just a lie you tell yourself to justify using people.
>>
>>18165993
>Also, why would it make it less valid?
It makes it less valid because you stated you were a "complete atheist". Religious morals are all around us in western society so you still have a cultural fear of sin programmed into you. You think you are doing things out of the good of your heart but you don't want to burn in hell or worse, pat yourself on the back and stroke your ego and give yourself a moral boner cause you fed soup to a crackhead.
>>
>>18166019
>cause you fed soup to a crackhead.

I don't do that. Being nice doesn't mean working at a food shelter and shit. Just be a nice person to those around you. It's not that hard.

I don't do volunteer work or anything like that. I'm just there if someone needs a hand. Do you really think you need to go out of your way to help people? Look around your life dude, someone there needs help, and you can do a little bit to help them. It's not that hard. It's called "empathy".
>>
>>18165974
Sorry faggot, not my fault the "but everyone is as narcissistic and sociopathic as I am" argument is as predictable as clockwork and unconvincing as fuck.
>>
>>18166056
Go take a nap.
>>
>>18165947
I'm not OP.

>>18165942

I think you all took me for a /pol/fag.

Empathy is not understanding. There's a difference between saying "I know that feel" and actually knowing that feel.

There are feels that are hard to understand, or not directly possible to understand. I can't know what it's like to be called a nigger, then again I can't expect people to know what a real ADHD diagnosis is like.

But what is important is that progressives encourage people to COME to that understanding, that they encourage people to try to walk in someone's shoes and not go out of their way to ridicule the problems these people might have while they do it.

It's when the concepts of privilege checking enforce this idea that you can't even awkwardly waddle around in someone's shoes, that you have to show solidarity at risk of getting ganged up on in social media.

That empathising from a position of ignorance is good enough, even if they never went and actually talked with anybody.

With the way progressives gang up on people and tell them how much their personal problems matter, it's wonder that alot of people choose to called a bigot out of sheer spite.

I realize I'm rambling here but the point I'm trying to make is that the path of trying to condecend the bigotry out of people that you see nowadays isn't sustainable.

It's how you get people like OP.
>>
>>18166144
>Empathy is not understanding
Yeah, it is
>>
>>18166144
>It's how you get people like OP.

Not really. OP is trying to game the system and he flat-out admitted he doesn't believe one can really care about other people. OP isn't being being bullied into showing empathy. He wants to "win" at the "game". He is resorting to feminism because his previous attempts all failed miserably and he is running out of ideas.
>>
>>18166158
>He is resorting to feminism because his previous attempts all failed miserably and he is running out of ideas.

Less resorting to feminism (lol fuck no) but more of reading the literature and becoming intimate with the ideas taught to women so I can better manipulate my way into their heads and vaginas. I have success now but there's always room for improvement :)
>>
>>18166164
>I have success now

;P
>>
>>18166158
And I'm sure the crazy fuck wanted to do it the right way at some point, but the right way failed him. So he fell for bullshit.

The only thing that can bring him out of it is a life experience and you can't force that.

>>18166155
Aight you semantically fuck. I'm arguing that the only thing that can open up people who've shut off their valve of empathy, or willingness to try understand, is compassion. Not picking at their ego and making them put up biggest walls.

So he mindfucks a few feminists, uses people, hurts people.

The only way this person will change is if , when he finds the one person cares about, and loses them, then it will be all on him.
>>
>>18166199
>The only way this person will change is if , when he finds the one person cares about, and loses them, then it will be all on him.

Already happened mate. I'm a husk of my former self and now I exist solely to make others feel my pain.
>>
>>18166199
You're confusing empathy with sympathy. Empathy isn't a feeling, it's a skill. OP lacks it. It's like that thing that tells you that now is not a good time to ask your parents if you can stop at Blockbuster on the way home because they're in a pissed off mood because your brother just got suspended from school. If you're an aspiring sociopath like OP, it's an essential tool of manipulation. OP doesn't have it so he is trying to learn it from books. And I find that amusing and kind of pathetic. My comment had nothing to do with compassion or trying to change people.
>>
File: sigmundfreudangry746x488.jpg (58KB, 746x488px) Image search: [Google]
sigmundfreudangry746x488.jpg
58KB, 746x488px
>>18166215

You know what you're doing, you know that it's wrong, but you wish to do it anyway.

You hurt others in the hope that the backlash will hurt you even more. So that you can prove to yourself that being heartless is your nature.

All you're doing is digging a hole anon.
>>
>>18165599
I'm an academic, and an English major. What are your goals, Anon?
>>
>>18165704
Utter nonsense.
>>
>>18165927
But why not start with empathy?
>>
>>18165960
No, he's right faggot, take that shit out of here
>>
>>18166249
To mindfuck feminists and fuck with their heads. I want to study their ways so I can mask my intentions better- women are good at sniffing shit like this out so I have to be stealthy.
>>
>>18166281
In that case this will be meaningless to you in a couple years so don't waste your time.
>>
File: 1459372909205.jpg (59KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1459372909205.jpg
59KB, 640x640px
OP do you seriously think any woman who would identify as a feminist or agree with that ideology is only that way because they literally learned it from books?

You are way, way too fucking stupid to be successful in this endeavor you have chosen. Give up lmao
>>
>>18166291
>OP do you seriously think any woman who would identify as a feminist or agree with that ideology is only that way because they literally learned it from books?

No but I can play to their emotional triggers and speak their language

Create a dynamic where I speak their feminist language while also fucking with them the way their fathers did to achieve maximum damage
>>
>>18166262
Because the push nowadays is for public solidarity, not for actual empathy, not to relate the suffering one has experienced to that of another.

It's not about how similar my problems are to another person, such that I can feel for them, it's about how I have privilege and my problems are automatically nothing to complain about, so I should just feel better about myself.

You use a personal example, If im going through some tough shit, like some death in the family cancer shit, I don't necessarily want to hear how much worse things could be if my family was black. Even if I am better off, it's not going to convince me the people who espouse empathy actually practice it.
>>
>>18166308
If you want to learn their feminist language, I suggest browsing some tags on tumblr to get a real feel for the culture. Especially if you're aiming at younger women. A lot of the people you seem to want to learn about aren't reading real books as much as clickbait articles.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.