[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where to start engineering?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: shrug.jpg (23KB, 500x310px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
23KB, 500x310px
I'm nine months out of undergrad and I still haven't landed an entry level job in engineering. I got my BSME back in June and I passed the FE exam earlier this month, so from what I can tell I am effectively qualified to apply for EIT certification in just about any state in the union except California. I submitted an application for EIT certification in my home state of Washington, but entry level work seems hard to find in the Seattle area where I'm living right now.

Anyone know of any good places to look for engineering work in the United States? I have family and friends in Washington, Illinois, Texas, and Missouri, which might make the move easier, but otherwise I'm willing to relocate. Otherwise if you know of work or types of jobs to get in the meantime, I'm down for recommendations.
>>
Tell us about your work experience, research experience, and extracurriculars.
>>
>>18157171
>No prior internship experience
>No research experience
>Extracurriculars were mostly band related
When I went to the office of career development a year ago to talk about my lack of experience, I was told to emphasize my engineering project experience from my coursework. I obviously haven't done a large scale project before, but I have done an injection mold design project, a gear train design project, a motor control project using programmable microcontrollers, and some stress analysis work. The CAD I used was Siemens NX, which it seems like everyone's asking for AutoCAD or Solidworks, but unfortunately I don't have much experience in either of those.

I'd like to get into design engineering, though I don't really have an idea of what I'd like to design.
>>
>>18157192
Do you have ANY work experience? If not, what in the world were you doing while you were at school? And are you working now? You're not going to get a job anywhere if you don't have anything to offer except a degree.
>>
>>18157204
If we're talking about past work experience, the only real experience I have is my current part time job at Kohl's. I joined as a seasonal hire and was kept on as a regular hire, and I even was acknowledged as an employee of the month for February. At the very least, this much can hopefully vouch for my work ethic, but I have yet to ask any of my coworkers to be my references.
>>
>>18157210
Then use it. You have nothing else, and it can't hurt. The whole "only put relevant work experience on your resume" is terrible advice for people trying to get entry-level jobs.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.