[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Too scared to ask /fit/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1.jpg (211KB, 900x602px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
211KB, 900x602px
I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to weight training, but I understand that many of the best and most effective exercises (squats, bench press etc.) require a spotter. In a normal gym setting, what is the standard way to find someone to spot for you? Asking strangers every time seems like leeching (though it might be normal; I don't know), so should I bring a friend? I'm not looking for a personal trainer, but if it's highly recommended, I'll consider it.
>>
>>18158838
I'm /fit/. Only bench really uses a spotter, but you don't need one. Just be careful you don't overload. If you fail, bring it slowly to your chest and then roll the bar down your body.
>>
The simple answer is to just not let yourself come anywhere near failing.

If you're not ON TRACK RIGHT NOW towards becoming a competitive athlete, then perish all thought of lifting at a competitive level. Just make yourself tired then quit, consider using pairs of dumbbells rather than a bar and plates. If you're in an actual gym then you can probably find a pair of dumbs that add up to your own bodyweight unless your body is a gelatinous spheroid.

>inb4 some crybaby roleplayer pretends to be he-man
>>
>>18158838
>so should I bring a friend?
If you can, why not?
>>
If you need a spotter yeah, just ask some random guy to do it, people are glad to help. It's normal.

You don't need a spotter for most exercises. Bench press is the only exercise you really need it for, but as a beginner you shouldn't use that much weight/do that many reps that you can't do the last reps alone. As a beginner you're supposed to learn proper form, not "push your limits". That being said having someone who knows what to do around is a huge help, learning proper form by yourself will take a while and you may end up hurting yourself or forming bad habits. It's amazing how many people can't squat or deadlift properly.

A personal trainer is actually really useful for beginners, there's too many people who do some thing or another wrong and it can lead up fucking with their posture, causing injuries, progressing very slowly etc. If you don't have the money going with a friend who lifts for some time can work too, but it's likely that he doesn't know his shit very well either. Either way be sure you know what the proper form for the exercises you're doing is and focus on it. Again, don't start out with heavy weights. If you've never lifted before you should start all major exercises with an empty bar.
>>
>>18158848
Anything you can do with a bar can be done with barbells just as effectively if not more, with the added benefit of being able to train asymmetrically. Opie, listen to this guy.
>>
From powerlifting environment here. First get a mate or a personal trainer to show you the ropes. Benching, squatting or deadlifting with a wrong posture fucks you up and makes you look like a retard. One you know, you barely need a spotter. For benchpressinf it's most important but only when you know you're doing a significantly maxed out set. And even then don't secure your disks so you can tilt them to one side. When you're maxing, simply tap a guy who looks what he's doing on the shoulder and ask. Gym bro's do that. But if you're eventually getting real serious you'll even want a fucking fab spotter because you'll want to kick the guy in the shins who helped you along too early (manly winkyface)
>>
If you can bring a friend ,do it. (Make sure you actually work out though,and not just fuck around for 1 hour)
If you can't, just ask someone,they'll be glad to help (and will most likely ask you to return the favor). If you do that,ask them for advice too
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.