[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SI base units why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: SI_base_units.png (102KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
SI_base_units.png
102KB, 1024x1024px
Why is "kilogram" a base unit of SI? Why isn't it gram?

Supposedly gram is defined as kilogram*10^-3 but how does the prefix naming work then? It ruins regularity. Shouldn't I then call kilogram*10^3 a "kilokilogram"? Or kilogram*10^-3 a "milikilogram"? Of course I'd say gram instead for the latter but then what would you call other measurements that fall on non-gram notations?
What kind of monster would do this?
>>
>>18150145
Gram is the base unit, that's why it has no prefix
>>
>>18150145
Kilogram is the base unit because of how the kilogram is defined. There is literally a cylinder in a jar that weighs exactly one kilogram. There is no such gram cylinder.
>>
>>18150148
Yes that is what I assumed and it was for a time. But by present-day SI base units, kilogram is the base unit, they changed it. This is what I'm asking about, it fucks up the prefix thing because the base already has a prefix and gram is defined as kilogram*10^-3.

>>18150156
Gram was defined in it's own way too. They decided to change it and swap it for a kilogram as the base. I'm wondering why they did this and why they didn't change the name of the base so that the new base fits the prefix system properly. Shit they could have just used gram as a name, then gram today would have the name it's supposed to have: milligram.
>>
>>18150214
How was the gram defined before it was 1/1000 of the kg cylinder? To my knowledge it wasn't.
>>
because 1kg is defined as the weight of 1 liter (10cm3) water at room temperature, gram is only defined as a thousands kg

1000kg can also be called 1 ton, or theoretically megagram, because of the SI prefixes:
ยต /1000000
micro /1000
centi 100
kilo 1000
mega 1000000
Giga 1000000000
etc.
>>
>>18150145
Out of all the ones to complain about you chose the kilogram

>not complaining about amps
>>
>>18150263
Nah, the kg is not not defined via volume. The density of water is 0.997044 g/mL at 25.0000 degrees C.

The kg cylinder is what scientists define the kg by.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.