/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there anybody here who has beaten procrastination?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

Is there anybody here who has beaten procrastination?
>>
only the dead have seen the end of procrastination

-plato
>>
Every fucking day I wake up and spend my day studying in a cram school I wanted to quit tons of time and got through some pretty bad burn outs
>>
take a fucking cold shower, it must be soo could it hurts
get out scream of the pain, get dressed and do the shit you need to do
>>
>>18144802

if you're comfortable and need to do something, the first thing you should do is stand up

don't give it much thought, just stand up and do what you need to
>>
>>18144802
Nope, you're as good as dead
>>
>>18144815
this only works if you're actually motivated to do the thing, how else could I ever make myself take a painfully cold shower?
>>
>>18144826

this
>>18144821
>>
>>18144834

another way to think about it is, do it one step at a time

you can do small things anon, you can type like you're doing right now

if you do a lot of small things, eventually you'll do a big thing
>>
>>18144826
well continue living your miserable fucking life then. your the one who has to live it
>>
File: tumblr_inline_n6t4ovaP0u1r2vq4m.jpg (57KB, 500x393px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n6t4ovaP0u1r2vq4m.jpg
57KB, 500x393px
Moot has. Pic related
>>
>>18144802
I have and I used to suffer from it very bad.

The solution is simple and it sounds crazy. So think with an open mind and I'll give you a few token examples.

The solution? Don't do things. "Procrastination" means you're not doing something. Instead, actually don't do it.

Example:
>I need to clean my room
>Waaah. I dunn FEEL like it
>Decide: I won't do it.
>Face consequence. Whatever. Shrug it off.
>Be happy you spent yout time doing what you actually want to do, and absolve yorself from any guilt
Weeks later...
>Girlfriend coming over
>I need to clean room
>Without thinking about it, I clean my room in lightning speed
>Perfectly clean room omfg
...Wait a sec, this didn't "feel" like a chore. I didn't even consider procrastinating. I wonder why?

Another example:
>Need to do homework. Else I wont get the B in this class.
>But i dun wannnnaa!
>Decide not to do it. No guilt.
>Play video games, have legit fun because I don't feel guilt.
>Next day, fail the assignment, smile on my face. Yolo who carss
Weeks later...
>I need to do this homework or else I will FAIL
>Tell mom to make me food. Run to my room and grind this homework like it's no tomorrow
>Yeah it's work, but it doesn't "feel" like work. Never for a second considered delaying it. Just did it.
>Next day, pass the class with a low D, and graduate
What it makes me realize is that I don't really care about getting nice grades, or obeying people, or being responsible. What ACTUALLY matters to me is passing. That's it. All I honestly care about.

By embracing this techinque, you will completely eliminate your guilt, enjoy all of your time again, and learn more about yourself like what you ACTUALLY care about, rather than what you think yyou do.

Your values are different from mine. So take my examples with an open mind and change and apply them to your unique life.

tl;dr: Just don't do things.
>>
>>18144807
>everyday cramming
Are you one of those idiots that got into med school after watching 3 seasons of grey's anatomy?
>>
>>18145376
Don't listen to this. It's accepting procrastination rather than eliminating it.
>>
Procrastination being impossible to beat is just a meme, Anon. Thousands of people beat it every day.

Anyone who's done so won't respond to your post because they're out being productive, but it's possible. One step at a time, OP.
>>
>>18145376
>forcing yourself to cram
Exam in a month.
>no I don't wanna do it
Exam in a week
>FUCK FUCK FUCK I need to cram
>I can't fucking sleep or I'll waste 3 years and money here
>ahhhhhhhhh someone get me out of this nightmare
That didn't feel like a chore
>>
>>18145376
you are a mediocre person
>>
>>18145510
I don't procrastinate anymore. The entire habit has died off now that I know myself and do what I actually want to do.

I managed to finally kick this habit from learning this from another anon here. I'm merely paying it forward.

>>18145528
Like I said twice, you have to think with an open mind.
>>
>>18145550
Actually, I'm 25 now and quite well off.
>>
>>18145553
Here's to get to the real point: Your advice will lead most people to mediocrity or even worse, failure. You can't cram everything and you passing with a low D is proof that your strategy is fucking garbage.

Procastination is twofold, putting things off and the stress from putting things off. The stress is your mind trying to kick your ass to do something about your situation and to stop laying about. By putting it off while eliminating the stress you aren't actually making things better, you're distancing yourself from the problem and thus any chances you have of solving it. It's like someone lobbing off your arm and responding to the pain by just taking pills until you bleed to death.
>>
>>18145627
>You can't cram for everything*
>>
>>18145627
I understand but that's shortsighted. You are putting too much importance on the task at hand.

Procrastination isn't "putting something off". Procrastination is simply >not doing something

I will continue to use examples, because it's easier for me to articulate that way. But remember that they are just tokens, don't hang upon each example. So like...

If you notice that you need gas, but dont get it, then you're not procrastinating, you are doing something else entirely.
You are:
>driving
You are not:
>Getting gas
It's not to deny that you will get gas in the future. You might. You might not. But the moment you feel the need to "procrastinate" then immediately decide to not do it. Later, when you are desperate, you will hurry to the gas station. Maybe you'll be late for work. Maybe you won't make it and have to walk a mile carrying a pale of fuel. But never, at any point, did you feel like procrastinating.

Maybe the next time (or maybe after many times) you run out of fuel, then you will discover that you don't feel like procrastinating anymore. And if not - if you suffer forever with empty tanks -- that is ok! You have discovered something about yourself. You have learned that you do (or don't) give a fuck about how much gas is in your tank. And finally, you will be living according to your values instead of what you think you "should" be doing.

Think about it. If you were hungry and there was a delicious cheeseburger and fries (or whatever your favorite food is) sitting in your dining room, would you procrastinate to eat it? No...

Ok what about this: You are hungry, but there is beef in the fridge, must be cooked, cheese needing sliced, frozen chips in the freezer, and so many dishes to do. Would you procrastinate? Maybe...

Ok about this. Same as before, but now you are STARVING. Woud you procrastinate? Probably not! And if you did, it means >you value eating, less than you value working for food
And you just learned something about yourself.
>>
I used to procrastinate a lot, but then I realized that having free time without anything hanging over my head is way better than forcing free time with a ton of anxiety over it.
>>
>>18145730
I've backspaced 3 times because what I was writing to counter what you've said didn't sound right. Honestly, I agree with you or at least I agree with my understanding with what you're getting at. You're not putting it off until tomorrow or having anxiety and freaking out about doing a task so much that you very guiltily distract yourself. You're just changing these compulsions completely, instead of freaking out, you decide it's not a priority in the present so you're not doing it. When it is a priority to you personally in the present, you'll do it that moment just like when it isn't you won't do it. I think this is actually a good way to get shit done but with one caveat.

I think you'd need to be really introspective and mindful with this. To tweak your example: I -heavily enjoy- not starving, I -like- to eat, I like preparing a meal -a lot less-, I enjoy going to the store the least. I need food but I'd have to go to the store which I hate but by deciding not to eat in the past(or figuring out what happens when I decide not to eat) as a result of choosing not to prepare food or go to the store to get it I found out something that I would hate more than either of those - starving.

At any given time I'd basically have two choices I DO these things I may not like much else I face the consequences I like the least or I DO NOT do these things I don't like much because it's not a priority to do them right now/I'm ready to face the consequences and that's it.

Do or don't do, this really leaves no room for the procrastination anxiety, I feel like you were really onto something after all but keeping in mind the joys of DO and the potential miseries of DO NOT while making your choice seems crucial.

I don't know if I've synthesized what you've said well enough but I think I like it.
>>
>>18144802

procrastination causes me to stress the fuck out which helps me get work done... wish i didnt learn this habit as a child but its the only way i know how to get work done
>>
>>18146007
Yes. I agree, I think you understand very well.

And thank you for the nice words anon :)
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.