[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alcohol Programs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: booze-keys.jpg (46KB, 550x334px) Image search: [Google]
booze-keys.jpg
46KB, 550x334px
Does anyone here have a recommended alcohol recovery program that ISN'T AA?

I'm two weeks sober by myself at the moment - and I went to AA a couple of years back, and it REALLY didn't resonate with me. I'd love to have some kind of support group of like minded people. I don't know if I'm quitting forever, but I'd love to have a group of people to talk to that aren't just sharing rock bottom stories, but are sharing strategies to cope with stress, operate in work functions where booze is prevalent and the main activity (my job VERY frequently encourages drinking, like more than once a week), or even just how you keep yourself busy and deal with friends that are still heavy drinkers.

Anyone have anything that's worked for them or someone they know?
>>
Sounds like you should still try AA just new locations or times
>>
>>18149943

AA does not work for me because of the religious aspect and the fact that most people treat alcohol like a disease. It does not help me remove alcohol from my life to put it in someone else's hands, in this case, a "higher power," that I don't believe in.

It is up to me to not pick up the bottle, to not take a sip. I can't "accidentally" drink alcohol.

Please do not try to convince me to join AA. I'm trying to find something that works.
>>
>>18149936
AA is the last house on the block, and it always has been. You're encouraged to have no other hope before trying it out, and some even recommend you go out and try to control your drinking again if you have doubts to really find out if you you fit their definition of an alcoholic--powerless over alcohol and your life completely unmanageable.

So yeah, you can find detoxes and sober living houses and outpatient programs, hopefully they'll work. Ask your insurance provider, many of them cover treatment options. Try not to die in a drunk driving accident or get a DUI in the meantime, and if you got nowhere else to turn, AA will welcome you with no judgement.

>AA fag with 3 years sober
>>
>>18149981

Thanks. This is definitely a good lowdown on how I feel, and why I didn't like AA - I definitely don't feel powerless, as shown by the fact I've gone two weeks without a drink. Everyone in the program seems to have crashed their car, gotten a DUI, been in trouble with or lost their job, hit their wife... I just know that drinking more than 10 drinks a day is going to catch up to me like my friends who insist they're just having fun (they're 30 and need to be in AA and HAVE hit rock bottom).

I don't really need a sober living house, or a detox at this point. My body is fine. The cravings are there, but I can manage them.

I just wanna talk with some sane people who know what it's like to crave booze as much as I do.
>>
>>18149995
Well, people is AA will certainly know exactly how you feel. They've just taken it all to its logical conclusion, that's all.
>>
>>18150004

The thing is, they don't know how I feel. I don't know how they feel. I haven't done anything under the influence (outside of your standard stupid decisions, throwing up after too much, or making myself look silly) like they have. I'm trying to get off this ride before it crashes.

So when some guy who waited until his third DUI asks to be my sponsor, it doesn't help. I had a dude tell me a graphic story about how he got raped up the ass as a child, and that's why he's an alcoholic, then tell me it was okay to cry with him. Just two examples.

All of that just fires up my "time to get the fuck out of here" instinct.
>>
>>18149936
Talk to a therapist about something like moderation therapy. I can't remember what it's called exactly (I've been out of psychology for a while now), but it's about managing alcohol or substance use and getting your life on track, since for some, abstinence is an unrealistic or even stupid goal, or AA's mechanism, replacing alcohol with God and AA, just doesn't work.
>>
>>18150017
I was addicted to heroin and i didnt quit til everyone had given up on me. I had heard people say things like maybe you're "once and done" or "you havnt fucked up enough"
I replaced heroin with alcohol and havnt quit yet. Prior to even having a problem with alcohol people told horror stories about seizures when quitting so ive been afraid to stop for even a day. I imagine for me itll be easy once I finally stop knowing I am healthy.

I never tried AA, but was at NA and in patient rehab and kicked out of out patient rehab and can relate to not relating to anyone at these programs. For heroin I know it all came down to me and just stopped. Hope I can repeat it with alcohol.
>>
>>18150068

I've stupidly gone cold turkey many times in my life (been drinking for 13 years, have gone cold turkey maybe 5 times for a couple of months). It's never affected me, but I've been lucky. Especially if you've had other addiction issues in the past. If you're going to quit without help, at least taper, don't do what I did.

With luck, this is the last time I do it.

I have a friend who spiked to my level of drinking for just three years, tried to go cold turkey after a major issue, and ended up having a seizure and spending three days in the hospital. It really can happen.
>>
>>18150085
Ive been trying to taper since last summer, but there is no consistency in effort.
I have to decide once a week around the weekend whether to start my week different.
>>
>>18150068
Depending on how much you drink, quitting cold turkey can outright kill you (Heroin can do the same thing, actually).

Look into that moderation therapy stuff I suggested to OP. You can live a normal life and have a normal relationship with drugs and alcohol. All use doesn't have to be abuse.
>>
>>18149936
just drink. who cares? pick up smoking while you're at it. it makes being drunk more fun.
>>
Bumping for the evening crowd.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.