[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alcoholic quitting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1488859547084.jpg (103KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1488859547084.jpg
103KB, 1080x1080px
Quitting booze cold turkey today for an undetermined amount of time.

I've been drinking 10+ drinks a day for the past 13 years, with only a few gaps of a couple of months every few years. But I'm really committed to getting it under control this time around.

Any tips for getting through the first few days? The first 3 or 4 are always the hardest, and then my cravings don't subside until about 2 weeks in.
>>
>>18144510
You can do a benzo or barbiturate taper for the first 3 days for anxiety. You'll also want aspirin and an anti nausea med.

After that it's just one day at a time. Wake up and tell yourself you don't need to drink today and deserve has nothing to do with it. You won't drink today, not this second, not this hour.
>>
>>18144525

Those aren't available to me, but I'll pick up some aspirin and whatever I can for anti-nausea.

I've never been the kind of person who thinks they "deserve" a drink. My biggest problem is my party lifestyle, so I've basically told all of my friends and coworkers I'm on a strict diet because of a stomach issue and that I won't be going out, just coming to work.
>>
>>18144532
Librium is a super weak one, not sure if you can get it over the counter.

I work at a rehab.

How has alcohol affected your life in a negative way.

Take the Michigan Alcohol Screening test.
http://counsellingresource.com/quizzes/drug-testing/alcohol-mast/
>>
>>18144540
>http://counsellingresource.com/quizzes/drug-testing/alcohol-mast/

I got an 8, which is "problem drinker."

But, I'm easily ready to admit that I'm an alcoholic. I'm ALWAYS drinking, if I can. It's just that I'm exceedingly responsible and still rebound really well from a night of hitting the sauce, unlike most. I know it will eventually catch up to me, and that won't always be the case.

Part of what is prompting me to quit for a while is that I'm seeing the hugely negative effect it's having on some of my best (alcoholic) friends. They're having major health problems, losing jobs, and are in terrible shape because they can't put the bottle down even for a couple of hours.

I'm not to that point and know that if I keep it up, I will be.
>>
>>18144554
I drink a lot but it's never gotten in the way of anything. I get a 2-4. I drink scotch almost every night.
>>
>>18144554
Not the guy that you replied to, but I'm glad you're trying to take care of yourself, anon. I had some times when I was younger when I was buying multiple handles of bourbon a week, but I didn't recognize it as being a problem until after I'd already had a full-scale breakdown.

It's hard to admit that you have a problem, but I'm glad that you're trying to fix it before it develops further.

Good luck, friend. We'll be rooting for you.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.