[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need help with computer shutting down during GPU stress

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 1481623351276.jpg (20KB, 480x300px) Image search: [Google]
1481623351276.jpg
20KB, 480x300px
Dear /adv/,

I come to you in an hour of great need.
Due to some minor bugs in my system i decided to format my ssd and reimage the computer.
I used the same image that has been running stable on it since I built the computer 18 months ago.

I've set up win7 64bit, gotten all drivers for Intel processor and Nvidia GPU, USBs etc. and all components are working fine.
Windows gives its performance 7,8 (7,9 on all but processor) and I'm fully able to run any game on full graphics.
My ISSUE comes after pushing the GPU for anything from 1 to 15 minutes, specially ingame.
I've monitored what happens to it and it starts off great from about 35 degrees celsius idle.
Then gets 95% power (about 135 watts) and increasing degrees to 83 celsius and stays stable there.
After minutes, computer just shuts down. No BSOD, no events telling me anything but "unexpected shutdown" every time.

I've tried reformating and setting up everything again, taking the computer apart and blowing out dust,
made sure all drivers are the latest, reinstalled programs. I've gotten a new PSU I'm gonna try tonight, but I doubt that's the issue.
Has anyone heard of issues like this? And maybe heard of a solution?

My specs are
Intel i7 5820-k (unclocked) w. corsair h60 hydro cooling
MSI x99s plus (gaming motherboard)
4x8 DDR4 from crucial at 2133 mhz
MSI GeForce 980 4gb
Crucial BX100 250gb ssd
Seagate desktop SSHD 1TB
PSU is Cooler Master G750M 750watt

Please help guys, any advise is appreciated
>>
>Need help with computer shutting down during GPU stress
You need more cooling; I ain't reading the rest of that shit.

>inb4 OP gets a CPU cooler for his GPU
Hint: get a better case.
>>
>>18146428
> You need more cooling; I ain't reading the rest of that shit.

Thanks, if you had read on you'd see that I have monitored the GPU and it is not going past 83 degrees. and it's not shutting down when it gets there, it takes like 5 minutes. Max for the card is 98 degrees.
>>
>>18146424
Everything worked dandy before the reinstall. Nownit isnt?

Its clearly a driver's issue.
The issue may be happening due to the img you made with its old drivers and windows automatic driver updates. You may even have some double install or even a corrupted over write.

Dont to a reimgage. Reformat your drive and perform a fresh install from CD.

If you dont have it, then pirate windows 10 (its 2017. Upgrade kiddo) and burn to disc or flashdrive.

Dont use your old image. The problem likely lies there.

After a absolute fresh install along with all drivers from their offical websites, download steam again and test out GPU and see if the the system crashes to turn off again. If no issues then enjoy. Recover all your old libraries from scratch kiddo. A small price to pay for no more crashes.

im almost certain this will fix the issue but *IF* THE problem persists after a clean install, then its very obvious a hardware problem. So then you know where the problem is and you can go from there.

But first you need to eliminate either software/hardware from being the problem before
>>
File: 1479726906598.jpg (30KB, 400x290px) Image search: [Google]
1479726906598.jpg
30KB, 400x290px
>>18146447
Thanks mate.

I guess it's time to go for windows 10... I think it's a driver issue too and what you write makes sense (about having old drivers/double install etc.). I don't have any other images currently but that shouldn't be hard to find. The computer is running completely stable when NOT gaming (current record 10 hours). I'll format the ssd AND the sshd and install win10 when I get home. If same issues I have another PSU available I can try, and at least remove the possibility of bad PSU being the cause.
>>
>>18146424
power supplies die sometimes. If components regularly fail during stress but aren't getting hot that's the first thing I'd check. If your computer unexpectedly shuts down without a blue screen that's your power supply almost every time.
>>
>>18146447
>driver issue
Driver issues cause BSOD, not sudden shutdowns with no errors

A sudden shutdown means a power issue.

Also there's no fucking reason a GPU idling at 35 should get to 83, that doesn't make any sense. Are you overclocking?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.