[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't high schools encourage anyone to go into trade careers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: cute_farseer_by_tauring_d3k939a.jpg (81KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
cute_farseer_by_tauring_d3k939a.jpg
81KB, 400x400px
Why don't high schools encourage anyone to go into trade careers?
>>
Because 50 years of manual labor isn't appealing
>>
>>18144745

because even if a trade can be stable and pays well enough it isn't considered to be 'successful' and its not nearly as easy to raise a family off of them as back in the day. they are GREAT for single men, but not so much for in general, especially with them being easy to get to.

college was a good idea until student loans made it hard to profit off of
>>
because nowadays everybody wants to be a fucking doctor or lawyer, trade careers are fine if you're a hard worker, better than trying to get a good education and ending up with a women's studies degree
>>
>>18144745
Wishful thinking that every snot nosed little brat is gonna be the next David Foster Wallace or Terrance Tao has overtaken taking a look at the uncomfortable reality that, because of income inequality, genetics, and maybe just a shitty home life, some students aren't going to be able to contribute much to society academically. We don't have realistic expectations for teachers anymore either, especially - we demand them to be miracle workers who can save ANY child, who can destroy the effects of poverty, abuse, cynicism, and/or hopelessness all on their own, all for absolutely dogshit pay as their unions get their shit pushed in.
>>
>>18144745
Because the education system is furthering its own interests by funneling students into more education.
>>
>>18145255
>>18145338
But even then, the students with mediocre/shit grades get community college shilled towards them, its just stupid.
>>
They wouldn't get the high "college enrollment rate" dick waving status they currently enjoy. Go to CC and learn a trade.
>>
>>18145476
Pretty much this.
>>
>Go to Community College for TIG welding program
>Two nights a week 6-9PM September-february.
>Graduate
>Get certified and OSHA card
>Get hired through agency one week later
>Good starting pay, easy work. I repair mistakes that a robot welder makes on fans we produce.
>Get to listen to music all day, 7-330 five days a week
>Once I get more experience I can move on to a company that pays twice as much
>Making more money than most of my college graduate friends, most aren't even using their degrees
>Physical labor aspects of the job are helping me stay fit
>Welding is fun. TIG is very precise and almost like an art. Your technique and skill is shown in your welds, so it's very satisfying when you are able to do perfect beads every time.
>Girls in my shop (Large company, actually good amount of attractive women) view me as higher status than the other unskilled workers because I have a certificate, get paid more, and wear a fancy 500$ mask while I work.

Trades are great, but you HAVE to have a good work ethic. You can't live life like it's The Office, you gotta be good to go far in trades. Connections are useless if you aren't good at what you do.
>>
>>18145495
Would trades be easier if you're physically fit?
>>
>>18145501
Depends on the trade. Certain trades like residential electrical, HVAC, mechanics, etc benefit from being as bony mode as possible. Rippling muscles just make that kind of work torture since you can't fit your arms where your hands could reach if you were a skelly.
>>
Better question, why are high school kids so dumb these days? Just cause someone tells you college is the next step doesn't mean you can't form your own opinion based on research to decide what YOU want to do after high school.

I'm not that old, 30, and yeah I was told go to college straight after high school. I grew up wanting to do manual labor though because it's what my dad did, and honestly I looked up to him. If it was good enough for him then it would be good enough for me, and it has been good enough for me. My brother works in an office and I couldn't stand that. I've always liked doing physical things. I had to fight my parents tooth and nail when I told them I wasn't going to college, but I stood up for what I thought I wanted to do. Kids these days are afraid to make their own decisions sometimes. Hell I was afraid but I did it anyway.

The point I'm trying to make is don't blame the system but instead look at yourself. You are allowed to do whatever the fuck you want. Sure the system is rigged and there's early indoctrination into believing you need a "higher" education but the truth is there's a job for everyone and not all of them require a degree.

Lastly, it's good college is still a meme. It means there's less idiots in my field of work.
>>
>>18145545
For the most part it's parents (and youths) who were completely unprepared for the effects of the internet. People have been indecisive since forever, but the internet has made it so you can distract yourself more conveniently whenever you feel indecisive. There's no excuse not to do research in this day and age regarding future career opportunities.
>>
Those dont make people be in five to six figures in debt.
>>
All of your teachers have a college degree, all of them are underpaid and overworked. They don't want to be in hell alone.
>>
The trades are one of those things that you get out what you pay in, lots of people don't realize that and think you need 75k plus to live a life but all you really need is half a brain when it comes to personal finance.

t. Arborist
>>
>>18144745

1. Children are uninformed. They have no life experience and are generally incapable of making well informed decision.

2. College institutions, along with the nearly 900 BILLION dollars in student debt owed across the U.S., hold too much over the head of American students. There is too much money involved. Too many people become far too rich off of the backs of desperate middle class families for the narrative of higher education to change course any time soon.

3. Every aspect of education is underfunded. Our current president is suggesting a 54 billion dollar defense spending increase while decreasing endowment funds, scholarships, after school programs, book programs, elective funding, family planning, and a myriad of other community resources that help support and educate young people during their time in grade school.

Want to see the problem? Look at the world. Look at the people running it. They don't give a shit about people being educated. They just give a shit about people being a burden.
>>
>>18145495
have fun with your exploded knees in 10 years though

that is if you don't get replaced by machines
>>
File: 34125.jpg (146KB, 496x496px) Image search: [Google]
34125.jpg
146KB, 496x496px
>>18145598
Not that anon but my knees already pop like blackcats whenever I bend them. You can hear it from like 20 feet away. Doesn't bother me though, doesn't feel like anything honestly, and I actually still hit the gym and am able to squat heavy all the way to down. My knees are probably in better shape than most people despite the way they sound.

As far as my work is concerned. A machine could never replace me. At least not any machine during my lifetime. That's why it's called skilled labor, friend.
>>
>>18145476
This is succinct and accurate.

>>18145495
The only thing about welding is that it's bad for your eyes.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.