[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quitting my job after 7 years

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

So, /adv/, I guess I just need a little help and assurance. After 7 years of being with this company (family owned retail) I have decided to quit. Over the past 6 months this job has been nothing but a source of stress and it has began to effect my personal life and relationships outside of work. With that being said I decided it was time for a change. My boss has a strict "no lame duck" policy, as in if he found out I was looking for another job or thinking about quitting then I'd already be fired. So I've just been placating him, and as far as he knows I still enjoy my job. I'm in a managerial position and I know my quitting will be a huge inconvenience for him and that he will be super pissed. So here's where you guys come in. What is the best way to handle the situation? Has anyone else ever been in the same boat before?

Pic semi related. How my job makes me feel.
>>
Sort of, 4 years and counting at my current job. It's incredibly stressful and is negatively affecting my health but I'm just not sure when I'm going to pull the plug. Part of me says that this is going to be the same case everywhere, and that I should at least stay here where I get paid decently instead of dealing with the same shit elsewhere for lower pay, the other part just wants nothing to do with this current place anymore.

Don't really know what to say though, it's very easy to say "just quit and find a new job" but there's no guarantee that any new job will be less stressful. Just if you do decide to quit, make sure your finances are okay and you can handle being unemployed in the interim while you find a new job.
>>
are you going to have an exit interview? best time to express what you think of the job.
>>
>>18155952
Just a job bro.

Your life, not theirs. Give notice, and leave it at that. This is a process that has a standard operating procedure that is standard etiquette for everyone in the states.

Let your boss know, give him a day you'll resign ~two weeks ahead of current point, and do it.

Or be a bitch and get yourself fired so you can draw unemployment for awhile.

Or just quit without notice and waste 7 years of employment history because of a bad finish.

Or suck it up and work there for the rest of your life until you're able to retire.

I usually try to get fired around the 1.5 year mark or so.

I've been with my company for about three years now, and am planning on quitting once I start my CDL training. I've just been saving money until then, and hoping they fire me for dem benefits.
>>
>>18155952
Just have another job lined up so this guy can't shit-talk you before you're re-employed
>>
>>18155971
Oh I've already got a new job lined up that I'm sure will be less stressful. My best friend's mom is an event planner at one of the nicer hotels in town so I'd be working for her helping set up and working events. It will be a pay cut but I'll also have time to pick up another small job to help make up for it. I've also been saving like crazy so I've got a cushion if things head south.
>>18155975
No exit interview. Probably just my boss bitching at me over the phone.
>>18155981
You're right. It is just a job and it is my life. I've put in 7 years and have done things that were beyond the call of duty (long hours, cancelling important plans because of work, etc.). I know that I don't owe them anything, but the thought of having that conversation is stressing me out almost as much as the job does.
>>
>>18156025
the conversation wont even be that bad.

Just write out a polite little note that expresses your judgement in short, and date it.

The most you'll hear out of your boss is probably something along the lines of "so, you're serious about this, huh?" and maybe a follow up pitch offering you some different benefits to try and keep you on board, i.e. less work load, more money
>>
>>18156025
Use any vacation time if you have any. And if your boss gets angry and fires you when you put in your 2 weeks, you are then able to draw unemployment benefits.
>>
>>18156025
ask for a proper if not formal exit interview. it emphasis on your professionalism and shows sincerity for his business. its the best way to avoid his undeserved bitching.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.